Quantcast

Bike fit?

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
So I turn Old this year, and thinking of getting myself fit for my road bike as a thank you for not dying and/or getting any shitty tattoos up to now. Worth it? It's pretty spendy. Though the numbness, aches and shooting pain in various extremities would be a nice thing to solve.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Make sure they do an old, broken DHer comfort fit, not a "racer" fit if you do book something.

*Have never been professionally fit, so no idea.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Whenever I ride my road bike after a long hiatus, which is most of the time anymore, I always feel like it is a mile too long. Then 10 minutes later it feels great, then my mountainbikes feel short and upright. Might be worth spending a little time perhaps on a borrowed bike to at least get a little acclimated to a new position before a fitting.

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Oh, this would be on my current, plastic, mail-order 105 road bike I'm on 2-3 days a week. Most rides are around an hour or so, just laps in the park, and sometimes a longer weekend ride if I'm not on the MTB.

Uncomfort kicks in around 30-40 mins in and requires a bit of awkward stretching like I'm trying to mix in some interpretive dance moves while rolling along.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
like I'm trying to mix in some interpretive dance moves while rolling along.
I think you have to do those in Union Square or maybe Washington Square Park, not sure about the middle of Grand Army Plaza, but I'll let you be the judge being local.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
If your uncomfortable for half of your normal rides, and it's keeping you from enjoying those rides as much as you could, and keeping you from doing longer rides (if you want to do longer rides) then it's worth it.

I used to get uncomfortable after a couple of hours, and after a good fit, I can ride 6-7 hours without any issues. Was totally worth it for me.

I ended up buying new shoes, a new stem, seatpost, saddle, and eventually bars, after my fit, so it was really expensive.

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Yeah, thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to give it a shot. There's a boutique-y place with a slickly produced Vimeo promo, staffed by guys with good haircuts near me.

I'm expecting to have to change a few things. Mainly shoes and pedals, as I am running 20-yr-old Crank Bros Candys and an ill-fitting pair of Giro mtb shoes.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yeah, thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to give it a shot. There's a boutique-y place with a slickly produced Vimeo promo, staffed by guys with good haircuts near me.

I'm expecting to have to change a few things. Mainly shoes and pedals, as I am running 20-yr-old Crank Bros Candys and an ill-fitting pair of Giro mtb shoes.
I can see your wallet emptying from here… :P

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What I've heard of professional fits is that if you have pain, they can help you solve it. If you don't, then it may not be worth the cost.

I've also heard that you get what you pay for, so go for the swanky vimeo shop and not herbert derbert's 14 yo wrench clinic.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@Fool I haven't seen news coverage of you signing for Ineos, Jumbo or UAE for next season based on the new bike fit, so how's it worked out?

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Just got this done last Monday. Turns out multiple shoulder injuries / surgery and broken collarbones make you pretty crooked.

I got away with a new seat and shorter stem, in addition to whatever other new-age crystal waving and sage burning he did as part of the fit. New seat was spendy, but holy taints, it is so much less worse. Shorter stem to get weight off my hands. Had some choice things to say about my particular brand of mail-order bike, but then again, the bikes hanging around the shop probably cost more than your new striker's weekly salary.

I got one long and one short ride on it so far. Where I'd normally be numb and/or aching in multiple places after an hour in never manifested. New shorter seat with the dong hole was totally worth the cost.

Calling this a win.

Edit -- regarding shoes/pedals, he didn't see any alignment issues and said to save the money on that. Instead, wanted to sell me carbon bars.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just got this done last Monday. Turns out multiple shoulder injuries / surgery and broken collarbones make you pretty crooked.

I got away with a new seat and shorter stem, in addition to whatever other new-age crystal waving and sage burning he did as part of the fit. New seat was spendy, but holy taints, it is so much less worse. Shorter stem to get weight off my hands. Had some choice things to say about my particular brand of mail-order bike, but then again, the bikes hanging around the shop probably cost more than your new striker's weekly salary.

I got one long and one short ride on it so far. Where I'd normally be numb and/or aching in multiple places after an hour in never manifested. New shorter seat with the dong hole was totally worth the cost.

Calling this a win.

Edit -- regarding shoes/pedals, he didn't see any alignment issues and said to save the money on that. Instead, wanted to sell me carbon bars.
What length stem were/ are you now and what saddle?

I tried the GG saddle but had to go back to my normal 143mm SpecEd Romin with cutout that I have on my of my bikes.

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I tried a few during the fitting and of course my taint demanded only the finest of Italian saddlery from Selle Italia, the Novus Boost Evo.

Stem ended up with a comically short 70mm down from 100. This is where the bike's geometry commentry took a heated tone from my fitter. or Fittist. Whatever you call a guy who does this.

On my Smash I am running a WTB Volt, which I like a whole bunch.

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
What bike are you riding, anyway?
Canyon Endurace CF SL 7.0. Bought it right when the pandemic hit, when I thought I'd be the last man standing in NYC, doing endless laps of Prospect Park, past mountains of unburied, covid-killed corpses. Turns out I was wrong! Except for the endless laps part.

Edit - the Fit-Man's main issues with Canyon frames is they measure larger than stated. The medium I am riding is supposed to fit like a 56, which my last bike was, but fits more like a 58. Also, the geo for an "endurance" bike is too low, so you end up in much more of an aggressive position. Not like I'm smashing any of the crit races going on at Prospect.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Weird, I thought "endurance" focused road bikes were supposed to be a little more upright. I'm in favour of a 57 ETT sized road bike, my old one was, new one is 58 and could probably do with a cm shorter stem than I have on it. Not surprised you were stretched out on a pseudo 58 with a 100 stem.

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Weird, I thought "endurance" focused road bikes were supposed to be a little more upright. I'm in favour of a 57 ETT sized road bike, my old one was, new one is 58 and could probably do with a cm shorter stem than I have on it. Not surprised you were stretched out on a pseudo 58 with a 100 stem.
They are, and this is certainly marketed as one. Just not executed as such. When I ordered it, I went by the measurements on their site, which put me right in the middle of the medium. You'd think that'd be the happy place. But the fit helped, and it's not like my passion is road riding. It's just maintenance so I don't die on the dwindling days I have for trail rides and park days.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I have the same bike. It is more relaxed compared to their other offerings (Ultimate and Aeroad), so it's "endurance" within their own lineup, but yeah, it's not at all an upright cruiser of a bike.

Love mine. And FWIW, it'll clear tires that measure 35-36mm.

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I put 32mm Conti Grand Prix 4/S on mine, which I am pleased with. Like I said, it's a lot better with the fit. I was really struggling with arm and hand numbness.