Quantcast

bike content....deal with it

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
So, I made it. My first touring attempt was a success. I cut it a bit short because some friends offered me a ride(so I cut out about 90 miles), but the weather sucked and I felt more like hanging out with people I knew than tearing my legs up some more.

As it is, I did 280 miles in 3 days on a fixed gear bike along highway one. 138 miles in one day(yikes, I am not sure what I was thinking). Had an amazing time, have the tan lines to prove it and managed to not get hit along the way. Actually, people on the 1 were amazingly friendly and courteous drivers. They all slowed down and passed me widely and safely, were happy to talk with me at rest stops and it made the whole experience much better.

As you can see in the photos the weather was amazing. I did spend one night of three in a hostel, but only because I wanted a shower and some hot food that I cooked. Other than that I slept on the side of the road and in a state park camp site, under an amazingly starry night.

If you live in Cali I highly suggest riding or driving this section of the coast. I hadn't done it since I was 10(motorhome trip) and it was amazing to see it under my own power. Tiring, but amazing.

Oh and if you ever plan on doing long rides, buy some chamois butter, I didn't and I am currently...ya, it hurts a fair bit.

Oh and any SB guys going over to dig at Elings or Firestone this weekend, hit me up, I'll be out there.

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=list&function=myphotos&photouserid=12374

The Ito

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
dh girlie said:
Way cool...nice pictures...the california coast is so beautiful. Was this the California Aids Ride that starts in SF?
The Aids ride starts in either late May or early June. I'd love to do it one of these years, but the minimum fundraising amount is f'n huge, maybe something like 5g's if my memory is functional. Have you or anybody else you know done it?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
reflux said:
The Aids ride starts in either late May or early June. I'd love to do it one of these years, but the minimum fundraising amount is f'n huge, maybe something like 5g's if my memory is functional. Have you or anybody else you know done it?

No, I'm not a road friendly rider, but I have seen it first hand while driving down the coast. A friend of mine that used to work at Bell had a brother who died from complications from AIDS and he did it...it's pretty remarkable to see all those people riding and all the people that hang out and cheer em on.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
dh girlie said:
Way cool...nice pictures...the california coast is so beautiful. Was this the California Aids Ride that starts in SF?
No, it was a solo ride just for me.

I'm a bit addicted though and I've been trying to think how I can do up a cross country ride and maybe raise some money for something.

I figure after riding that far I can eat just about anything I want....it's a great feeling!

The Ito