Quantcast

Bike Box Help Desperately Needed

SLAPSHOT

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
SoCal
Leaving for Whistler in a week, was going to rent a bike box from local guy, but those arrangements have fallen through. Does anyone have a hard case box that they would be willing to rent? Thanks.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
SLAPSHOT said:
Leaving for Whistler in a week, was going to rent a bike box from local guy, but those arrangements have fallen through. Does anyone have a hard case box that they would be willing to rent? Thanks.
Speaking from experience here . . . . . . and only if this is for a DH bike. . . . .
Your best bet is to go to the airport and buy an airline's cardboard bike box, I believe they go for around $20. They are much bigger than the bike box you'll get from your LBS, regardless if it's a hard case or cardboard, and will be much easier to pack. You will most likely want to cut the box down a little bit, but you will have a much easier time doing that than trying to fit a DH bike into a XC bike box. Plus, it will be much easier getting the box thru the airport because it'll be lighter and since the airport nazi's identify an airline's bike box more than some unidentified box. Don't worry about the bike/box getting damamged. The boxes are usually too heavy and awkward for them to toss around, especially if you pack it good enough.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Bike box it. Get from your LBS or ULINE the packaging supplies company sells them for approx. $5. Ask them for a sample and I thinks its free.

Just bubble wrap all the key comps.

This will be my third year using this method and no probs.
Tape the $hit out of it especially the bottom and corners.

PS- put all the small comps. ie. screws, etc in yur bag in case customs does open your box...they're not real good at making sure what they took out, goes back in. You will have to remove your fork, bars, pedals and rear tire.
Deflate your tires.

Myself and W4S will be there 7-13. We'll be on DHRs ..a black 1 and a grey 1. Say Hi if you see us.

WHISTLER.......FOCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SLAPSHOT

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
SoCal
Is the need to remove the fork simply a matter of packing space or something to do with customs? I'll be there alone (aside from GF), so I'd love to try to ride with you guys one day. Thanks for the info.

overtheedge

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
burbank ca.
it sounds like all so cal is heading up there, if you see a sinister, bb7, and an iron horse rollin together hit us up. as for boxes i found a tandem box at a lbs, cut it in half and slid one side into the other to the desired length and taped the crap out of it. now the sides are double thick and all i had to remove from the bike were the wheels and handlebars....hope to see you guys up there, :thumb: jason

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Look 4 Me And My Buddy..giant Dh Team W/ Dorados And An Avalanche Sprung Proto Chromoly Cortina