Quantcast

Bike content: Rock Shox Revelation

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
rockshoxexperience @ mtbr said:
The RCT3 is a current model year (2012) damper, while the RLT Ti (sometimes called BlackBox Motion Control) is a damper from the previous model year (2011). Both are excellent dampers, the difference really comes in the intended use.

The RCT3 is a "descender's damper", it features a low-speed compression adjustment that works while in the open setting.

The RLT Ti damper is pretty much either locked out (with adjustable blow-off force) or open, and in the open setting, there isn't any provision to adjust the low-speed compression.

If that doesn't make sense, choose this way: If you climb to have a blast on the descent, get the RCT3. If you climb and descend for the experience of each, get the RLT.
this.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Another question about this fork:
I have a RLT ti air revelation. I see that the Sektor appears to have the same chassis, and can be had with a U-turn spring.

Does anyone know if I can remove my air spring and install sector coil u-turn spring? I've always been a fan of the coil u-turns, and while I'd like to have travel adjust, steered clear of the dual position air spring because of potential reliability issues.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have a RLT ti air revelation. I see that the Sektor appears to have the same chassis, and can be had with a U-turn spring.

Does anyone know if I can remove my air spring and install sector coil u-turn spring? I've always been a fan of the coil u-turns, and while I'd like to have travel adjust, steered clear of the dual position air spring because of potential reliability issues.

this is a complete guess:

probably will work.

I'm basing this on the fact that i frankenforked a pike with a revelation.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
this is a complete guess:

probably will work.

I'm basing this on the fact that i frankenforked a pike with a revelation.
That was my thought as well. I like how a lot of the RS forks have the same basic layout. Makes them fun/easy to tinker with.

Anyone tried this swap?

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA

Do a search on MTBR. I remember reading someone doing this and having some issues. Think it was something to do with the top out spring being built into damper on the Sektor and into the air spring on the revelation

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
RS's nomenclature got weird when they got rid of the 2-step name for the travel adjust. I think everybody associated it with the first generation on the Totem. They now call it dual position which is confused with dual air, which is what they now call the fixed position which used to be called solo air. Confused yet?

I just bought a WC and a RCT3. They are identical except for the crowns. The carbon saves a lot of weight.
If you are coming from a Lyrik, it doesn't feel as rad on the DH. Supposedly, Push can fix this for $200. Curious what that feels like.

If you are trying to save a few bucks, the Sektor is really nice for for the money. Not quit as fancy damping but the quality is the same and they are really cheap. Maybe the Rev just got expensive.

FWIW, I really like the travel adjust. Everybody thinks it's for climbing, but I use it all the time to steepen the head angle and make the bike turn better. If I'm riding tight smooth trails, I'd rather have a low quick front end vs 150mm of wallowing travel.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
RS's nomenclature got weird when they got rid of the 2-step name for the travel adjust. I think everybody associated it with the first generation on the Totem. They now call it dual position which is confused with dual air, which is what they now call the fixed position which used to be called solo air. Confused yet?

I just bought a WC and a RCT3. They are identical except for the crowns. The carbon saves a lot of weight.
If you are coming from a Lyrik, it doesn't feel as rad on the DH. Supposedly, Push can fix this for $200. Curious what that feels like.

If you are trying to save a few bucks, the Sektor is really nice for for the money. Not quit as fancy damping but the quality is the same and they are really cheap. Maybe the Rev just got expensive.

FWIW, I really like the travel adjust. Everybody thinks it's for climbing, but I use it all the time to steepen the head angle and make the bike turn better. If I'm riding tight smooth trails, I'd rather have a low quick front end vs 150mm of wallowing travel.
Totally agree- travel adjust is awesome!
I thought I'd have the best of both worlds with my favorite travel adjust spring, and a damper I'm happy with (mission rlt?), but it sounds like it may not be such an easy swap- thanks denjen, I'll check MTBR.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Buildyourown- how long have you been on a dual position air? My research when I bought my dual air revealed a few people having issues with them, and buying used, I didn't want to take the risk.
Now I want travel adjust again!