Quantcast

Big screen TV help

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Anyone know anything about all the competing big screen technologies? Any recomendations on a particular TV?

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Transcend said:
LCD, DLP, OLED, various forms of projections, tube. Have fun!
Thanks for summarizing my confusion.

50 inch.

I don't know anything else.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
InFocus makes a new line of projectors for about $1000 that are considered "portable" home theaters. Outside of those, I like the Panasonic LCD that I want to get to replace my tube in the next year or so.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I am not up to speed on alot of the latest TV technology. One thing to remember is make sure it is HDCP compatible if you plan on also getting a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player, otherwis you will only be able to view your movies at 25% quality.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
BeerDemon said:
Anyone know anything about all the competing big screen technologies? Any recomendations on a particular TV?
Yes.

Go Samsung DLP (52" or bigger).

You can get the 1080p for booco bucks or go with the 720p version for significantly less but just about the same quality (nothing is broadcast in 1080p yet). However, if you plan on hooking up your satellite (or cable), PS 3, and blu-ray dvd player all at once, you can kiss ease of use goodbye. You'll have to run them all through the 1 (yes, one) HDMI connector on the boob-tube. So, place the set in a very convenient place, cause you'll be hooking and unhooking the HDMI plugs a lot.

And, no, no one makes a compatible splitter yet. I think Tenchiro posted a linky awhile back to an article that said Hollywood was shafting just about every single HD TV buyer that bought a set prior to the middle of '05....cause they didn't have an HDMI input at all...

Anywayz, I was just about to shell out 2g on a 52" Samsung DLP with all the bells and whistles...then my rigs got stolen and I had to put that on hold. Now this nutty business with the inputs and I've put my plans on perma-hold until some sort of standard comes out...Kinda like the rear thru-axle standards...Heh.

As for LCD, plasma, and LCOS, I found that DLP was more to my taste with video games and sports casts (A buddy of mine has the same model I was looking at and I was allowed to dink around with what I'd be using it for). I liked it waaaaaaay better with the deeper blacks than the other 3 choices. Also, after the life cycle of the bulb is done, all it needs is a new one. No need to replace the entire tv at $X,XXX amount. Granted the bulb is 200 bucks...but that's chump change for around 4,000 hours of use. As opposed to 3g for around the same in plasma....

My .02

(This info was correct as of about a month ago...I haven't had time to keep up to the second on this. If I'm out of date, which is entirely possible, keep the flaming to a minimum. Just post a linky so I can inform myself. Thank you.)

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Sweet thanks squirrel thats the best advice I've seen so far.

Regarding LCD - seems to me the problem there is display brightness.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Oh - we don't have many places here to buy one. Is Best Buy a decent choice?

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
good info squirrel... whats the model number for the one you are looking at ??? since samsung is korean, i wonder if they are that much cheaper there - have to look into it...i m pretty sure korea is NTSC..

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I bought my 50" Panisonic from Plasma Concepts over the 'net.

It was sent directly to my house no problems. It had a 'tip indicator' on the package and it showed that it was not tipped or otherwise handled badly.

Plasma Concepts sells all kinds of tv's not just plasmas. I recommend them highly!

Link: http://www.plasmaconcepts.com/

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Aren't plasmas disposable?! If you have a problem you're screwed. There's a better technology out there. A woman I work with was talking about it, but I don't watch TV, so I would spend the money on bikes.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BeerDemon said:
Thanks for summarizing my confusion.

50 inch.

I don't know anything else.
No problem, I am in the same boat as you (shopping for new tv). There are a TON of competing technologies, some much better then others, but most are the same quality wise. Hell there is even 2 types of plain old LCDs.

Just make sure you have HDMI capability in whatever you buy, and try and get 1080i.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
N8 said:
I bought my 50" Panisonic from Plasma Concepts over the 'net.

It was sent directly to my house no problems. It had a 'tip indicator' on the package and it showed that it was not tipped or otherwise handled badly.

Plasma Concepts sells all kinds of tv's not just plasmas. I recommend them highly!

Link: http://www.plasmaconcepts.com/
And they have no idea what they are talking about when you call for customer service. Sweet. Just where a guy who isn't up on the tech lingo should shop!

