Quantcast

Biggest field of view goggles. What and where are they?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I like my Smith Wildcat glasses for my regular helmet but they don't work with my TLD D3. Is there such thing as goggles with a massive field of view similar to glasses? I find goggles have big plastic frames that take up a lot of room in the helmet's opening.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My eyes turn into wells when I go faster than 12.73 mph.
Back when I regularly wore goggles I found my eyes would water tons any time I didn't put them on. But I've barely worn goggles or a full face at all for the last few years and my eyes just don't water anywhere near as much anymore.
Could be that my eyes just got used to air rushing by and deal with it better.
Could be I can simply no longer reach 12.73mph ;)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Back when I regularly wore goggles I found my eyes would water tons any time I didn't put them on. But I've barely worn goggles or a full face at all for the last few years and my eyes just don't water anywhere near as much anymore.
You don't wear contacts, do you.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
AFAIK, For skiing, Smith and Oakley offer bigger field of view goggles. Will they fit w/ a TLD D3? No idea. Probably, but may have a gaper gap. You know, for better cooling ;) Take your helmet to your fav store, czech it out.

In my experience skiing goggles aren't any different (better/worse) than MX goggles. In fact, in the mud/rain/cold, skiing goggles do better with fogging up than MX. MX may be better for dust, can't prove it tho as I have a specific "sand" goggle from Oakley and those thing are hot and fog up like crazy easy. I just got them as they were on sale and I'm a sensitive eye guy. And can't really tell if they are better eliminating the sand/dust than any other goggle.

I do wear contacts, and if I'm doing bike park laps without goggles, I have been known to loose a contact due to dry eyes. Ever ridden with 1 contact? Shit is bonkers. Like you know there's a rock there, but you can't really tell how big it is or when you're going to hit it due to depth perception issues. Oh and I'm like blind, my Rx is -6.5 :D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ever ridden with 1 contact? Shit is bonkers.
By mistake. yes.
when I first attempted to use them I must've spent the best part of an hour in the bathroom dropping and trying to get the bastard things in before leaving for an uplift day. my eyesight seemed better at the start of the day but once we started doing laps i was really struggling so pulled over to remove them. Only I could only manage to get one out. turns out the other one was on the bathroom floor.

One of my ex's did her Phd on "stereopsis in depth perception" (can't remember the full massively long title). Turns out that's just one of the brains ways of figuring out depth perception and we humans still have depth perception even with just one eye.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We let pilots fly with one eye, they have to do a flight with an inspector to show that they can do it successfully.

I remember driving home with one eye after I had slammed my head against a branch and it had swollen shut. Not a big problem in the day. The night though, holy shit. There is depth perception, but it takes adaptation for sure.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Anyone has these? I had difficulty arguing with the sales people that this isn't a silver mirror lens, despite what the sticker says.
20221012_114214.jpg

The lens has transparent amber appearance.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Anyone has these? I had difficulty arguing with the sales people that this isn't a silver mirror lens, despite what the sticker says.
View attachment 183132

The lens has transparent amber appearance.
All those giant facade goggles give the impression of a huge field of view but if you look at the pic that bullcrew posted, they're often just normal sized goggles beneath them which often negates half the point. Did the foam ring against your face seem any bigger?

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
All those giant facade goggles give the impression of a huge field of view but if you look at the pic that bullcrew posted, they're often just normal sized goggles beneath them which often negates half the point. Did the foam ring against your face seem any bigger?
I didn't remove them from the box because I wanted to return them without any hassle. The foam ring looked bigger than of the Accuri though.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
or... you're just a hardened sonofabitch that doesn't cry. a man's man, as it were.

:D