Quantcast

Biggest failures ever?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
It's "hotly debated" in the sense that a whole bunch of people who have no idea what they're talking about say, "OMG vaccines cause autism" while the majority of the scientific community says, "you're all a bunch of friggin' idiots with no evidence for this whatsoever."

There was recently a bunch of news articles that indicated the one study that actually found any evidence for this was full of fraud and was suspected to be financially motivated.

http://briandeer.com/mmr/lancet-paper.htm
http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c5347.full
http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c5258
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/checkup/2011/01/wakefield_tried_to_capitalize.html

Idiot celebrities are given a certain amount of credibility just for being famous. Using it as a platform to push dangerous and unproven agendas is a problem, not just for the people who listened.
on NPR I heard a vaccination debate between a "mommy" and a doctor that was leading a research team on the topic. He was trying to tell her that there was no danger... and she was all "mercury this, antifreeze that"... and he was intelligently debunking everything she said.

It basically came down to her saying, "nothing you are telling me sounds believable". So he said... "ok then, next caller".

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that whole vaccine thing?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/06/autism.vaccines/index.html?hpt=T2

A now-retracted British study that linked autism to childhood vaccines is an "elaborate fraud," according to a medical journal -- a charge the physician behind the study vigorously denies.
The British medical journal BMJ, which published the results of its investigation, concluded Dr. Andrew Wakefield misrepresented or altered the medical histories of all 12 of the patients whose cases formed the basis of the 1998 study -- and that there was "no doubt" Wakefield was responsible. The journalist who wrote the BMJ articles said Thursday he believes Wakefield should face criminal charges.
"It's one thing to have a bad study, a study full of error, and for the authors then to admit that they made errors," Fiona Godlee, BMJ's editor-in-chief, told CNN. "But in this case, we have a very different picture of what seems to be a deliberate attempt to create an impression that there was a link by falsifying the data."

Britain stripped Wakefield of his medical license in May.

more importantly...

Wakefield has been unable to reproduce his results in the face of criticism, and other researchers have been unable to match them.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
on NPR I heard a vaccination debate between a "mommy" and a doctor that was leading a research team on the topic. He was trying to tell her that there was no danger... and she was all "mercury this, antifreeze that"... and he was intelligently debunking everything she said.

It basically came down to her saying, "nothing you are telling me sounds believable". So he said... "ok then, next caller".
I dated a woman with two kids that knew for a fact vaccines caused autism, when pressed for evidence she had none.

If it werent for her taking it in the back door and drinking manbatter like a fat kid she would have been called stupid.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My favorite is Lloyd Fredendall, the original commander of the US Troops in Africa during WWII.

Described as "Small in stature, loud and rough in speech, he was outspoken in his opinions and critical of superiors and subordinates alike. He was inclined to jump to conclusions which were not always well founded. Fredendall rarely left his command post for personal visits and reconnaissance, yet he was impatient with the recommendations of subordinates more familiar with the terrain and other conditions than he"

During the advance into Tunisia, Fredendall used an entire engineer company of the 19th Engineer Regiment to build him a large, dug-in Corps headquarters bunker 70 miles (110 km) behind the front in a place called Speedy Valley (nine miles southeast of Tébessa). Blasted and drilled out of solid rock, the bunker (actually two U-shaped complexes running 160 feet (49 m) into the hillside) took three weeks to construct. An entire anti-aircraft battalion was emplaced to protect the headquarters. Fredendall also ordered a bulletproof Cadillac similar to Eisenhower’s, and regularly phoned Oran to find out why it wasn’t being delivered faster. General Omar N. Bradley called the headquarters "an embarrassment to every American soldier," and General Eisenhower, after viewing the elaborate structure, reminded his senior commanders that even generals must assume personal risk in combat.

On 5 March 1943, after the American rout at Kasserine Pass, Eisenhower visited II Corps headquarters and conferred with Bradley. Eisenhower asked "What do you think of the command here?" Bradley's response was "It's pretty bad. I've talked to all the division commanders. To a man they've lost confidence in Fredendall as the corps commander." The British general Harold Alexander informed Eisenhower that he would welcome a replacement for Fredendall. On 5 March 1943, Eisenhower personally flew to Tebessa to inform Fredendall of his decision to replace him, which he couched in terms of a routine assignment. Eisenhower arranged the replacement so that Fredendall's reputation was not formally brought into disrepute, an action some believe he would soon come to regret. On 6 March 1943, at Eisenhower's direction, George S. Patton replaced Fredendall as commander of II Corps.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Who comes to mind when you think FAIL?
My favorite is Thomas Midgley, Jr. The invention that made him famous was the addition of ethyl lead to gasoline, it stopped engine knocking and markedly reduced the IQ of several generations of people. He also lead the team that developed Freon, we all know how that went. Eventually he came down with polio which paralyzed him. He invented a system of ropes and pulleys to move himself around the bed. This invention strangled him.

A modern example is Jenny McCarthy and her anti-vaccine campaign. Jenny decided that MMR vaccine caused autism, based on scant evidence and her "mommy instinct" (this means "guessing") As a result of her influence, hundreds of children have died of easily preventable diseases and thousands more have been sick. Maybe you should stick with showing your titties Jenny, this thinking thing isn't working for you.

More examples?
Point noted, Thomas Midgley, Jr. = Inspector Clouseau.

And Jenny McCarthy, pfft! She's one to talk! Why I bet her pert boobies have caused FAT LIP disease among tons of former sex partners!