Quantcast

BigHit rear shock??/

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
I am looking for a rear shock for my bighit thats not too expensive, but still a quality shock. 8.75x2.5.....I'm not too sure about what to look for so any help would be good. My manitou 3 way is toast......Thanks ya'll

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
get a fox rc, get it pushed, call it done.

swinger 6ways are nice...

you can also go with the avalanche dhs (about 500 bucks now-a-days).

I thought the bighit was 7.875x2.25?

Phat_Boi

Chimp
Jun 18, 2004
North "206"
I have a friend who has an avy on his big hit dh and will be getting rid of it pretty soon. You might have seen him on a silver big hit at SST. I will call him and see how much he wants for it.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
An avalanche is over 500 without spring, and you have to run one of their Ti springs- 200 bucks more. I don't know how much you have to spend but the new dhx's are like 400, about the same with 5th's and swingers. You can find brand new pro-pedal fox RC's for pretty cheap nowadays, that's always an option. Or you could buy something used and have it rebuilt, that could be cheap and give you a like-new shock.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
zane said:
An avalanche is over 500 without spring, and you have to run one of their Ti springs- 200 bucks more. I don't know how much you have to spend but the new dhx's are like 400, about the same with 5th's and swingers. You can find brand new pro-pedal fox RC's for pretty cheap nowadays, that's always an option. Or you could buy something used and have it rebuilt, that could be cheap and give you a like-new shock.

you dont HAVE TO run an avy with their Ti spring..thats why on their site its an addon :)

5ths really are sub-par until rebuilt; though in this years release, they fixed that issue...

buy yourself a vanilla rc and push the damn thing...you wont regret it...that is, unless you can coin up for an avy.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Really, I guess I misinterpreted their site when it said "Ti spring only" when describing their DHS shock (http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/dhs3.html)....... and 5th's aren't that bad out of the box, I've ridden a few that hadn't been rebuilt and they felt fine- pretty progressive when the air chamber is cranked down. I personally don't like the swinger and 5th because they like to keep the rear wheel on the ground, nice when you're racing but hard to get off the ground otherwise. I'm hoping my new DHX will like to jump like a vanilla RC and still feel progressive.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
zane said:
Really, I guess I misinterpreted their site when it said "Ti spring only" when describing their DHS shock (http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/dhs3.html)....... and 5th's aren't that bad out of the box, I've ridden a few that hadn't been rebuilt and they felt fine- pretty progressive when the air chamber is cranked down. I personally don't like the swinger and 5th because they like to keep the rear wheel on the ground, nice when you're racing but hard to get off the ground otherwise. I'm hoping my new DHX will like to jump like a vanilla RC and still feel progressive.

the ti only was referring to the 600# spring weight. it comes with a steel spring by default, with the Ti as an optional upgrade...i know this, as i just bought a dhs for my banshee and went through the whole bushing sizing, spring ordering with craig@avy...

here is a pic of a steel spring on the dhs...

ps - the dhx jumps just fine...well it did when i was on an 05 kona stinky this last summer in kamloops.

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
I have an Avalanche for your Big Hit provided you have the big link installed. I ride SST now and then on my Big Hit with the paint removed from the frame. Looks silver.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
seand said:
the ti only was referring to the 600# spring weight. it comes with a steel spring by default, with the Ti as an optional upgrade...i know this, as i just bought a dhs for my banshee and went through the whole bushing sizing, spring ordering with craig@avy...

here is a pic of a steel spring on the dhs...

ps - the dhx jumps just fine...well it did when i was on an 05 kona stinky this last summer in kamloops.
Ooooooh, that makes sense too. Thanks for the dhx input.

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
seand said:
get a fox rc, get it pushed, call it done.
I agree. You can find cheap used RC's and get it pushed for around $150. I was looking into doing the same thing and this looked to be the most cost effective way.

Good luck!