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
get thee to avsforum.com

I was looking for 50-52" and ended up with a 50" Sony LCD rear projection. I couldn't stand the single chip DLP "rainbow effect or RBE." Other people don't see it all and the new 3 chip DLPs are supposed to fix that entirely. I didn't want plasma or lcd and although I don't usually care for Sony, I really like the picture on the KDFE 50A10. The tv is in a fairly bright room and I've never had an issue with the black levels. There are some home brew filters that can improve black levels if you watch the tv in pitch black conditions with lots of movies that have dark scenes. There is something called "screen door effect" on the LCD rear projections that I see on occasion but it doesn't really bother me. I usually notice it on the HD channels when there are bright white scenes like the snowboarding or skiing movies they like to show on HDNet. The LCoS JVC sets got pretty good reviews too but there was only one in my local area and they had a poor feed to check picture quality. Be careful with some of the Samsung DLPs if you don't see the RBE but plan on planning video games. Lots of folks reported a delay between the audio and video when playing games but I'm sure the newer sets have addressed some of that. It's been a while since I bought mine but the avsforum has tons info on the latest and greatest.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
HA! I was actually looking at the 56" model....oops...

Mike B. said:
get thee to avsforum.com

I was looking for 50-52" and ended up with a 50" Sony LCD rear projection. I couldn't stand the single chip DLP "rainbow effect or RBE." Other people don't see it all and the new 3 chip DLPs are supposed to fix that entirely. I didn't want plasma or lcd and although I don't usually care for Sony, I really like the picture on the KDFE 50A10. The tv is in a fairly bright room and I've never had an issue with the black levels. There are some home brew filters that can improve black levels if you watch the tv in pitch black conditions with lots of movies that have dark scenes. There is something called "screen door effect" on the LCD rear projections that I see on occasion but it doesn't really bother me. I usually notice it on the HD channels when there are bright white scenes like the snowboarding or skiing movies they like to show on HDNet. The LCoS JVC sets got pretty good reviews too but there was only one in my local area and they had a poor feed to check picture quality. Be careful with some of the Samsung DLPs if you don't see the RBE but plan on planning video games. Lots of folks reported a delay between the audio and video when playing games but I'm sure the newer sets have addressed some of that. It's been a while since I bought mine but the avsforum has tons info on the latest and greatest.
Yeah, the AV time delay is non-existent on the DLP I was looking at...on my games anyway...:D I don't notice the RBE and the black levels on the DLP are fantastic.

partsbara said:
good info squirrel... whats the model number for the one you are looking at ??? since samsung is korean, i wonder if they are that much cheaper there - have to look into it...i m pretty sure korea is NTSC..
The HL-R5667W. My buddy has a 61" and it r0x0rZ my s0x0rZ.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Secret Squirrel said:
HA! I was actually looking at the 56" model....oops...

Yeah, the AV time delay is non-existent on the DLP I was looking at...on my games anyway...:D I don't notice the RBE and the black levels on the DLP are fantastic.

The HL-R5667W. My buddy has a 61" and it r0x0rZ my s0x0rZ.
Weird thing that RBE, my wife didn't see it but I did. Of course she doesn't see the SDE either. I could never fit the 61" in my tv room and get far enough away for the best picture quality but it should would make football that much more enjoyable.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Mike B. said:
Weird thing that RBE, my wife didn't see it but I did. Of course she doesn't see the SDE either. I could never fit the 61" in my tv room and get far enough away for the best picture quality but it should would make football that much more enjoyable.
Yeah...I'd be at the closest limit for the 56...heh....I think with how close I'd be playing Halo 2 it would be about a 10' effective screen or something stupid....Yeah, I don't notice the RBE but found that I couldn't deal with the SDE...too much distraction....it was really trippy watching a DLP next to a LCD on one side and a plasma on the other....I thought that I was on acid!!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Transcend said:
And they have no idea what they are talking about when you call for customer service. Sweet. Just where a guy who isn't up on the tech lingo should shop!
Anyone dropping the coin for one of these giant idiot boxes should read up before buying anyway. If I go to buy a high priced item, I make sure I know WTF before I ever talk to a salesman or tech support.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
H8R said:
Anyone dropping the coin for one of these giant idiot boxes should read up before buying anyway. If I go to buy a high priced item, I make sure I know WTF before I ever talk to a salesman or tech support.
Of course, n8 didn't. He apparently still doesn't. :rolleyes:

As for giant idiot boxes...I'm replacing my 43" sony wega tube 400lb monstrosity with a nice slim 50' something or other shortly.

Why? Because Football, Discovery Channel, National Geographic channel and Xbox 360 are way sweeter in HD. :rofl: