Quantcast

bike bag for travel - what do you use?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
looks like i may be doing more travel with my bike this year than i have done in the past. the cardboard box will not cut it any longer. i just started looking into what types of bike bags are out there. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. so far, the only one i have looked at is the planet-x bag. anybody know where to get on of these (or any other brand)?

thanks

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I can say I know a bit about this-since I always handled all of this, including traveling with the bike so my riders did not have to bother with the hassle. I have used all cases, soft bags, bike pros (singles and doubles), hard plastic cases, singles, doubles, custom french bike cases, on and on. After all these years I finally settled on either a large cardboard box where I could only take front wheel off, OR a cannondale box where you remove both wheels. The trick with the cardboard box is to get about 3 rolls of Duct tape, preferably black or white because for some reason the grey scares the airline personel, wrap the box completely from top to bottom. This method I found is not only cheaper, lighter and long lasting but the monkeys seemed to treat this box better than anything else. DO NOT buy a bike pro, they suck, the case alone for a double weighs about 54lbs and I had more damage in a bike pro than anything else. The single trico plastic case is cool too, but after 15 years, over 200 flights bike box wrapped in duct tape was best.
Theres my 2 cents.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
that look nice Luc!
I remember Cortina Italy world cup once, Colin Bailey shows up with a trico hard case-single. He popped the buckles and out came out a DH bike, Spare wheels, wind trainer, 4 tires, bag of spare drlrs, chain, pedals, etc...Amazing how much you can cram in these things. The beauty of the bike box taped is obviously the price, but you can just toss it after 4 or 5 trips. My trico cases always had buckles break, wheels snap-but granted we did put them through the test.
Luc, how much they want for that Dakine?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
The only thing I'd be worried about with a soft case is it's soft. I couldn't imagine flying with my bike in a baggage compartment with crap stuffed ontop of it and the man-handling the airports do. Atleast with a Trico case it's hard shelled so you can't do too much to harm it.

The Kine bag looks 10 times better than most out there. I'll admit that one.

Have you guys seen that cardboard box that's ment for bikes? You fold the pieces all up and such and mount everything into it? It was like $50 or so I think. Looked good for a cardboard box and atleast it had compartments to store everything in.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Stik - it retails for $300US. It looks nice - on their site there is a pic of the bag with a bike in it - you don't have to remove the fork, which is a requisite for me. I like my Planet-X bag, but the thing is falling apart. The zippers don't even hold anymore :( when those monkey airport guys grab the bag and yank on it, it ends up tearing the zipper open. Last time I went to Whistler; my bag was at the oversize luggage section all open and my bike stuff was all over the place. :dead: man I was pissed.

I also like the fact that the DaKine bag has wheels and a handle! :thumb: I also went ahead and ordered a few other bags, like a riding pack and a Split Roller Wheeled gear bag

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i vote for the trico as well... heck, i ve had an m1 / fork / wheels and a 52 fender tele jammed in mine... great case... reminds me, i need to get it back from the last person who borrowed it :)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
The thing I like about the Trico is that it meets UPS requirements, so it is actually cheaper to MAIL your bike than to take it on a plane.

Cost me $50 to mail my bike to Charlotte NC. from Cali. To take it on the plane is $80.
:rolleyes:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
-BB- said:
The thing I like about the Trico is that it meets UPS requirements, so it is actually cheaper to MAIL your bike than to take it on a plane.

Cost me $50 to mail my bike to Charlotte NC. from Cali. To take it on the plane is $80.
:rolleyes:
On many airlines, line United, as long as the box is less than 61 inches long and less than 50lbs and you check only 1 other bag it will fly for free. The Trico box is less than 61 inches. It is tough to get it below 50 lbs but the extra weight charge is only $25.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I've had the same Bikepro double case since '94. Haven't flown with my bikes as much as Mr. Stik, but I was racing the whole NCS series from 95-99, and flying to a bunch of other races as well. I never had any damage issues with the Bikepro, but I have had the airlines refuse it a few times on smaller aircraft due to size ( I have an XL double to fit my road and 'cross frames).

I have also been hit with some stiff overweight penalties.

