Quantcast

Bike Expo this weekend - lots of mtb goodies

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle

The 2005 Group Health Seattle International Bicycle Expo is this weekend. This year there will be a lot more mountain bike focus, including a BMX vert show, an outdoor dirt test track brought to you by volunteers from BBTC and Urban Sparks, a beer garden, and more mountain bike vendors. We thank Cascade Bike Club for bringing in more of us muddy, ugly types! The official Bike Expo web page.

BBTC is bringing a free BMX clinic for those of us under 18. Featuring pro rider Nick Halsey from MacNeil bikes, and several experienced BBTC instructors. This "BMX Bootcamp" is Saturday at 2:30 in Hangar 30, bring your own bike and a helmet. Limited to the 12 who sign up, sign up here.

Compete against fellow mountain bikers in the Mountain Bike Supermoto comp. Indoor paved short-course competition. Emphasis on hard cornering and short sprints, slicks highly recomended. First hour will be qualifying with the best times advancing for head to head racing during the second hour. Races will be 3 or 5 laps and last about 2-3 minutes. Prizes donated by Cycoactive for the top finishers. This is pavement so besides a helmet and gloves elbow/knee pads will be required. Bring your own or use the loaners we'll have available. Sat. 5:00 pm in Hangar 30 sign up here

Be sure to roll by and say hi to us at the Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club booth, conveniently located a few steps from the beer garden, and find out more about your local mountain bike advocacy group.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Yeah, they're keeping it open all weekend. Cascade tells me that there are going to me more mfr's with mountain bikes to test this year. I think they have a lit of vendors up on their website.

Dave_Schuldt

Monkey
Jun 13, 2004
Seattle
The test track has some small drops, log stacks, stumps and parking barriers to ride. I hear the track will stay open after the expo. Rode it on Tuesday for about an hour and had a good time. A good place to practice without having to go anywhere out of the city.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
dwaugh said:
How is there a larger MTB focus with a BMX show? Well, I might be there if I happen to go to seattle this weekend. Where is it?
I guess its just that most mountain bikers think BMX is cool. Those guys are super smooth on a full rigid bike bustin' sweet tricks in the air. And a lot of us (especially us older guys) got a start with a Huffy back in the neighborhood jumping off of firewood ramps. Maybe its just me... enough of the nostalgia trip back to the days of mullets and Camaros.

Expo is at Sand Point Magnuson Park in Seattle - follow the signs to Hangar 27.

Dave_Schuldt

Monkey
Jun 13, 2004
Seattle
Lots of people there today. As I was standing around at the test track I noticed that all the Kona demo bikes were NEW. It's nice to ride a new bike, it makes me want one! If you went to Expo last year, it's way beter this year in the old hangers by the lake.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Man i'm burnt out. Getting rid of all my crap takes more energy than it seems.

Made:$65
Spent:$62 including table fee

Scored-
Giro helmet $20
Baggy shorts $20
2 slightly used Maxxis high roller $15

traded in rest of crap to Recycled Cycles after show was done...
Scored-
3 glueless patch kit dealies
3 boxes of Enervit GT (like a whole Gatorade in a pill)
1 bottle of Bikeline biodegradable chain lube
1 Krypto cable
add fifty cents to total.

Now i still have 2 forks to sell and 1 nap to take, i'm pooped.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
I'm tired too. I brought in about 900 and spent 40 on a headset press.

it was good day, and i didn't even sell the stuff i didn't REALLY want to get rid of. :love:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Skookum said:
Man i'm burnt out. Getting rid of all my crap takes more energy than it seems.
Doode! Me too. I'm so burnt on bikes right now. I brought in $568 and spent $60! Kevin made $390 and didn't buy a thing.

For some reason Kevin and mine face feel sunburnt :think:

I can't wait to enjoy my bike tomorrow on the trail :)

Jan 30, 2005
sest weattle
i showed up to the swap at 9:05 or so and the line was litirally around the building. :nopity:

we went to the expo and i was pretty dissapointed with the fact that 75% was road stuff

i did get to talk to tom Prochasca about things

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Cash in wallet at opening: $40
cash in wallet in leaving: $168

Things ill miss:
Raceface diablos stem
Thomson post
Shimano DH clipless

Things i scored:
Bell helmet: $20 ---- now VNO cant make fun of the yellow giro.
Goggles w/ 3 lenses: $20
3spd front grip shift: $5
shorty ODI set: $5
OURY lock ons: $5
Manitou 450 x 3 spring: $5
Sportworks Instagater truck bed bike rack: traded.... thanks Matt, i feel i owe ya a little more? Beers in spokane?

I set up my bike tonight with the grip front to allow for a more adjustable front sdhiofting since i can never get it to work without rubbign in some combos...or having a hard time shifting up... Tomorrow will be fun with or without a voice.....

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Snacks said:
...Kevin made $390 and didn't buy a thing.
Au contraire (sp), I made $399 (started with $120, left with $419) then went to recycled cycles and sold some misc tidbits for $60. So $459 total take. Then came home and sold my shuttle trailer for $100!!!

I did offer $40 for a CK headset the guy had for $50 - "I already got it sold for $50" with an attitude. If its sold, whys it still on the table?
Also found a set of XTR cranks for really cheap and went to get my money and got sidetracked. By the time I remembered, they were gone.
And this was all before they opened the doors to the general public!

To the dudes from Old Town, one of the benefits of being a "vendor" (one of the peeps selling your crap) is you get time before they let in the general public to peruse others stuff and make deals. No need to cop an attitude with the "we don't start selling until 9:00."

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
D, if I had known you needed a front grip shift....I have at least 2 sitting in my basement.

Are you riding tomorrow? I know it's late, but let me know and I'll check this early tomorrow.

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
Oh...I can make fun of the yellow bucket...buddy! We wanted to be there to sell our ware but I'm in Indianapolis doing audits. I have a trip planned for March...probably 18-21. I'll send the bike up so we can do some riding.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
ChainWhip said:
I don't know how much I made (exactly), but I think there were more shoppers this year compared to last year - ofcourse, we had a killer spot this year...

My big box of bike parts is now a little box :(
I REALLY dissliked the layout of the sellers tables.....

it made me dizzy. :o: In the past you would do loops, but that extra inner row and short cuts were throwing me all off. I could remember where half the stuff was. :angry: :D

I ended up helping my buddy buy cycling shoes, Oly's Pedals, a trainer, a cycleing computer, buddy's wife found some cycling shoes (size 6 ladies! them are some small feet!) I was able to get him to spend all his $$$ :evil:

I ended up with 2 new in the box Kenda Kenetics Stick-E 2.35 f/r tires ($10 each) and a new MBA magazine from Oly for free :thumb:

BTW: Check out ToughGuyMcGee in his RDR/Bike Works jersey on a white V-10 with Dorado on page 99 of April 05 MBAction. It is part of their article about MTB parks in the US and Canada. I missed it atleast 3 times Sunday night (I was sleepy) Monday AM I caught it right away. :)