Quantcast

Bike care question....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
If you have roof rack for taking your bikes on road trips, do you do anything to help keep road grime off of them?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I do not. Road grime is nothing compared to the dirtiness from a good ride.

When I drove home from Baltimore last year with my bike on the car, it POURED a good part of the way. I just made sure I gave the bike a good lube job soon as I got home. The bike did get home nice and clean though. :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
riderx said:
Is this a joke post?

It's a mountain bike!!!
I just hate having crap all over my bike and I have to clean it off at a hotel or something. That and I hate having rocks flung at my bike at 100mph.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
I always wondered about how/if the rain would affect it at highway speeds... get into the seals/bearings/etc.
yep exactly!!!

That spandex thing I got from performance works great but I can't use it on my bike anymore.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
stosh said:
I just hate having crap all over my bike and I have to clean it off at a hotel or something. That and I hate having rocks flung at my bike at 100mph.
This is a sad day for mountain biking...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I don't worry about it. I have driven my bikes literally at least 15,000 miles (including a trip across the country) on top of my car in the last 2 years and they are fine.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
riderx said:
This is a sad day for mountain biking...
Guess ya don't understand......

I see you're point and I'm suppposed to trash my $2000 bike. It's different trashing your bike riding it as opposed to trashing while driving down the road.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
i think anything that would trash your bike on top of your car would probably be simultaneously trashing your car, if you think about it.

I think everyone understands what you're asking, but I dont think its *that* dangerous up there. Buy a tarp and some bailer twine

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Echo said:
I don't worry about it. I have driven my bikes literally at least 15,000 miles (including a trip across the country) on top of my car in the last 2 years and they are fine.
ok fine I'm not gonna sweat it.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
stosh said:
Guess ya don't understand......

I see you're point and I'm suppposed to trash my $2000 bike. It's different trashing your bike riding it as opposed to trashing while driving down the road.
Oh, I understand. I understand that you are treating your mountain bike like a porcelian doll. Are you going to put a little dress on your bike when you take it off-road? :blah:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
And Stosh, I not really trying to bust your balls. I'm just trying to say: have a little perspective. No matter how expensive your mountain bike is, it was made to take abuse.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
riderx said:
And Stosh, I not really trying to bust your balls. I'm just trying to say: have a little perspective. No matter how expensive your mountain bike is, it was made to take abuse.
I agree.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Stosh's bike is just rack candy, it won't get trashed on a trail so of course he does not want to trash it on his car. Wrap it in Saran Wrap. Do a good job and you can still look eXtreme driving down the road without harming the resale value of an unridden bike.

J/K couldn't resist.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
If you don't fall enough to hurt your bike. Which makes you have to worry about hurting it on the rack.

Ride faster.
It's the solution to all e-problems.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
jacksonpt said:
I always wondered about how/if the rain would affect it at highway speeds... get into the seals/bearings/etc.
Rain does get forced into some things...(my experience) about 5 years ago...after a 2 hour + drive with both my wife's bike and mine on the roof, driving at highway speeds through heavy rain, I decided to overhaul the bikes after our trip. I decided to remove the BB's, & both bikes had a little less than 1/4 cup of water come out of the frame. It didn't seem to bother the BB bearings though (I think Shimano UN72's)...Now, I just use a plastic grocery bag wrapped around headset area, SP, BB & top of fork stantions when I have to drive thru heavy rain (rarely)...seems to work fine.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
riderx said:
Oh, I understand. I understand that you are treating your mountain bike like a porcelian doll. Are you going to put a little dress on your bike when you take it off-road? :blah:
i was lookin for some jeans and t-shirt for my bike, y'know to give it that "Boss" look. maybe you could help me with a link on where i can get my bikey some workmanlike duds?

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Skookum said:
i was lookin for some jeans and t-shirt for my bike, y'know to give it that "Boss" look. maybe you could help me with a link on where i can get my bikey some workmanlike duds?
For the BOSS look I suggest these. NASCAR approved.