Quantcast

Bike assembly questions

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I've decided to get back into mountain biking after a pretty long departure and decided I would like to build up a bike instead of buying a whole one, the problem with that is I am not totally sure on the proper installation of all of the components. I never got too into the mechanical aspect before, like I would take off my derailleurs and take them apart and clean them or do tune ups, but I never installed things like bottom brackets or headsets or freewheels or anything of that nature as I never replaced any of those on my old bike. Just wondering if there was a really good place on the web or a book that I should look at to find everything I will need to help me build the bike, especially making sure I lube or seal everything properly as I assemble it. Any input would be great

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Go to your local bike shop, I'm sure they'd show you a thing or two if you're buying the tools to do your work, which you'll need to do anyway. Nothing compares to first hand experience.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
dont buy expesnive tools when u dont need to! crappy tools will work fine. 15 bucks for a chain whip? no way.

Jack_L

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
I would like to learn too :) I've only been biking for a few months, and I've decided to build up a new bike from the frame up. Frame should be here by around January, so I want to start learning how to do this. =)

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Wow.. such bitterness.

I recommend you offer to buy some beer or something for your LBS and have them show you the basics.

There are a few tools, such as headset press, bottom bracket/hs facing tools... and bla bla... that are just stupidly expensive. Doesn't make sense unless you are opening your own shop to spend the money for them.

Also there are a couple things such as headset tightening, and bb's.. that you don't want to f' them up or ur frame will be screwed.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Riding 4 Life said:
until they snap, and sent your hand flying into your sprocket
I partially agree, but............

A chain whip is a chain whip. It is a metal bar with chain attached to it.....save your money and get a less expensive one.

Personally there a few tools that I don't like to skimp on (though I may have at one time or another :rolleyes: )

1- Allen wrenches....life is to c\short to have a soft metaled allen strip out or ruin a bolt. Get a quality set. I just happen to get the Park "Y" allen tool. and their folding allen combo set. THey have paid for themselves many times over. But you could find an equal quality allen set at Sears, etc.

2- Wrenches....for similiar reasons above. Life is to short.

3- Tire Irons....I hate re-fixing flat tires that I pinched putting them back on and a little extra leverage makes the job much easier. I have some Pedro Tire Irons, the ones with the screwdriver handles.

4- a #2 phillips screw driver. Quality makes life easier.

Many tools that will be used infrequently don't really require a top dollar tool. A chain whip is a good example. Crank removers can also be found for less but at also some are so cheapo they are pathetic. Many biking specific tools can be had for much less than Park and most riders don't need that level. I have broken a Shimano BB tool....I replaced it with a Wrench Force tool and have had no issues.

Pedros, Wrench Force and I am sure there are others offer some good alternatives to Park tools. There really isn't anything wrong with Park Tools it is jsut sometimes you can get two tools and expand your tool box for the price of one Park tool.

Avoid the Park Brush/Cog cleaner thing....I recieved it for a X-mas gift and I will use a plain old rag before I use that worthless crap tool. :)

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Thanks for all of the ideas, I think I'm pretty much able to do everything concerning assembly or repair now except for like changing headsets because i'll need to use a headset press. Also thanks for the thoughts on tools, I am a pretty avid woodworker so I know the value of a good tool..no sense in buying a cheap one that you will have to replace and end up getting a better one anyways, and also cheap tools can mess up a build...i've found that out the hard way for sure.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Have the LBS press in your headset. And your Race on your fork for the headset. Also have them make sure everything is faced and reamed right.

As long as you get some good hex keys you'll be ok. The things that start to add up are the BB tools and odd ones. BB tools are like $20 each, but they are key. Everything on bikes after the headset is pressed in is almost bolt together.

Just buy good hex keys, cheap ones will round off and you'll wish you bought the better ones. And take your time :)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
A note about HS press, here's a tool you can have on the cheap.
You can make your own w/ a piece of 3/4" all thread, 4 big thick washers (larger in Dia than the HS cups), 3 big nuts, and a roll of duct tape. 2 nuts about the middle of a 1.5 ft long piece of all thread locking each other in place, then put on 2 washers. Next, wrap enough duct tape to center the HS cup (needs to be snug, but free moving as you slide on the HS cups). Next, measure your headtube length and wrap another section w/ duct tape so the distance between the two outer edges of the duct tape sections equal the length of the head tube. + 1/4" is ok as the cups will take up the difference. Slip the whole thing into your head tube, the other cup, 2 washer and the last nut. Viola, HS press w/ 2 big wrenches.
When you press in your HS cups, it's key you keep everything going in straight. The tape will help, but you'll still need to make sure. A rubber mallot here is very helpful to beat on the all-thread w/ to keep things straight as you tighten the nuts. Some Triflo on the threads also help.
I've used this on many of my builds and works very nicely. Just have your LBS face your head tube first. While they're at it, it's also a good idea to have the shop chase out and face your BB too.
Total cost, approx. $10.00

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Spunger said:
Have the LBS press in your headset. And your Race on your fork for the headset. Also have them make sure everything is faced and reamed right.

As long as you get some good hex keys you'll be ok. The things that start to add up are the BB tools and odd ones. BB tools are like $20 each, but they are key. Everything on bikes after the headset is pressed in is almost bolt together.

Just buy good hex keys, cheap ones will round off and you'll wish you bought the better ones. And take your time :)
I would have to strongly agree with Spunger's assessment. As a home mechanic, I am licensed by the USCF, and I have yet to have the need to buy headset press tools, much less taps and facing tools. It is also a good excuse to meet the LBS and see which one fit your needs.

LBS has one major advantage and one disadvantage over home builds. The one disadvantage is your bike is one of many bikes to be worked on, whereas your build is the only one you are working on. On the other hand, there are a few little trick areas which could mess you up where an experienced mechanic will know right away. As an experienced mechanic, I will mention these areas right now!

1. Front der placement. Particularily a problem where the clamp area is limited (like on small frames or oversized downtubes) or on some FS bikes.
2. Housing length. The piece of housing between the rear der and the frame stop needs to be just right. Also key is that the outer plastic housing is even with the inner metal housing. Otherwise you will get sloppy shifts.
3. B-screw adjustment. There can be an art to adjusting this one.
4. Full suspension tweaks. There is usually something to be done even on new frames.

Finally, find that decent LBS and make friends. They should give you a break on the parts if you buy a whole group (this is a good time to mention Puperpo's pricing to keep the cost down), and you can avoid ordering the wrong front derailleur (very common) or something else stupid. And if you have a problem in the build later, you can bring it in without too much embarassment.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I recommend Barnetts for a manual. Hell he has an institute.. Check for tools like Allen Wrench sets and ratchets at a big hardware store before you blow your dough at an LBS. Sure I love supporting an LBS, but I get the impression that you are young and don't have money falling out of the sky. If you buy at least one big part like your frame or fork LBS are much more friendly when you want to hang out and mooch wrench time. Most wrench's can teach you alot and they are cool down to earth people. Oh and they usually do like beer... It's true.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
Most of the major mail order/internet places have a $40-$45 tool set that comes in a silver briefcase sized plastic box. That will have just about everything you need to get started. Find a buddy who knows what they're doing and pick his/her brain.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
GumbaFish said:
Thanks for all of the ideas, I think I'm pretty much able to do everything concerning assembly or repair now except for like changing headsets because i'll need to use a headset press. Also thanks for the thoughts on tools, I am a pretty avid woodworker so I know the value of a good tool..no sense in buying a cheap one that you will have to replace and end up getting a better one anyways, and also cheap tools can mess up a build...i've found that out the hard way for sure.

If you've got a bench vise you should be able to improvise a headset press pretty easily, just get somebody to help you hold the frame and make sure the heaset is pressed in straight. I'm thinking something like a large dowel stepped down to fit inside the headtube that could rest against one jaw and a softwood jaw on the other jaw pressing against the cup... Or if you're uncomfortable about ovalizing the headtube on your brand new $1500 frame just take it to a shop. If you buy the headset, frame or both at a shop insist they install the headset for free or at least at a considerable discout.