Quantcast

bigger brakes?

Sep 16, 2008
Blackstone, MA
i just bought a khs xc 004. ive read reviews that depending on what type riding you are doing, you should buy bigger brakes. if anyone rides this type of bike, what do you reccomend for all-mountain riding?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I think it depends more on how you ride than what you ride. It also depends on how heavy you are.
I run 8" brakes on my all mountain bike. But i also use it for riding DH, and i'm heavy. I weigh 210 and have done some downhill racing. So i'm not really on the typical xc bike and i'm not your typical xc rider. How much do you weigh? Have you ridden any DH? If you've ridden a lot of DH, you'll probably be a lot more aggressive on the downhill.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I've had bikes with pretty much all rotor sizes. I live on the North Shore and ride there so I have found that 6 inch rotors are not optimal for me. On my Nomad I ran an 8 and 7 and same with the VPFree. On my Blur LTC I run 7 and 6 and it seems ample. Higher rider and bike weight, higher speeds, longer descents while on the brakes all ask for bigger brake rotors.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
On that bike, the issue isn't the rotor size. Pick up a set of Avid BB5's (or 7's) with some nice levers if you want to stay mechanical.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Depends on where you ride. I had BB7's with 6" rotors on my HT for a couple of runs. On the Shore that was outright frightening. Swapped the adapters and rotors to 8" and all is good now (even if I still vastly prefer the Juicy's on my fully). I am about 190 - 200 in all my gear.

If I had still been in MA, the 6" rotors would have been just fine.