Quantcast

Bike couriers in big cities?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Has or is anyone a bike courier in a big city such as NY? If so how much do those guys get piad and how are they paid? Just curious as to how the whole business works.
Thanks

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
"Couriers are paid a certain percentage of each delivery fee, usually between 40 and 60 percent. A reliable bike courier can make $350 to $500 per week, and experienced messengers claim they can haul in $700 a week or more. Full-time messengers work five-day weeks, with the busiest periods arriving in the late afternoon, when end-of-the-day panic sets in. " from the Boston Phoenix, so it prolly varies a little city to city

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
there was an article in the school paper about couriers yesterday. that was pretty cool. we have 4 companies in Austin. that was surprising.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i think -BB- worked as one in boston in years past... :think:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Thanks for the info I was curiuos after watching "surreal gourmet", some cooking show the guy always has bikers on it. This time he had a group of bike messengers.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
That's 'cause SLC is a friggin' cow town, Tex.

-S.S.-

Tex??? WTF??? Do not use Texas slander for the peeps in Utah yo. :mumble:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
That's 'cause SLC is a friggin' cow town, Tex.

-S.S.-
I lied...there are some apparently...too bad I moveded :(

Salt Lake is too spread out for the most part for bike messengers...suburban sprawl at its best.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Based on what I know of the business, being a messenger is....ummm....well mostly a bad idea. Not that much pay, hard work, few benefits, very dangerous.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Heidi said:
I think Spincrazy used to work as one.

Spinny, where you at dude?

Hey, I'm only a month late.

I was a bike messenger in Seattle many moons ago. Best days were making around $80-90 a day. I'd imagine you'd make more in a larger city, now, and once you've done it for awhile. You kind of pay your dues at first and work for the lower companies and if you can still hack it/stand it you can make pretty good money doing legal stuff. It is hard work and you do get burnt out on riding if you 'hit it' all the time, but it's a fun experience and depending on where you do it, you'll get into fantastic shape. With all the hills in Seattle and my adrenalin filled, money hungry attitude I became a stringy beast like, Tri athelete looking freak. Best shape of my life. Ah, the good times....

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Bumping the oldass thread again...

I've decided I'm going to give small-time messengering a shot in my town. I have a bag, a cell phone, and a cross bike. There's a university and tons of law firms/professional businesses in town, and I know there is demand for it, I just don't know how to run it. I was thinking of giving businesses/law offices fliers, but how would it run? Just have them call my phone, do the delivery? What if there's more?!?! AHHH! I've looked at the IFBMA page on going indy, but it's for people who've got experience already and know how things are done. This is probably the reeeally wrong board to post this on but meh...

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
spincrazy said:
Hey, I'm only a month late.

I was a bike messenger in Seattle many moons ago. Best days were making around $80-90 a day. I'd imagine you'd make more in a larger city, now, and once you've done it for awhile. You kind of pay your dues at first and work for the lower companies and if you can still hack it/stand it you can make pretty good money doing legal stuff. It is hard work and you do get burnt out on riding if you 'hit it' all the time, but it's a fun experience and depending on where you do it, you'll get into fantastic shape. With all the hills in Seattle and my adrenalin filled, money hungry attitude I became a stringy beast like, Tri athelete looking freak. Best shape of my life. Ah, the good times....

I second that. Money thing for sateside would be different from what I was doing down here in NZ, but looks about the same, tho it used to be far far better. Best sorta on the job training for downhilling. All your doing all day long is interval sprints. Your sprint after a while will start to make track riders a lil bit worried.
Graphics companys are also a good bet for clients.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
I was a messenger in Seattle for a couple years. Many of my friends still are. One close one runs his own show. He got it started when the company he was working for went under and he already knew many of the clients. He employs one car driver for the long board and runs all the short and dispatch from his bike. The others i know that are solo are from the similar background. They worked in the biz beforehand.

If you want to do this, you need clients that will want to choose because you are cheaper and faster (or at least they think you are) then a car. You also need to like pain and topramin.

Also, if you do this, biking is you job. It's not so fun to ride for fun when you have been riding for work 8-10 hours a day/ 5days.....

After i got a new job I had energy and $ to by bikes.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
What's the going rate for deliveries? I can run it faster than a car...everyone here is lazy and will be more than willing to shell out money for me to deliver a document or pick up theatre tickets rather than get in their quad cab diesel truck and spend half an hour driving 4 blocks...

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
xbluethunderx said:
What's the going rate for deliveries? I can run it faster than a car...everyone here is lazy and will be more than willing to shell out money for me to deliver a document or pick up theatre tickets rather than get in their quad cab diesel truck and spend half an hour driving 4 blocks...
Have you already checked what courier companies exist there? not bike based, but car based. Don’t' forget about cabs. They are fast and deliver more then just people. also, what will it cost then to ship a 5 pound package by ups ground? that will be very cheap and only take one day.

if a customer calls you and need a banker box delivered, will you have to say no? they don't like that.

Rates? Normally set up by zones and speed. if someone calls you in a panic and needs a pint of ice cream delivered to here in 15 min from across town then it's $35 or $45 or $85. In Seattle there are enough people that will do silly stuff like that. what about Logan?

That brings up another point. When Seattle was in the .com boom, money was easy for a courier. I was doing 100-140 (that's doing between 30-50 deliveries) a day. Now that people have smaller budgets for shuttling ice cream around town, nobody in Seattle ever makes $100 a day now.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
30-50 dels a day. Mans things are different here. My CBD is only 10-15 mins across (depends on the way the winds blowing). Back in the day we would be doing 100 dels a day, with a mix of 60's 30's and 15's. mind you Government departments makes things easier, gotta love multiple pickups in buildings, or floors. Thses days 50-60 dels is an average day

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
lanman said:
"A reliable bike courier can make $350 to $500 per week,

This may sound like quite a bit of money, but once you factor in the speed, 40's, and blunts many of the messengers here in NYC seem to live on, the take-home is really not all that great. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :dead:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
There isn't a single courier service in town. A couple that frequents the bike shop was thinking about starting one with their car early in the summer, but it fell through. What's great about this is that I really don't have much to lose if I do it, I'm not going to be quitting any jobs, almost no startup capital...