Quantcast

bike comparison - Trek 6500 vs GF Tass

Y

yadadada

mplpl

Chimp
Dec 8, 2004
Rawlee, NC
the GF has a touch longer top tube and shorter chainstays for a more 'stretched out' feel to it which makes it a comfortable climber,
The 6500 is more conventional - I think if you like to do a little more technical type stuff the Trek would be preferable, if you're more into long stretches of sing track the GF may be the ticket - if possible ride them side by side.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
yadadada said:
So I'm looking for a beginner/intermediate trail and XC bike. So far my favorites are the Gary Fisher Tassajara and the Trek 6500 (both no disc)

Specs for Tass
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/full_specs.asp?series=trail-genesis&bike=Tassajara

Specs for Trek
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1037600&f=19

What do you think? I test rode a 6500 w/ disc (no-disc wasn't in stock) and a Tass that was a 15.5, though I'm def thinking i need to go with a 17-17.5".
both bikes are excellent choices!!! you can not go wrong with either. Is price the reason you are not going with the disc model? if so you need to save a few more $ because IMO, (and I work in a shop) you are far better off getting the disk brakes... ease of maint. and longevity is the key! I held off for a long time and finally switched late last year... I don't know how I lived without them... I have become faster by being able to control my braking better!!!

the bikes you asked about are both quality... and spec'ed to match up, so really it is a matter of your feeling the ride of each bike and then making the choice...

Y

yadadada

Well I went to test ride the trek again and also rode a specialize hardrock pro disc. I really didn't like the Specialized Hardrock. I rode it around for a little while, but it's heavier, i feel "cramped" on the bike, which is probably a result of the shorter, heavier stem. But the bike itself didn't feel as nice.

I also rode a 6500 '05 w/ disc. The '06's have a shimano crankset instead of bontrager, and XT for a RD instead of Deore. (that's a fairly inexpensive upgrade though) Over all I really liked the Trek. It felt responsive and just fit well.

As far as forks go, which is better? (GF '06 has a Manitou Axel Platinum Air fork w/TPC Lock-Out w/ 100mm travel and Trek '05 and '06 have a Manitou Axel Elite w/preload, TPC lockout, 80mm) Is there a huge difference in the quality of them?

I am really leaning toward the GF Tass w/ disc or the Trek 6500. As far as the GF goes, I'd prefer to find an 05, since th colors are better than the 06. I don't really like the gray at all. As far as Trek goes, I really like the non disc becuase of the color. If had I had to pick a color for a bike, that would be it. The orange duotone is awesome. But color isn't everything. Afterall, it'd be covered in dirt soon enough. ;-)

The trek had hayes sole discs on it, which I didn't like very much. They worked well, and seemed much tighter and more responsive than the Avid mechanicals on the Specialized though. The GF Tass Disc '06 has the same Hayes Sole disc. Does anyone know much about these? Are they crap or are they decent?

Then there is the option that I might be able to talk the shop owner at swain into giving me the disc brakes I want at cost if i buy through him. It's worth a shot.

The '05 Trek 6500 disc is $599.

The '06 Trek 6500 w/out disc is $699.

Not sure the cost of the GF Tass, cause the shop has the prices lower than msrp, but the non disc is $659, and the disc is $819.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
As for the Soles, they're single piston hydraulic discs. Frankly, I'd rather have hydraulics any day as opposed to cable operated brakes. They're pretty much entry level hydraulic discs, but they'll be fine for general XC riding.

IMHO, at LEAST go for some kind of disc bakes (cable or hydro). If you decided to switch to discs from V-brakes in the future, you'd need a wheelset in addition to the brakes themselves. At least if you go with the disc option, you'll have a disc wheelset off the bat, and you can swap out levers and calipers easily.

Y

yadadada

Well, both the GF and the Trek that have v-brakes on them are disc ready, so I shouldn't need to buy a wheelset as well in the future.

I am thinking that I am going to go for the '06 Trek 6500 model w/out disc. It's the color I want, and then I want to upgrade the FD (i'd need to do both FD and RD on the disc models).

As far as brakes go, I am going to see if I can either get them upgraded at the shop for little or no cost (we've bought bikes there before and I'm hoping they'll neg w/ me) or I am going to do so later on. I think I want to go with Avid BB7s. I like that I can do all the work myself, and don't have to worry about bleeding lines or anything. I think with my focus being XC that I don't have much to worry about with them.

I like the feel of the 6500 and I like the look of it. I am still going to test out the GF Tass again though.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
robdamanii said:
Cool, I didn't realize you had disc specific wheels on the Trek.

If you do want hydraulic discs, you can get many of them pre-bled and ready to install if you indeed want the Hydraulics.
I am with rob on this, I would rather see you pick up hydro's than cable... I haven't had to bleed a set of my own brakes yet...(granted it is only 6 months) but even when working in the shop, it isn't that often that someone needs brakes bled unless they damaged the lines etc... and at that point new cables and housing would be in order the other route!!! it isn't that hard to bleed brakes anyway!!! don't let that deter you from them...