Quantcast

Bike by Airplane

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on bringing a bike on an airplane. We are going to Whistler from Amarillo, TX and we first leave by an Amarican Eagle jet then on like a 747. Does any one have any recommendations or know any restrictions? Thanks

The cheapest way is to lie to the lame ass airlines and tell them that you are shipping car parts or golf clubs. You can take two bags of lame ass golf clubs but bikes usually cost $50 or more each way. Some international flights/airlines do not charge for bikes, canada probably don't count. I have claimed my big ass bike box was art supplies, art portfolios, fenders for a hot rod and a hood for a 32 ford. Call your airline and ask about their policy, you can sometimes get your operator to give you a freebie on the bike if you tell them you have a large package that weighs under 60 pounds and would like special accomodation. DON'T COUNT ON IT THOUGH!
If you ship call a shop in whistler and arrange for your bike to get shipped there, give them instructions as to what they should do with them. Some people ship to shops to have them built for them and most shops hope you are too. Most shops don't have alot of room so try and help em out! If you can handle your rebuild - TIP OUT! or buy something in the shop when you pick it up.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
American charges you $80 to put a bike on their planes (just had to pay it for our race in Arizona). Also, if you are on a smaller plane, your bike may get put on the next large flight outta there (we were lucky mine was on our plane, but the baggage guys said that was pretty rare...depends on how much luggage and other big items are on). Sometimes you can sneak them through curb-side check-in with a nice tip. I am pretty sure it's cheaper to ship them to a bike shop.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
manziman said:
just ship it via fedex/ups a week or so before before you leave...that's what plenty of us did for sea otter.
Like me.

Or you can be like Curb Hucker and replace the "cannondale" logo on your bike box with "Wheelchair".

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Last time we sent it UPS the forms for customes were not filled out correctly and we lost our bikes but got them back 3 days later so we rented Kona's for more than half the time we were there:( What are recommendations for boxing them and putting them on the plane?

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
price, call the airline. whatever they tell you on the phone, the jackass at the baggage check will probably have a different story. be prepared and get to the airport EARLY.

or ship your bike. im shipping my bike via UPS to NY for the Us Open.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Jimmy_Pop said:
price, call the airline. whatever they tell you on the phone, the jackass at the baggage check will probably have a different story. be prepared and get to the airport EARLY.

or ship your bike. im shipping my bike via UPS to NY for the Us Open.
Most domestic flights (except Southwest) charge something like $80 round trip if you claim it as a bike. Int'l and Southwest are usually around $50 round trip.

Generally, Fedex is cheaper if you have somewhere to ship it to beforehand. I shipped my bike to my hotel at Sea Otter via UPS and everything was good to go the morning after I got there.

If you ship UPS, they want you to have 2 inches of packing around the item or they won't insure it. They really should change this for bikes, as an extra 2 inches on every side of the box bumps the sizing up to an OS3 (which usually increases the cost by about 90$). Bikes won't get hurt if they can't move inside the box...just make sure everything is tight and not jiggling around.

Airlines have a reputation for DESTROYING stuff in cardboard boxes. Be careful. Pack it tight and wrap it in as much tape as possible.

UPS=Faster, more reliable, but a little bit more $$ for big stuff
Fedex=Cheap, but slower and usually are better at demolishing packages
Airline=Expensive, bike comes with you, but you must pack your bike in the rough equivalent of a fallout shelter to be 99% sure of survival.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
As soon as you mention "bike", they charge you like crazy! I think I remember being charged $75cdn to ship a new Trek hardtail, from Winnipeg (central Canada) to Montreal, on the plane with me.

When I moved out west to BC, I boxed up my other bike...really well...and shipped it Purolator (I don't know if the US has that). It took 4 or 5 business days.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
get a big duffle bag for frame and fork and a close hanging bag wheels tires off.

i can get my "part is parts" in there for free!

use pipe insulation and ducktape. DONE.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
bcd said:
get a big duffle bag for frame and fork and a close hanging bag wheels tires off.

i can get my "part is parts" in there for free!

use pipe insulation and ducktape. DONE.
That's a really good idea...never thought of that one!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
ChrisRobin said:
That's a really good idea...never thought of that one!

i forgot!
also a dummy QR rear axle for crush protection or 1'' wood dow
cut to fit.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
If you end up using a cardboard box. Cannondale boxes are pretty good. I normally build a bike for the shop and then put mine in it so I've got all the do dads. Then I wrap the entire thing in a whole roll of duct tape. Just cut the top so they can open it if they must to see what's inside. I can normally get a couple of trips out it.