Quantcast

Big South Fork Natl. Recreation Area, TN.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I got up way before the sun this morning, jumped on 40 west and headed up to the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River for a day of riding. I was planning on heading down to Georgia, but Im glad I chose this place instead, because its been on my to-do list for a couple of years now.
The Big South Fork forest encompasses a bunch of the watershed of the Cumberland river, and on the north is surrounded itself by Daniel Boone National forest, so there's always a good chance you'll see some wildlife, because its a pretty vast stretch of woods. It's criscrossed by tons of multi-use roads and hiking and equestrian trails, but MTBing is still in a juvenile state in comparison. Still, they have about 15 miles of dedicated MTB trails and stringing them together by the network of fire roads can make for a long day. Also, during the weekdays, some of the equestrian trails are open on an "experimental basis" to MTBers so they can see how it works out.

Anyway, this is up on the cumberland plateau, and since it's at such elevation, the flora is quite different from the oak/hickory hardwoods we have around my area. The place used to be full of pines, but the pine beetle infestation of years ago (and still today I guess) really took its toll on the place.

But as you can see, the native, broad leafed magnolias are doing a wonderful job of filling things in. The were covered in water droplets this morning, so I was soaked riding through them.

The trail itself is really excellent. I know it's cliche, but there really is something for everyone there. One minute you're cruising through pines, the next its a rocky descent. At one point I popped out in a creek bottom, and I thought Id broken on through into the back side of Pisgah.

Yeah, probably not too many places outside of the appalachians will you run into rhododendrons, but they had quite a healthy population.
And they were blooming nicely.

...but the riding was great. I tried and tried to stop and take pictures, but I was just having too much fun. I am getting quite a bit better with the self timer though. I got this shot on the first try.

...but then I did this drop/roll three times and I could never time it right. This was the best shot I ended up with and then I was too tired to climb back up it and try again.

There was also another climb I was trying to do and timer-shoot, but I failed miserably at timing it. Anyway, so you're cruising along, start to head up a hill, and it turns into a slickrock/sandstone climb. Its not quite as pronounce and Bigrock/Cedar Rock in dupont, but still pretty cool. This pic doesnt do it justice, but you get the idea.

In heaven, all trail signs will look exactly like this one:

...and the animals in this place could use to learn some freaking manners.

Get the **** off the trail you slow bastard.

He was a pretty cool little guy actually. Never went in his shell, just stood his ground until I moved him.

All in all, had a great day and I would recommend the place highly for a day trip. The place could be an MTB mecca with some work. It's huge and the terrain is amazing, but I guess the interest in the area is just more horse-related or something. Oh well.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Sweet! Thanks for the great post Burley. I've spent many a weekend hiking, camping, floating in the BSFNRA. In my opinion it is one of the most amazing places on Earth. I grew up in Knoxville and aways prefered the Plateau to the Smokies. Oddly enough, I've never done any biking there because, as you say, the state of biking there is still in it's infancy. I'm really glad they are starting to make some changes. The riding there could be truely epic (over 125,000 acres of land).

A little google image search on why I am so stoked on the place for those of you who have never been there:

Natural Arches:

Waterfalls:

Indian Rockhouses:

Whitewater: