Quantcast

Bike Engineers

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
poolesville/clemson for school
Hey Im going into college this fall and plan on majoring in engineering. Are there people that engineer bikes, you know the people that design the bikes. I was wondering what bike engineers take in college and just general information. Thanks.

I've been in the engineering profession for twenty years and to my knowlege there aren't any specific classes or seminars of any sort pretaining to the engineering of bicycles. You do have to have knowlege of strentgh of materials. I believe building bikes is an art not just a profession. Leave the bikes to the artist and go build bridges or space shuttles. You'll definately have more fun just riding the bike; and you'll truely make more money creating some spectacular engineering marvel. Trust me!!! :D :D

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
All right, thanks. Yeah Im planning on going into civil ngineering but thought Id check into the possiblities of engineering bikes. I figured with all the full suspension designs and such that there may be possiblities. What type of engineer are you? Also do you have an opinion on which school would be better for engineering, University of Maryland or Clemson University. Thanks.

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
Oh cool, yeah i checked out VT this summer. It was pretty cool, but a bit too big. Probably should have applied there though and maybe to NC State too. I asked about University of Maryland and Clemson becuase I got in to each. Thanks.

jasonvz

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I am in my last quarter of Mechanical engineering at UCLA. Mechanical engineering will definately help you in the design of a frame. Materials science is another area which may help you. The welds which join the tubes are the most critical points of any frame design. The materials used (ie. Al 6061, Al 7005, Ti, or even Mg) are another important part of frame design. Good luck.

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
Originally posted by buck
Hey Im going into college this fall and plan on majoring in engineering. Are there people that engineer bikes, you know the people that design the bikes. I was wondering what bike engineers take in college and just general information. Thanks.
A good friend of mine is a custom frame builder--no engineering background, but extensive bicycle background (25 years+), and excellent technical skills. Another friend was a frame builder, now an engineer, but eventually would like to engineer custom racing wheelchairs and adapted handbikes for parapalegics.

My advice would be to contact any framebuilders you can find and tell them about your interests. You'll certainly hear about framebuilding from the front lines. People don't go into custom bicycle fabrication for the money that's for sure.
Best of luck.:)

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
All right, thanks for the advice. Yeah I was thinking about emailing a few companies. I already emailed Santa Cruz and they were able to give me a good amount of information. Right now I think it would be cool to work for a company like Santa Cruz or Yeti, like a smaller, higher end company, no plans to start my own company but that would be cool. Thanks again.

memnuts

Chimp
Mar 25, 2003
I too am an ME. I seem to remember in written in either MBA or Moutain Bike that some college in CA is offering a two semester course on bicycle construction. If I can find the issue I will post the info.
One thing a bicycle company is looking for is if the engineer knows what can be constructed via usual machining and welding techniques. Taking a night welding course at your local Votech is very useful. Also interning at a machine shop will help a lot too.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by memnuts
I too am an ME. I seem to remember in written in either MBA or Moutain Bike that some college in CA is offering a two semester course on bicycle construction. If I can find the issue I will post the info.
One thing a bicycle company is looking for is if the engineer knows what can be constructed via usual machining and welding techniques. Taking a night welding course at your local Votech is very useful. Also interning at a machine shop will help a lot too.
that's currently EXACTLY what i'm doing. i've learned a good deal from the machine shop i am doing an apprenticeship through as well as working for my sponsor during the summer. the main thing you have to know when doing the actual design of the frame is the materials you are working w/. the better knowledge of the materials, ie tensile strengths, melting points, etc. will only help you design a better product in the long run. the only thing that you won't learn from any engineering class is geometry, that's something that just comes from years of experience and know how....oh and yeah take the welding class, think that would surprise you at how hard it is to actually weld a thin walled steel. believe me i'm trying now and it's rough. good luck w/ all of it though!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
No one ever makes any money in the bike industry, but it sure is fun to work in...

If you want to BUILD bikes, learn how to weld and machine... and just get crackin'. Grab any chance you get to work/apprentice with a professional builder.

If you want to DESIGN bikes, take as many of the following classes as you can:
- CAD
- Solids/Structural Mechanics
- Dynamics (Kinetics and Kinematics)
- Machinery design (usually follows solids and dynamics)
- Materials

If you want to start messing with shocks and forks:
- Systems
- Fluids
- Find work in a Moto shop.

Try to get involved with the Formula racing or Solar racing teams if your school has them. You'll learn a ton, especially if you work on chassis or suspension design.

Good luck!

