Quantcast

Bike Advice

MIK

Chimp
Apr 13, 2011
Ok guys, exactly what it says on the tin. Id like to get a new bike, but seeing as how im still pretty new to this concept, im gonna need some advice from you lot. Im abt 5'10/5'11, i weigh around 210lbs. In terms of budget, i don't intend to spend anything more than US3500, since its my first Freeride bike, buying anything that costs more than that would be getting ahead of myself.

Anways, ive narrowed it down to a couple of bikes(nt too sure abt all their prices though). So you guys can pick from the list, or feel free to recommend others :) Any help would be greatly appreciated, muchos gracias.

Cove STD
Cannondale RZ One Twenty
Iron Horse 7 Point
Transition Bottlerocket
Specialized Big Hit

Last edited:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
If you're new to the sport go used. There are plenty of great freeride bikes in the classifieds. I'd suggest something in a medium or large size. Where are you going to be using this? What kind of riding?

MIK

Chimp
Apr 13, 2011
If you're new to the sport go used. There are plenty of great freeride bikes in the classifieds. I'd suggest something in a medium or large size. Where are you going to be using this? What kind of riding?
A bit of FR and DH. Nothing too hardcore yet. I really don't mind getting a new bike, even if im new too it. Unless of course there's some MAJOR reason why i shouldn't?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
If it is your first bike and you are new to the sport, there are lots of reasons to look for a good used bike. First, it is cheaper. Second, you will invariably beat the snot out of your first bike doing really stupid things. Better to do this with a used bike than a brand new one. Third, as a new rider, the likelihood of your doing the right service as often as you should is minimal (see point #2) and this will have a larger negative effect on the value of a new bike.

OF the list you have posted, I'd say that the Big Hit is a good first bike. Iron Horse is out of business, so getting parts for the 7 point might be a pain, even though it is otherwise a good bike. The Cove is great, but probably - check that, definitely - overkill for a first bike. The Transition is a solid bike, but very purpose specific. What it does, it does very well, but what it does is not for everybody. The C'Dale looks out of place. More of an all-mountain ride than a FR/DH bike.

I live in Vancouver, and I ride the Shore/Whistler, so if it was me, I'd look for a used Giant Faith (new version), or something from the Norco lineup. The Shore is a capable bike. Perhaps a Specialized Big Hit, SX Trail or Demo 7. Even a Kona Stinky - which is a fantastic choice for a first FR/DH bike. Beat on it for a season, so that I know what I like and don't like, then sell it and go for whatever fit my riding style and preferences best (such as a Cove, or Transition, or whatever).

Again, it REALLY depends on where and what you ride. FR/DH in BC and FR/DH in North Dakota are not the same animals. (The stuff that qualifies as XC here could be considered "out of bounds" in other places. The stuff that is tough here could be grounds for institutionalization elsewhere.)

MIK

Chimp
Apr 13, 2011
If it is your first bike and you are new to the sport, there are lots of reasons to look for a good used bike. First, it is cheaper. Second, you will invariably beat the snot out of your first bike doing really stupid things. Better to do this with a used bike than a brand new one. Third, as a new rider, the likelihood of your doing the right service as often as you should is minimal (see point #2) and this will have a larger negative effect on the value of a new bike.

OF the list you have posted, I'd say that the Big Hit is a good first bike. Iron Horse is out of business, so getting parts for the 7 point might be a pain, even though it is otherwise a good bike. The Cove is great, but probably - check that, definitely - overkill for a first bike. The Transition is a solid bike, but very purpose specific. What it does, it does very well, but what it does is not for everybody. The C'Dale looks out of place. More of an all-mountain ride than a FR/DH bike.

I live in Vancouver, and I ride the Shore/Whistler, so if it was me, I'd look for a used Giant Faith (new version), or something from the Norco lineup. The Shore is a capable bike. Perhaps a Specialized Big Hit, SX Trail or Demo 7. Even a Kona Stinky - which is a fantastic choice for a first FR/DH bike. Beat on it for a season, so that I know what I like and don't like, then sell it and go for whatever fit my riding style and preferences best (such as a Cove, or Transition, or whatever).

Again, it REALLY depends on where and what you ride. FR/DH in BC and FR/DH in North Dakota are not the same animals. (The stuff that qualifies as XC here could be considered "out of bounds" in other places. The stuff that is tough here could be grounds for institutionalization elsewhere.)
Awesome. This is really helpful stuff man :thumb: Much appreciated. Im from S.E. Asia. Singapore to be specific. We've only got a few(but decent) DH and FH trails, so for the most part we gotta head over to our neighbours(Malaysia and Indonesia) to get some properly good ones.

I'll try and look up the bikes you mentioned, specifically the Kona. I'll see how it goes and report bk here. Once again, thanks :thumb:

MIK

Chimp
Apr 13, 2011
Yep. Amounts to the same thing. I rode nothing but rigid bikes for ages before getting into the fully suspended scene. I did some really dumb things with my shiny new bike. Now I know better.
Ok, will do. Thanks once again man, much appreciated :thumb: