Quantcast

Bike Courier-ing

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
hey - I'm headed to college soon (Santa Barbara, CA), and I was thinking being a bike courier would be a good job. Can anyone answer these questions for me?

1. What companies are a good bet to look into
2. What sort of bike do I need (most of the pictures I see have guys riding SS cyclocross bikes with package racks
3. Are there any specific bike skills that are particularly emphasized?

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Never done it. But I would think the best skill to have would be survival instinct. Oh yeah, I did see a bike messenger in D.C. do a front manual turning left across a couple lanes, so that might be something to work on. :D

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
Don't know anything about that area, but I know in Boston it is typically a full time gig, so good luck finding part time work. Also most messengers use fixed gear bikes or single speeds, mostly fixed though because of the minimal maintnence. They can't afford to have a broken bike. Lastly your awareness has to be amazing, I'm not a messenger but I ride around in the city and people drive like asswholes in the city and do not care about someone on a bike. So you gotta be 100% focused the whole time. Good luck man and stay off those car hoods!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
1. Can you drink a 40 and ride?
2. Do you have any personality issues?
3. Can you ride in bad weather, when you don't feel like it, when people treat you like dirt, and not complain?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
To be a messenger, you need to be able to ride at steady pace for long hours. High speeds are not required, although you might have to outsprint a bus once in a while. I would hope you feel comfortable in high traffic as well.

I used an old road bike, but it was a little overkill. I am not one for track bikes, but a single-speed would be a good bike.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Having the reflexes of a nervous cat is a bonus. Also being able to anticipate what's going on around you...being able to read the "english" of both vehicles and pedestrians. Those skills will at least preserve your life expectancy.
Dunno how it is down there, but I know there's companies in Seattle that take on students for P/T work. It may or may not be easy to get your foot in the door...depending on if you're applying with a larger company (most likely to hire a "newb") or a smaller/tight-knit one (most likely to laugh at you and tell you to come back when you have more experience).

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
DBR X6 RIDER said:
...being able to read the "english" of both vehicles and pedestrians...
This is the key to fast-pace urban cycling, both motorized and pedal-powered.

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
cool - are there any specific attributes or brands/models of bikes that you recommend for courier duty, or will any old beat-up SS road bike fit the bill?

splat

Nam I am
also when you start you will be low man on the totem Pole , so you get the crap routes/Runs

things you Must know how to do -- True your own wheels , they will probably need it daily!

Traffic riding skills - awarness much different than DH. You actually use cars Sidevies and rear view mirrors to read what they are doing.

parked car doors are your worst Enemy!!

women with stollers and a cell phone -- Bad!!!

weather ! It sucks ! to hot to cold , snow rain , etc

and you will be treated lower than Dirt ,by Drivers ,pedestrians , recptionists, and the police.

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
splat said:
also when you start you will be low man on the totem Pole , so you get the crap routes/Runs

things you Must know how to do -- True your own wheels , they will probably need it daily!

Traffic riding skills - awarness much different than DH. You actually use cars Sidevies and rear view mirrors to read what they are doing.

parked car doors are your worst Enemy!!

women with stollers and a cell phone -- Bad!!!

weather ! It sucks ! to hot to cold , snow rain , etc

and you will be treated lower than Dirt ,by Drivers ,pedestrians , recptionists, and the police.

But....there is instant sex appeal :blah:

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
awesome. I have a XC hardtail mountain bike that weighs about 20 pounds, and has 40mm of front travel. would that thing fit the bill if I got slicks for it?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Thrillkil said:
awesome. I have a XC hardtail mountain bike that weighs about 20 pounds, and has 40mm of front travel. would that thing fit the bill if I got slicks for it?
With a monstrous lock. How's bike thieving in SB? Half the reason couriers ride fixies, is because it's tough to steal stuff off of them, and a thief that does get one is bound to hurt themselves in the first block or two. Fewer quick releases the better.

But yeah, any bike will do. It's more about learning to work with traffic. I never couriered... just bike commuted in Boston. Had some friends that couriered though. They got hit by a lot of cars. I never did. Couldn't figure it out until I did a city ride for fun with them. They rode like ****ing maniacs and broke every traffic rule. Cars had no idea where they were going.

Oh yeah, and watch out for parked cars. It's better to be IN traffic than next to it.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Any bike will do if properly equipped. It's best to have something that you are comfortable with. Hell, I'd ride my 35+ lb. dually on holidays that we were open on (all except Xmas & New Years) because it would be real slow at work those days. That way, I could tool around while I waited for nothing to happen on those days.:cool: