Quantcast

Big time job interview comming up!!! Woo Hoo!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Well, I have my first BIG job interview in my new chosen career field. I’m leaving the world of Contract Engineering and pumping CAD, for a job in the legal profession.

My first step is one as a paralegal. I graduate this with a Bachelor of Science degree in Paralegal Studies this year, then law school. This job interview is for the position of a paralegal.

So, I’m thinking this is a HUGE step forward.

The interview is with a pretty good sized law firm in Richmond. I’m about as nervous as can be, hoping I don’t botch the interview. :eek:

The legal world is big time different from engineering….any tips would be hugely appreciated! :thumb:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Good luck! Since I work in HR, I have done a lot of interviews over the past 6 years. Since you are planning to attend law school, it sounds like you are more than qualified for the position. In addition, companies like to hire applicants who can grow with the company.

The most important thing you can do on an interview is take a second to think about your answers before you say them. You also want to show some confidence, not arrogance, but a nice level of confidence.

Before I make an employment decision, I need to feel comfortable with an applicant. If I feel that he or she was not being truthful with his or her answers, I wouldn’t feel comfortable brining this person aboard. Just relax and be yourself—you want to give the interviewer a warm and fuzzy feeling that you will take of business…

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
N8 said:
If you have a degree in engineering and a law degree, you can become a US Patent Att'y.
I thought of that route, and to be honest, at least for right now, I'm looking to another focus, such as product liability torts, defense and and or litigation...

Even though Patent Att'y.'s make boo-ku bucks...:think:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
blt2ride said:
Good luck! Since I work in HR, I have done a lot of interviews over the past 6 years. Since you are planning to attend law school, it sounds like you are more than qualified for the position. In addition, companies like to hire applicants who can grow with the company.

The most important thing you can do on an interview is take a second to think about your answers before you say them. You also want to show some confidence, not arrogance, but a nice level of confidence.

Before I make an employment decision, I need to feel comfortable with an applicant. If I feel that he or she was not being truthful with his or her answers, I wouldn’t feel comfortable brining this person aboard. Just relax and be yourself—you want to give the interviewer a warm and fuzzy feeling that you will take of business…
I think my concern lies in tying in my 20 years in a professional environment, and how those skill sets will benefit the law firm and translate well into the legal world.

I believe expounding on my penchant for research and analysis will be key.

Also, I was wondering if I should bring sample of legal documents that i have drafted for school with me...While this advice had been given, my initial inclination says no.

Thoughts?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I may be young, but I think I have something to offer (since I have interviewed a few times)...I would def say be confident but not arrogant (def a fine line) and don’t be super reserved either. The last time I interviewed I kept thinking to myself "if I was behind the desk what would I want to hear" not saying I lied (because I didn’t at all) but just think before you talk, and try to convey the information you are presenting in the correct manner. I got my job here at AE and later found out that I apparently made such a good impression during the interview that I beat out other more qualified candidates. That is my advice, good luck man I know the pre interview feeling too well...:thumb:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
zmtber said:
try not to hesitate when you are answering questions
Oh, I don't know. I'd rather someone take a few seconds and think about an answer instead of rambling something off the top of their head. I don't need a quick thinker, I want someone who will think before reacting.

Good luck, Ralphie!

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
sirknight6 said:
Well, I have my first BIG job interview in my new chosen career field. I’m leaving the world of Contract Engineering and pumping CAD, for a job in the legal profession.

My first step is one as a paralegal. I graduate this with a Bachelor of Science degree in Paralegal Studies this year, then law school. This job interview is for the position of a paralegal.

So, I’m thinking this is a HUGE step forward.

The interview is with a pretty good sized law firm in Richmond. I’m about as nervous as can be, hoping I don’t botch the interview. :eek:

The legal world is big time different from engineering….any tips would be hugely appreciated! :thumb:

I am in a somewhat-similar situation. I work as a civil engineer and I am planning on law school for 2007. I am taking the LSAT next month.

What made you decide to change careers? In my case, engineering isn't what I hoped it would be and I feel my career options are limited.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
The reasoning is twofold. One, I topped out with my education (2 associates degrees), and the face of engineering has changed dramatically within the past few years.

I am fed up with the feast and famine mentality of contract engineering, and want more stability. I didn’t have the heart to finish out my bachelors Degree in engineering, but decided to transfer as many credits as I could to Kaplan University, and finish my bachelors Degree in Paralegal Studies, then off to law school.

The reason for the change to law run deep, but the bottom line is to help people who otherwise cannot help themselves…

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
Those are some solid reasons, good luck with everything.

You probably have more insight than I do with your paralegal degree, what issues/problems do you see engineers having in law school/practice? Do you think that an engineering degree limits your possible career paths as a lawyer?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
nmjb said:
Those are some solid reasons, good luck with everything.

You probably have more insight than I do with your paralegal degree, what issues/problems do you see engineers having in law school/practice? Do you think that an engineering degree limits your possible career paths as a lawyer?
Not necessarily. Engineers with a solid educational background and work experience are more apt to become patent attorney, or work in corporate real estate or construction and engineering litigation or mediation.

However, I fell into the trappings of contract engineering, which by its own nature tags me a whore. The term used back in the day was "jobshopper", and essentially that's what I am.

The difficulty in getting a long term career position is the fact that I am typically precluded from consideration of long term permanent positions from the nature of the jobshopping I did.

I did it out of necessity, not out of desire, in hopes of gaining experience, but as time wore on, better paying jobs became quite enticing.

20 years later, I'm trapped, jaded, discouraged and quite a bit dismayed. So it's as if I'm entering the work force for the first time, just with a better expectaion of how it works.

So a career change was in fact a smart move on my part on many levels. The skills I had acquired through design engineering has made much of the research tasks relatively easy to transfer to the legal realm, and the analytical aspects of engineers bodes well for legal research and application.