These days I have enough bikes fly free United vouchers that I tend to use double cardboard boxes, even when traveling to a race like 'cross nats where I'll be flying with 4 bikes. I don't have space in my small-garageless house for the bikepro, so it lives up at Sinister. I just box the bikes, let the boxxes get killed in transit, and find a new box on the other end.
My bikepro has been to NZL stuffed full of 2 xc bikes, 2 pair of ski boots and 6 months worth of clothes with no damage, so I gues YMMV when it comes to them...

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I personally would stay away from any soft case. If you value your bike, you should stick with something that will actually protect it. If you watch the bag handlers at the airport, you should know that your bag isn't babied.

The Trico is nice, but I didn't want to spend that much when I did my search since I would only rarely use it. I settled for the Performance hard case. It's very rugged, and was only 200 on sale at the time. I'm not sure how big of a bike will work, since Ive only shipped an Enduro in it, but it will fit all XC rigs, most other big rigs if you can take the fork off.

It has wheels as well and can get around the airport pretty well.

Overall I've been pretty happy with it. The most import thing is that I felt it would hold up very well to any abuse..including walking on the case etc. You can't say that for a soft shell case.

Dec 14, 2004
The Dakine looks sick. Anyone found one online? I'm going to need a box or bag when I go to whistler and I'm seriously(sp?) thinking about that Dakine.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Hey Suspect...BikePro worked for a while with all of us, but the thing I didnt like about it besides the weight, was it took me soooo long to pack the bikes vs other methods. By all means if someone has a bikepro its all good, I was just sayin to those lookin you might want to look at something else. BMX guys have it easy, a 20" bike box with a custom made canvas bag encasing it, and only 25 lbs total or something. We used to joke about MTB race travel vs other sports "Must be real hard for Kornikova to check in her racket, or Tony Hawk his skateboard" meanwhile there were times when we would have 8 bike boxes, tool boxes, work stands spare parts bins, luggage, tires, NIGHTMARE-checking in was my LEAST favorite thing about traveling the circuit...but I guess if thats the worst I shouldnt complain! ha

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
partsbara said:
i vote for the trico as well... heck, i ve had an m1 / fork / wheels and a 52 fender tele jammed in mine... great case... reminds me, i need to get it back from the last person who borrowed it :)
I'll bet that old mate in Japan land feels like giving you a :nuts: over that one too!

My vote ---> Trico.

Had a S-Works DH complete in it, along with extra MX-6 (aah memories) and my Sector 9 longboard. True it weighed in at 120lb or so but it all made it home safe and sound.

I've never worked out how to get DH rig into it though without either removing the swingarm or the fork. But on the good side when you do disassemble you bike its the perfect time to check the pivots. :rolleyes:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I have the Bike Pro Double DH bag. It works good but it weights in at 45 pounds for just the case. Up until the airlines started loosing money, the weight wasn't a problem. When a team mate and I went to Big Bear in 2002, I had 2 DH bikes, 4 wheels, spare tires,tool bag, parts bag and some other crap in the case. The case was at 170 pounds (I weighed it before we left). We had a second box with a XC bike and a spare set of wheels. This was no problem for the airline then. Free with United vouchers. I have done the same thing or close at least 10 other times with my DH bike and my wife's freeride bike.

Then, Big Bear 2004 came around. The case had my DH bike and the wife's AC in it. Wheels were in another box since I knew they were going to be a pain about the lugage. Well, they wouldn't take the case unless it was under 100 pounds, period. I offered to pay more. Nope, they wouldn't take it. We had to re-arrange and I had to leave the spare wheels and tires in my truck at the airport. e almost missed the flight re-arranging everything. This was on a different airline than I had ever flown. The also beat the crap out of the bad. The goons smashed a wheel amost off on the bottom of the case.

I am tempted to sell the case and buy 2 single hard cases since they are lighter and protect better. The airlines are getting to be such a pain about the 100pound weight BS. It used to be nice using 1 voucher or paying for 1 bike even though I had 2 in the case.

