Quantcast

Bike does not "want" to turn

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I've been trying to pin point for awhile what it is precisely that I don't quite get on my Trek Session (2010).

The bike doesn't seem to "want" to turn is as much as previous bikes. You lean it over but it doesn't quite hook into things as much as my previous bikes. I've been trying to get at it for awhile. Lowering the front end helped and so did lowering the low speed com (CCDB rear) but they seem like band aid fixes as the problem is still mostly there

The problem is most noticeable at low speeds but I tend to often go wider than I want at high speeds too.

Any input or previous experiences with other (or the same) bikes?

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
Try less compression on your fork. It probably has more to do with how you are riding the bike rather than how the bike is set up so without seeing you ride its hard to help.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
do you get sent wide because of traction or posture?
I have pretty good tires (DHR II's) but the traction from the boxxer on the front does seem to be kind of inferior compared to the back (what I believe to be the problem).

As for posture it's not exactly my first time to ride a bike. I'm asking here because past bikes, Uzzi, M9, Scythe, even the ASX were more "carveable", for lack of a better term, in a corner and I find it odd that the Trek doesn't quite feel that way. I pretty much get reminded instantly of the feeling I'm looking for whenever I try out my friend's Sunday or Turner DHR.

The feeling I'm looking for is when you lean into a corner, the front hooks up and rear breaks free a little and the bike turns. The feeling actually came pretty close when I was running bald minions. But I'd rather not resort to running bald minions.

Edit: Been on this bike for a good 10 months. I've gotten used to it's other quirks but this one still bugs me.

Last edited:

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
It's your riding position, get over the front of the bike more.

If this doesn't work, back off your low speed compression a bit and then focus on getting over the front of the bike.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Do stuff to get more weight on the front and less on the rear. This will press the tires differently and also steepen the geo in turns.
So: If you're on a short stem try a 50 or 55. Less spring and compression damping in the fork and enough rebound damping to be sure it's staying down in a turn, not springing back and sliding. Plenty of LSC in the rear and no more than 30% sag. If the bike has a long top tube and short chainstays you gotta exagerate the chest low and forward on turn in to plant the front tire.