Quantcast

Bike Damage

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I don't have a picture, but years ago I had a wheelset with Sun Ringle MTX 29 rims, which I thought were pretty good for the cost. Washed the bike one evening and then pulled it out of the shed to go riding the next day, but found both rims had cracked and split apart all the way around the rim - from eyelet to eyelet. Never really understood what happened there, perhaps water froze in them?

Not sure how this cassette broke. Didn't actually notice until I was cleaning the bike.

@Jm_ my Maxxis fat bike tires are cracked at the base of the knobs as well, though not as deep as yours. I shall ride them until they fail, because screw paying +$200 for bike tires.
Check the casette shredding herspwers on this guy

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Although failures like this are rare just think about what could have happened if that was Kerr's Pivot at Hardline not some random Joe on a Trail ride?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I bought my DVO Jade X in 2020 (from Jenson too) and it's been ridden up until 100hrs without any trouble or leaking, I guess they were not lucky. As much as I like my DVO shocks/forks, it seems like they had a few QC issues with the Onyx so it's possible that they had a bad batch of Jade X too. I just installed a new (regular) Jade on my bike and had the black HD shaft and stronger eyelet installed by DVO usa. Fingers crossed that it will be as reliable as my Jade X.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hint: It's the 2 out of 3 freehub bearings that failed. Individual balls were falling out when I took it apart.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Is that a Pro4 freehub? If its that 17287 bearing that ate a bag of dicks, welcome to the frustrating realisation that the only manufacturer seems to be Enduro Bearings who can't make a bearing worth shit.

I've had much extended bearing lifetimes using any of the proper bearing manufacturers (NSK, SKF, NTN, etc) in nearly every application. It sucks not being able to get a worthy replacement for the 17287

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is that a Pro4 freehub? If its that 17287 bearing that ate a bag of dicks, welcome to the frustrating realisation that the only manufacturer seems to be Enduro Bearings who can't make a bearing worth shit.

I've had much extended bearing lifetimes using any of the proper bearing manufacturers (NSK, SKF, NTN, etc) in nearly every application. It sucks not being able to get a worthy replacement for the 17287
Yep, I do believe it's the 17287. This is a Pro II Evo, but with XD driver. 3 of these things. I was getting some "creaking" that appeared to be coming from the hub on the last ride, when under hard power. Yeah, frustrating that you can't get a good bearing. I'd order them direct like I do all the other bearings I get.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But the best part was how the bearings pulled apart, leaving the inner race stuck inside the hub.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
But the best part was how the bearings pulled apart, leaving the inner race stuck inside the hub.
My Hope Pro 4 on teh phat bike had an exploded bearing, the one behind the freehub. When I pulled it apart, the inner race and all the balls just kind of spilled out in a pathetic mess.

Luckily the stuck outer race was poking out just a hair, so just had to find the perfect sized socket and give it a few good whacks with the hammer.

I lost one of the springs in the ordeal, but it survived the winter with a zip tie in its place.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
On the axle? How did you get it out, hammer all the things?
On the freehub mech. There was no "lip" left to punch the bearings out, due to just the inner race being stuck in both sides. Luckily there was still purchase for a blind-bearing puller to basically wedge against the ball groove on the race.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I remember contemplating machining the bearing seat so I could fit a proper bearing in that application. If I had a spare driver it would possibly be worth trying but for now I'll settle for just replacing the stupid thing more often.

Lol CeramicSpeed does one but its $112 AUD per bearing. Ouch

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
The most minor of tip overs.
Didn't even come close to bending the hanger, but can't hold a gear in the top three cogs to save it's life.

The XT that went on to replace it "looks" more robust at this pivot, but is still made of zee plastikz.

0529221137_HDR.jpg

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
New shimano 12 speed is made of cheese. I've seen so many shifters,derailleurs and brake levers broken from minor bumps. And leaky calipers from pistons or clamshell.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
In all fairness, an alloy frame probably wouldn't fare much better casing a jump like that
Shit, I see kids on 20" 360 dropping 3' drops all the time. Probably damn near a similar load on the headtube. The problem is those are $500 frames and not $2750 frames.......

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just randomly found this in my inbox looking for something else.

e-cookie if you can guess the frame brand.
2.jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The red letters should give it away...I feel like I know but can't say the name. :(
Ellsworth(less)?
I was a Jamis Dakar Bam in the 2010 DH season.

A friend and I riding at Diablo came upon the rider effed up on the ground and his bike in two halves where it had failed landing a jump. IIRC The mountain crew got him off the mountain and he went to hospital. Assholes stole his broken bike before it could be retrieved.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I was a Jamis Dakar Bam in the 2010 DH season.

A friend and I riding at Diablo came upon the rider effed up on the ground and his bike in two halves where it had failed landing a jump. IIRC The mountain crew got him off the mountain and he went to hospital. Assholes stole his broken bike before it could be retrieved.
Looks like tape residue around the break. Wonder what’s ip with that.