Quantcast

Biggest fork available,

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
One more step to Giant stores selling literally only Giant stuff.

One reason why I stopped shopping at one of our local shops, who decided to sell out and change to a Giant branded store.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
As somebody who was working at a shop that carried giant recently, I'd say this is probably pretty cool. Thing about Giant is, they don't seem to give a fuck about the high end market. Sure, they put out bikes, and frequently really fuckin good ones too, but they're rarely cutting edge, and it just doesn't seem like they give too many fucks about that market. They seem more interested in manufacturing other companies bikes. Which is sweet, because they do a pretty good job on the manufacturing side of things.

So this fork right here? And the giant suspension as a whole? They're not going to be trying to compete with Fox, or high end Rockshox. Not with this fork, and probably not ever.

They're looking to get it rolling on the $1500-$2000 entry level full suspension market that's currently saturated with dogshit from Suntour and Rockshox. They're looking to introduce a true entry level suspension fork that actually comes with a compression adjustment, not just a lockout and an air spring (if you're lucky). Which would be fucking cool. Because the sooner entry level riders realize that suspension can be better than the current crop of dogshit from suntour (except the Rux, obvs) and low end Rockshox, the better.

I also wouldn't be surprised if this is a shot aimed pretty much directly at suntour - "hey, look at us guys, we can manufacture your suspension for you. We know what the fuck were doing"

My guess is Giants 10 year plan isn't to have replaced Rockshox or Fox with their own suspension, but instead to be manufacturing Rockshox and Fox suspension for them.

Which I think is probably a pretty cool idea. And on the short term front, the sooner Suntour products stop appearing on bicycles, particularly bicycles that cost over $400, and ESPECIALLY on bicycles that cost over $1000, the better.

Except the Rux. That thing is a national treasure.

That's my prediction anyway.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I don't care about XC anything, but I do respect GIant's manufacturing ability, and think mid-price suspension from them could be cool. MTB development in suspension, frame design, and (soon) geometry is stabilizing. Since R&D costs should be going down due to that, I think fairer prices for well-made Taiwanese products would be great for this industry.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As somebody who was working at a shop that carried giant recently, I'd say this is probably pretty cool. Thing about Giant is, they don't seem to give a fuck about the high end market. Sure, they put out bikes, and frequently really fuckin good ones too, but they're rarely cutting edge, and it just doesn't seem like they give too many fucks about that market. They seem more interested in manufacturing other companies bikes. Which is sweet, because they do a pretty good job on the manufacturing side of things.

So this fork right here? And the giant suspension as a whole? They're not going to be trying to compete with Fox, or high end Rockshox. Not with this fork, and probably not ever.

They're looking to get it rolling on the $1500-$2000 entry level full suspension market that's currently saturated with dogshit from Suntour and Rockshox. They're looking to introduce a true entry level suspension fork that actually comes with a compression adjustment, not just a lockout and an air spring (if you're lucky). Which would be fucking cool. Because the sooner entry level riders realize that suspension can be better than the current crop of dogshit from suntour (except the Rux, obvs) and low end Rockshox, the better.

I also wouldn't be surprised if this is a shot aimed pretty much directly at suntour - "hey, look at us guys, we can manufacture your suspension for you. We know what the fuck were doing"

My guess is Giants 10 year plan isn't to have replaced Rockshox or Fox with their own suspension, but instead to be manufacturing Rockshox and Fox suspension for them.

Which I think is probably a pretty cool idea. And on the short term front, the sooner Suntour products stop appearing on bicycles, particularly bicycles that cost over $400, and ESPECIALLY on bicycles that cost over $1000, the better.

If there's one thing we don't need, it's more shitty forks. Just give me rigid.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

What current crop of dogshit suntour forks have you ridden recently?

I'm still using a 2014 Durolux rc2 because I'm poor (third world and all that) and it is more than enough for me but I would like to know what horrible suntour forks you've ridden as they have several models. Vital, loamwolf, nsmb and other sites quite like them but they could be wrong. Perhaps if I knew the models that you tried and didn't pass muster then I could avoid them as well. I was thinking of saving up for an rc2 with the pcs damper. Any experience with those?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
What current crop of dogshit suntour forks have you ridden recently?

I'm still using a 2014 Durolux rc2 because I'm poor (third world and all that) and it is more than enough for me but I would like to know what horrible suntour forks you've ridden as they have several models. Vital, loamwolf, nsmb and other sites quite like them but they could be wrong. Perhaps if I knew the models that you tried and didn't pass muster then I could avoid them as well. I was thinking of saving up for an rc2 with the pcs damper. Any experience with those?
I'm looking at the low end OEM stuff that they have a strong showing on. Your $700-1500 bike range - The Auron, Aion, and Axon are the ones I've had to deal with. they ride pretty horrifically. No experience with the Rux or Durolux though.

Given that the Durolux MSRP is $800 though, and that a cane creek Helm can be had for 800 on ebay, a factory fox float grip 2 2019 for around 900, and a lyrik charger 2.1 for around 850, a Mezzer for 950, its hard to see that as getting a real steal.

Pinkbike seems to have a similar view as me, based on performance factors https://www.pinkbike.com/news/suntour-durolux-29-review.html

I guess maybe buy used if the new high end stuff is out of your price range, or buy something like an OEM yari for super cheap and get an avy cart for it.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
The current Auron rc2 is bad? I thought it was good based on website (loamwolf) and user reviews. I think it also uses the same damper as the durolux and rux. Oh well.

Regarding the price, in my country the durolux is around $400 and not $800. There are no nice and cheap ebay forks nor yari and avalanche options. I'll see if I can find a used fork locally or just get another durolux. The other brands are so much more expensive.