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
Yeah i was wondering how much opportunity there is for bike engineers like working for a company and how much they got paid. I figured they wouldnt make too much, but it would be sweet. Thanks for all the info guys.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by buck
Yeah i was wondering how much opportunity there is for bike engineers like working for a company and how much they got paid. I figured they wouldnt make too much, but it would be sweet. Thanks for all the info guys.
It's a trade off. You can design bridges and cars for big money, or bikes because you love it.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Working in the bike industry is my dream job, but it's just that for the time being: a dream. I graduated with a ME degree from UVa last year and am finishing up a welding class, have worked in a bike shop (with a frame builder) for 3 years, and IMO have very good technical skills and knowledge of the industry. I applied to about 15 different bike companies, and have a few pro/inside contacts and have had no luck whatsoever. Maybe it's the economy right now, but I'm SOL getting a job in the industry. I'm currently looking for a "real" job right now, but I'd still love to work in the industry someday.

Good luck and race as much as possible to get to know people in the know.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by NRSracer
if you have a higher GPA, you should consider applying to MIT(massachussettes institute of technology);)
I had a friend that went there, and then into designing frames :thumb:

Watch out for MIT though, everyone there is either is smart, and works their arse off (no social life) or, BRILLIANT and does tons of drugs and stuff.

One of my friends friends worked for Lotus (software, not the car), made big$$ trading stocks, had a 4.0, and partied like a ROCK-STAR all at the same time.

Man... what a life.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
It's a trade off. You can design bridges and cars for big money, or bikes because you love it.
Or, spend half of your life making big money whilst buying and riding heaps of bikes, then once a decent knowledge base is built about bicycle geometry and whatever, kick back and start designing/building bikes. As said, the only way to understand geometry is to have experience, so build your experience in riding whilst you can afford to buy bikes, get some money saved, then move on to making them.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Matt D
Working in the bike industry is my dream job, but it's just that for the time being: a dream. I graduated with a ME degree from UVa last year and am finishing up a welding class, have worked in a bike shop (with a frame builder) for 3 years, and IMO have very good technical skills and knowledge of the industry. I applied to about 15 different bike companies, and have a few pro/inside contacts and have had no luck whatsoever. Maybe it's the economy right now, but I'm SOL getting a job in the industry. I'm currently looking for a "real" job right now, but I'd still love to work in the industry someday.

Good luck and race as much as possible to get to know people in the know.

i'd be more then willing to bet it's the ecomony buddy, espically w/ the shape the bike industry in a whole is in right now. :(

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
Damn I was worried that it would be hard to get a engineering job in the mtn biking industry. Maybe Ill just get an engineering job somewhere else and make a good amount of money and buy bikes. Well I guess I wont have to worry about that too much, dont start college till august so I have time. Thanks for the info, its helped a lot.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by indieboy
i'd be more then willing to bet it's the ecomony buddy, espically w/ the shape the bike industry in a whole is in right now. :(
nah, even when the economy is good jobs are scarce in bicycle engineering. R&D departments are generally run by the people that founded the company to begin with, and there really isn't much need for extra (unproven) brains. You can find jobs in marketing and manufacture, but not engineering.

The best way to get into engineering bikes is to start building your own... it's not cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than breaking into most other industries.

Rustmouse

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
Olympia, WA
If you want to know what engineering you should take ... ask this guy - Ron Sutphin...

he runs one of 2 bike mechanic schools in the country (rumor has it, worldwide) He teaches bicycle building in addition to mechanics

This guy knows more about bikes than any normal human should. The school has been around for a good 20 years now, and he's been there the whole time.

Universal Bicycle Institute

This guy really loves bikes and loves discussing them....

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
This seems as good a thread as any for my first post here. Like several others I grew up crazy about bikes and wanted to get a job in the industry. I got my degree in MET. Not only do you get engineering classes, but you learn machine shop and welding skills. I highly recomend it.
As far as getting a job after grad., don't bother looking at the bike biz. Pay those student loans off, and then start buying tools and computers. Make bicycle engineering your hobby. You have all the time in the world to come up with great ideas. Build what you can by your self, test & refine, just start small & be safe. ;)

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by memnuts

I'm pretty sure it was Stanford where ME students could take a class on Frame building.

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
<---- Senior ME here, done in a month or so.

Youll learn lots of stuff about bikes. The basic principles governing a bike are not that complicated. Its basic structural stuff and materials info You'll learn that stuff. The machining part and welding part, if you get involved in the right things youll learn that too. I would love a job engineering in the bike industry, BUT at this point my concern is not that its hard to find a job with a bike co, but that its hard to find any job at all.

brian