Quantcast

Bike Dads ASSemble! (picking a 20" ride for my 4.5 year old)

Jun 5, 2022
I'd consider getting an older secondhand frame/bike and then upgrading everything on it, could be a good project for the both of you.

You could go for a Shimano Saint drivetrain, Hope Tech 4 V4 brakes, Hope Headset and Fox Shocks.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Massive lever 4 pot brakes, DH components and overpriced colourful bearing holders on a 4yr olds bike sure does make no sensei Gomi

Here ya go

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
anyone have a full face for their kid?
Yes, I got him an adult XS Fox Proframe. He's got my ginormous head (I'm 5'8" but wear XL helmets). The thickest pads worked for him starting at age 4, still good but snugger at 5. I think with the thinner pads, it should last until about 7-8.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea, i poked around some. Leatt has a youth sized full face, as does 661. thinking about taking my son to the bike park at some point this summer, they have 1 (working on a second) super easy green flow trails that he would be able to ride no problem. would definitely be more comfortable having him in a full face rather than a half shell.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, the reason I didn't go with one of the child sized ones was that they were fixed sizes and frankly the build quality of the one I actually ordered and returned (661 or Kali) wasn't very impressive, nor was it lighter than an adult XS. The fixed sized one was like $120 or something but an adult one with pads that would grow with him was like $220, so the adult one makes more sense from cost too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, the reason I didn't go with one of the child sized ones was that they were fixed sizes and frankly the build quality of the one I actually ordered and returned (661 or Kali) wasn't very impressive, nor was it lighter than an adult XS. The fixed sized one was like $120 or something but an adult one with pads that would grow with him was like $220, so the adult one makes more sense from cost too.
from what i can tell the 661 ones were just XXS / XS versions of their regular helmets.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!