Stik: I had 2 LTS's with wheels jammed into a Trico case on my honeymoon 8 years ago. It just takes creating packing. We didn't have a lot of cash then, so I packed it into one case that I borrowed so it was $50 each way and it would fit into the rental car (cavalier) better. I still think that it was my best bike trip yet. 1.5 weeks in Jackson Hole and the SLC area riding XC.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I have a preformance knock off of a BikePro case and it works pretty well. The problem I've run into lately is the TSA goons unpacking the thing and not putting it all back in right and stuff getting damage, and the other thing is the airlines charging you for you bike no matter what. Last time i flew with my road bike it was lighter than my checked back and not much bigger size wise but they said they still had to charge cause it was a bike...no matter how big it was or what it weighed.

The Dankine case looks nice....might make it easier to sneak it past saying it's sporting goods....maybe

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
JoeRay said:
I'll bet that old mate in Japan land feels like giving you a :nuts: over that one too!

My vote ---> Trico.
yeah, only that a$$hole could complain after i left him 30 000 yen for it... fricken child molesterer

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
That is not a pad solution just buy a whole roll of duck tape and any Cannondale box will be strong. Then use some of your clothing for the trip as protective support for the bike. If you only travel once or twice per year this a good solution and I have done it several times between US and Europe.

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
ChrisKring said:
I have the Bike Pro Double DH bag. It works good but it weights in at 45 pounds for just the case. Up until the airlines started loosing money, the weight wasn't a problem.....
Huh? When have the airlines ever made any money :stupid: :D

Funny qoute from Warren Buffet when asked at an investment conference: "how can I become a millionaire?" Warren's response: "start with a $billion and buy an airline." For geeks in the finance world (aka me) it was pretty funny.

Not to hijack the post. This is actually very helpful as I'm planning on some cross country travel this year. Leaning towards Stiks idea.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I'm right there with the Cannondale box. I'll usually build a bike for the shop to get the new box and a reminder of where everything goes. Then duct tape the whole freaking thing. When they ask what it is, I always say trade show materials with a smile. It works about 75% of the time.

I got that friend tells the counter folks its religious artifacts and he has never had to pay.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
i guess i need to go score a cannondale box and a big roll of duct tape when i travel this summer. 300us for a bag is over my budget unfortunatly.

anyone have pics of the trico bags? how much do they go for?

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
partsbara said:
yeah, only that a$$hole could complain after i left him 30 000 yen for it... fricken child molesterer
To paraphrase Ferris Bueller,

"He's so tight you could put coal up his a$$ and in a week pull out a diamond"

Prime example of having lived in the land where quivering is a national passtime for too long. :)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
buildyourown said:
Instead of telling the airlines that you indeed have a bike, tell them it's a wheelchair. Your bike will fly for free.
good idea. they don't open it and check until after you are past the ticket window.

last year the guy asked me if my bb7 was a bicycle or a motorcycle :)

thomas

Chimp
May 12, 2002
EMEA Googleplex
definitely go for a cardbox! i travel a lot with my bike and never had any probs. You just have to get a new one after one/two flights! I remember back in Malaga, Spain, they had this awesome machine at the airport, pretty much wrapping the entire box in plastic! Def better than duct tape, was about 10 euros and made the strongest cardbox i ve ever used!

Thomas

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
In 2002 I stuck my DH bike, spare set of tires, all my body armor, helmet and riding gear in a Bike Pro Double. THe shop tied it to the mounts in the floor with old inner tubes so that it was floating in the center of the bag. My armor and the tires made it pretty much impossible to whoop up on. I stuffed my clothes in my carry on and backpack, had one suitcase. I told the ticket counter my flight got switched to them(Delta) from United and I had a free bike voucher for United, but no money ot pay for the bike on their airline.

He looked at me like..."OH CRAP!" and asked "well, what's it in?" all pissy sounding. I pointed at the BikePro. He looked at it, said "wheels, handles...no problem" and let it fly free!!! :thumb:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
anybody try the kona bags?
also, my eyes may be a bit slow (have not had my coffee yet) but did anybody say where to find the trico stuff online?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
S.G.D said:
i guess i need to go score a cannondale box and a big roll of duct tape when i travel this summer. 300us for a bag is over my budget unfortunatly.

anyone have pics of the trico bags? how much do they go for?
You know that massive gray tupperware box in my basement with wheels? Ya, that's a trico iron case.