Quantcast

Bike damaged in car accident- need input

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
My bike was damaged recently when a guy backed up into me- (****er didnt check his rearview mirror)

My paint job is damaged, and I would need to have it repainted

What are some good places for gel coat, or any other types of painting...

i tried a google search but couldnt come up with anything

peace

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
dude you got it easy, i was on my way to the skate park last night and i watched this guys bike fall of of his bike rack going 70mph, then it got ran over. luckaly i was in the next lane over and missed it!
about your bike that sucks i would try the local paint shop or just send it in and see if they will replace it that is if you have a warrenty on the frame.

did the guy that hit it have to pay$

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
yes hes having to pay for my car=$700 and repairs on 4 downhill bikes, which will end up being $3000 because of broken Boxxer Team, Race, and a new frame

oh and yeah ive gotta take pics for the insurance so ill post today or tomorrow when it stops posting here in the ****ty northwest

nato

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Chicago
Wow that sucks, im really sorry to hear it. Too many people come into our shop with the same problems.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
ryan/kona29 said:
dude you got it easy, i was on my way to the skate park last night and i watched this guys bike fall of of his bike rack going 70mph, then it got ran over. luckaly i was in the next lane over and missed it!
about your bike that sucks i would try the local paint shop or just send it in and see if they will replace it that is if you have a warrenty on the frame.

did the guy that hit it have to pay$

I have always worried about that happening to me. Could you tell if the bike rack broke, or was it the case of the bike not being mounted properly.

I have a Thule trunk mount rack, that I put my Dh rig on, and wonder how long they last for, until either an arm breaks...or whatever.

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
I would never trust my bike on a rack, I bought a cheap (£300) Nissan MPV, ripped the back seats out and throw the bikes straight in it. Too many of my mates have had close calls with straps or arms coming loose on racks.

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
I trust my bike on the yakima hook up, and the sportworks. Those are for sure the most reliable racks on the market!

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
i dont see any cracks or dents (mine was on the inside), but should i submit a claim for the frame? i just worry that if any problems show up, it'll be too late to be compensated then

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
Netguy said:
I have always worried about that happening to me. Could you tell if the bike rack broke, or was it the case of the bike not being mounted properly.

I have a Thule trunk mount rack, that I put my Dh rig on, and wonder how long they last for, until either an arm breaks...or whatever.
well there was three bikes(walmart brand) on the bike rack. it looked like the end one came off when there car hit a bump in the road, not shure why it came of though, i wasn't looking at the bikes when the one came off. who cares it was a walmart bike. mybe they will cocider geting a real bike when they buy a new one!

PS. personaly i like the trailer hitch type bike racks(platform style) then the trunk strap style ones.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
ffonsok said:
yes hes having to pay for my car=$700 and repairs on 4 downhill bikes, which will end up being $3000 because of broken Boxxer Team, Race, and a new frame

oh and yeah ive gotta take pics for the insurance so ill post today or tomorrow when it stops posting here in the ****ty northwest
well if he is haveing to pay$ just tell him that your bike was in good condition and that it got scratched when he hit it. then tell him that he needs to pay for a new pait job by a profesional painter!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
*This thread is worthless w/o pics*

That really sucks. I like the hitch racks. The non hitch trunk strap racks look sketchy to me becasue the only thing holding them is the straps.