Quantcast

Bike bags for airline travel.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
What are you using for airline travel to fly to Whistler with? If a bag is say 20lbs and the bike is 40,how much should I expect to pay? Anyone have a bag/box that they want to rent out (I'm on the east coast)?

Edited years later (3-5-2020):

I went with an Evoc bike bag. It's durable and protects the bike very well. No issues with it after 3 trips to Whistler. No tears/cuts. No damage to the bike either.

My buddy uses a bag from CRC. Granted, it's from 2014 I believe, but it tips over all the time and isn't sturdy enough to stand on its own. I'm assuming that the newer ones from CRC would have that fixed. Another buddy bought the Evoc Pro which is lighter but more expensive. It comes with a wheel on the front of the bag that makes it easier to roll around the airport. Is it worth the extra $? You decide.

How much does it cost to fly a bike? Check with the airlines, cause it's constantly changing. Fwiw, an Evoc bag (or most that are similar) measure 98 linear inches (249cm) and with a 32lb bike you'll be under 50lbs. A DH bike you'll most likely be over. But you might as well pack it up to 70 lbs at that point and make your other bags lighter.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Depends on the airline. Cathay Pacific was always the cheapest flying from NYC to Vancouver. I think they used to cost ~$70USD, Other carriers might cost more than double that each way.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Bike specific bags such as EVOC will almost always put you into the overweight category for airlines who most of time will tag a bike fee on top of that, there are exceptions but they are generally very expensive to purchase, and fly with. My preferred method is 2 large duffle style bags with the bike and clothes/gear spread between both. Usually costs me under $50 wherever I want to fly.

I've had buddies on our trips pay $200 each way for an evoc...

Sep 11, 2015
Sci Con makes a really nice MTB-specific bag, but I don't know what it weighs or what it costs. I've just borrowed one a few times and thought it was well-made and easy to use.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
On my most recent trip to Sedona (in November), I found that airlines had reversed course a little wrt bike fees. At least this was the case with Canadian airlines. I paid $30 per direction for my bike. Perhaps the american airlines will follow suit soon?

I invested in an EVOC case a few years ago. it works great.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
On my most recent trip to Sedona (in November), I found that airlines had reversed course a little wrt bike fees. At least this was the case with Canadian airlines. I paid $30 per direction for my bike. Perhaps the american airlines will follow suit soon?

I invested in an EVOC case a few years ago. it works great.
The FAA recently had to make a rule that airlines could not charge for bathroom use, because it was going to happen.

American air carriers will do whatever it takes to keep base tickets cheap, then rape you with a 12" rubber fist with upcharges.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I had a hardcase Thule for a few years, changed to the EVOC, now I'm on the EVOC Pro, by far the best carrier I've used.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What are you using for airline travel to fly to Whistler with? If a bag is say 20lbs and the bike is 40,how much should I expect to pay? Anyone have a bag/box that they want to rent out (I'm on the east coast)?
I have the Evoc, the bag is about 20lbs. My Enduro was about 29.8lbs or so and I would put the pedals in my other checked luggage to give me some more wiggle room. This kept it below the 50lb threshold. Here in AK, on Alaska Airlines they are used to charging $50 or 75 (whatever they feel like?) for anything over 50lb, but they seem to be indifferent to the size. So heading out of here I don't get hit, but I did get hit coming back from Phoenix for $75 two months ago. Again, if I had been over 50lbs, I would have been hit with another charge.

The bag works pretty good, it's well designed and I had just arrived in CO a few months back right after the national Enduro series started, so I got a lot of comments at the airport and rental facility about how "we've seen a whole bunch of these come through recently". The bag will accommodate 29er wheels if the rims aren't too crazy wide and you let the tire pressure way down for 2.3ish tires. In other words that just barely fits, but anything below that is fine, except fat-bike wheels won't work, rims too wide.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Thanks guys. I bought the Evoc bag. The only noticeable difference between the regular and the pro was 1.5lbs lighter, but $150+ more. So I bought the regular one for $320 with free shipping.
I have a question though. Being that I got it that cheap, I wanna make sure it comes with all the accessories- fork mounts, straps, velcro, tool compartments, etc... What should be included? Thanks, EC

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Comes with all the straps for mtb, doesn't come with the road bike fork thingy.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Sorry, I just found a video of the bag. I'm using it with a 20mm TA. There was a video for a different bag that included a bunch of spacers for the axles. I got the 2 confused. I won't need any for this bag. Thanks

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I went to Whistler this last summer. I borrowed a Trico Iron Case. While I'm grateful to be able to borrow a case....it sucked. I hated wheeling it, it was massive and a pain the ass. My buddy that I went with had the EVOC. I will be buying an EVOC when I need one next. Super convenient.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
It was a one-off sale. I purchased it on geartrader.com. Chain reaction Cycles has them for $350+$13 for shipping.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I got mine from CRC and shipping was free. It comes in a deceivingly small box, but you have to "put it together" and after using it a couple times, you realize how well thought out it is.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
They now charge $12.95 for "bulky tracked delivery" on this item. It's still not bad considering others are charging from $430-$475

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So what's the opinion on hard cases like the Performance Cargo Case, totally untravelabru? I got a used one very cheap ($50), I guess it's going to be easier to ship it rather than fly with it.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
just curious, how often do you guys fly with your bikes that you can justify spending the cash on one of these? they are pretty expensive, but I suppose for the peace of mind of not having your bike destroyed its probably worth it even if you just use it once. and what is the life expectancy on one of these things, is it something you keep for life? or will it get roached after ~10 flights or whatever

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Well, the cheap bags are so cheap that they're more-or-less covers. There's no padding in them. It's the same with ski bags. My first ski trip I bought a cheap Reliable Racing travel bag for $35. It lasted 3 trips out west and was destroyed. The issue was that there was no padding, so you had to put clothes in the bag to protect the tips, tails and bindings. The K2 bag I paid $200 for has padding, straps to hold your skis in place, a separate sleeve for poles and wheels to roll it. I've used it 6 times and lent it out to some buddy's a time or two. It's still in nice shape and the skis haven't been damaged. Maybe it's the airline or something, but I'd rather be safe.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
People also say to rent. But @$200 a day for 6 days of riding ($1200),vs $320 for the bag and at most $200 each way ($470-$720) I can ride my bike that I'm comfortable on that's already set up for me. The plus is that you'll have a bag for future use reducing the cost to $150-$400 round trip.
Last time I shipped it to a lbs in Seattle via ups, and a buddy picked me up at the airport. We stopped by, picked up the bike and we're on our way. But this time it has to come with me since we're in a bigger group and arriving together in Vancouver and we're taking a bus to Whistler. You always hear about bike theft up there. I'd hate to have it arrive at the hotel and be "misplaced".

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I got mine from CRC and shipping was free. It comes in a deceivingly small box, but you have to "put it together" and after using it a couple times, you realize how well thought out it is.
So what's the opinion on hard cases like the Performance Cargo Case, totally untravelabru? I got a used one very cheap ($50), I guess it's going to be easier to ship it rather than fly with it.
First hand experience with Whistler over summer EVOC is the one. The hard side ones work but they are unwieldy. It was miserable toting a Trico around and a bag full of gear.

just curious, how often do you guys fly with your bikes that you can justify spending the cash on one of these? they are pretty expensive, but I suppose for the peace of mind of not having your bike destroyed its probably worth it even if you just use it once. and what is the life expectancy on one of these things, is it something you keep for life? or will it get roached after ~10 flights or whatever
I've only flown once so far, but hope to continue to go. I will most likely purchase an EVOC before I go again. Overall, like mentioned, even with fees and the bag, it's still cheaper than renting, plus you can't beat having your own bike that you're comfortable on.

I went to New Zealand for my honeymoon. Rode DH one day. Perfect setting for a rental. Going somewhere for a bike specific trip and riding 5+ days? Worth packing your bike. The EVOC makes it relatively easy.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Zombie thread update!
now that bikes fly for $50, it is worth it for me to go to Mexico with my bike, so I picked up a Dakine roller bag. It seems really nice, anyone have one that might have any user tips?
1: Stuff bike in bag
2: Profit!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog

a bike bag sized like a normal suitcase, no fees at all
uhhh ya they will spot that thing in seconds...and if they don't you are still going to get hit w/ the overweight fee at the minimum which puts it into bike cost levels on most airlines.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Delta, Alaska Airlines, and now another has gone "not batshit crazy" with their bike-fee, counting it as normal like a set of skis or golf clubs. I forget if it was AA or United, but pretty sure it was one of those two.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Since last time posting in this thread, I purchased an EVOC and have done quite a few trips to Whistler and Oregon. The EVOC is the jam. Super easy to pack and travel with. If you fly a 'bike friendly' airline the costs are reasonable and everything goes smoothly. I've had good luck with Air Canada, Westjet and Alaska. Doing two Whistler trips this summer. Both via Westjet. Ticket for the September trip was $150 round trip...

Airline clerk: What's in your luggage?

Me: Clothing and personal effects.

Clerk accepts luggage...

I get paged later by TSA: What's in the luggage?

Me: A bicycle, clothing, and personal effects.

They swab one fork leg...

On return from Hilo, guy at outgoing inspection almost falls on the floor laughing when scanner reveals a bicycle.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Whistler this past summer while using United was $150 each way with a DH bike, gear and clothing stuffed in it. Kept it around 70lbs (75lb limit). Under 50lbs and you'll pay the "normal" price. Just read the fine print. Last year a lot of airlines started advertising "bikes fly free" or as normal luggage. But the catch was it had to be under 62 linear Inches... A unicycle would possibly fit. An Evoc is in the 90-100" range.

Read the fine print.

Last edited: