Quantcast

Bike checker. . .

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008

A frame I built for a friend, he is a little tall, 6'1" or something like that. 22.5 top tube, taller head tube (I forget the exact # right now), bb + .25 with 19.25 axle to crown fork, 15.25 chainstay with 30/12 gearing, 72 degree head angle.

I am about 5'11" and I have to say I like the open cockpit, the head tube is a little tall for me but I would just use a lower rise bar.

I have to thank my bud Jim D. for the Gusset cranks, they are very nice. I don't know how the price compares to others but given the quality my guess is they are spendy, but by far the nicest cranks I have ever owned, well maybe besides the Dura-Ace cranks on my road bike ;)

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
damn it was cool you fabbed a frame for yourself but hooking up your bud is total bad ass status. front end looks mean as hell but the back is sleek as can be haha. nice job.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Nice Ted - I like the pierced downtube/headtube setup. And with that tall headtube - that thing might be turndown friendly.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks for the good words.

I was revved up about this frame so I hung my parts on it to ride sunday, it was really fun and now I want a little longer tt for myself. I have to break it down this week so I can get it painted. I think I will do the pierced down tube on my bike for next season, it is cool in a old school way.

Looks like building will help keep my sanity through the crappy pennsylvania winter, I have a few projects to get done. I have on project I hope to do if I get slow with my day job, but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag until I am sure I can make it a reality.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Nice! DIY projects rule. Just out of curiosity, is that a dimple or bend on the chain stay? Or is that just a reflection?

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008

I shape the chainstays and there are 2 ways to do it. One is to let the tube dimple a little on the inside of the bend or option two is to fill the tube with woods metal that supports the wall so it doesn't dimple. The problem with the latter is that it stretches the outside of the bend, and I am afraid it would make the wall to thin and possibly crack. I should probably bend one with the woods metal and then cut it in half to measure the wall thickness and see what I end up with because I really don't like the look of the dimple