Quantcast

Bike Fitting

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
So...I've never had a proper bike fitting before last night. As a deal between my current sponsor and Molly Cameron, she provided a bike fitting for free. It was really interesting to hear her input on bike fit, crank length, and training for cross. Her and I compete at cross throughout the year and she gave me some good feedback on my riding style (I tend to push a bigger gear and she spins). Even though she and I are similar in most dimensions, she runs 170mm cranks and I run 175mm. Now I'm thinking about dropping down to 172.5 on my cross bikes :)

Overall it was a lot of fun to spend the evening BSing about racing and getting input on my position. Her shop, the Portland Bicycle Studio, is nice and has a cool setup with all of the fitting gear. I'm going to take what I learned and put it to use and if my new position works out, I'll have a full custom Ti frame built around it.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I am trying to get setup for one too. I think it will be worth while with the amount of riding I am doing.
We'll see how I like my fit after this next training block. I'll let you guys know.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
2D is basically side view taking knee/pedal drop and seat height into consideration. 3D includes fore/aft adjustments to align foot/knee/hip. 3D is the most comprehensive and would make adjustments for any kind of deviation in travel that is not a straight line (looking from front to back).

You should be surprised by the fit. This guy racing Gila this week was riding too high when I did a fit. I dropped him a bit and he feels he gained power. Little bits make huge differences.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
2D is basically side view taking knee/pedal drop and seat height into consideration. 3D includes fore/aft adjustments to align foot/knee/hip. 3D is the most comprehensive and would make adjustments for any kind of deviation in travel that is not a straight line (looking from front to back).

You should be surprised by the fit. This guy racing Gila this week was riding too high when I did a fit. I dropped him a bit and he feels he gained power. Little bits make huge differences.
I think maybe the most rewarding/ awesome thing I can remember from my shop tenure was a guy who'd been riding the local TT course on a near weekly basis every summer for years, coming in, getting a fit, and setting a PR on it 2 days later.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I had a 3D fit. I rode for 3 hours this morning and I like the fit. I feel more comfortable on the bike.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you

that was me. I was riding to high and got the saddle lowered late last year . I gained a ton of power, FTP went into the mid 300's