Quantcast

Bike for a newbie?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Its been a long, long time since I've bought a bike for someone new. And yet, like an idiot, I am going to buy one for the girlfriend. She doesn't need implants, so I've got a leg up on a couple of you...

Would it be a violation of her 8th Amendment rights (prohibition of cruel and unusual punishments) to get her a hard tail for riding in Phoenix? I found a really great deal on a Yeti ARC in her size, but I am not sure if a hard tail is the way to go for her.

So if you were going buy a bike for a woman you were sleeping with, would you save some money and get her a well spec'ed used bike, or do you drop an extra $600 to $800 and get her a FS bike?

Apr 22, 2003
Lower VT
You are screwed. Give her the $2k in cash, punch yourself in the balls a few times, break up with her and start a "Which city should I move to" thread. This will save you much trouble in the long run.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
You are screwed. Give her the $2k in cash, punch yourself in the balls a few times, break up with her and start a "Which city should I move to" thread. This will save you much trouble in the long run.

Eh, I like Phoenix. If it doesn't work out, she can do what my ex-wife did and move somewhere else.

Would it work if I just jumped up, slammed my nuts on the edge of the couch, gave her $1200, and then close my head in the jam of my front door?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Depends on what trails you will be riding most of the time.
South Mountain/Trail 100 - I'd go with a full suspension. Those trails are rocky and rough enough that a hardtail isn't much fun, especially for a newbie.

McDowell Mtn Loops, Desert Classic, Papago - Hardtail would be just fine. In fact, take her to the McDowell Mtn Comp Loops for the first few rides, she'll love that and they are a good tool to learn how to ride properly.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Give her the $2k in cash.
Chumble is right, just give her the cash and earn the points that way. Building her a bike and trying to get her to ride it earns you negative points.

If you want a girl that likes MTBing... find one and ask her out. Don't try to make one on your own... for the most part only other girls can create female MTBers. Your only chance is to find an all girls MTB club and see if she will get involved.

I tried to do this with my wife many moons ago and I ended up building an expensive garage ornament. In her defense, she tried it, but just didn't like it. As much as I wish she had gotten into it, It's probably just as well... I can ride a faster pace and train more efficiently alone anyway.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
BTW if you must do this... get something cheap and comfortable, buy a completely entry level or used mid level FS bike. She wont know the difference at first... but when she hates it and you only wasted $600 instead of $2000... you will.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The Yeti I found was $700 all tricked out. Its used, but is in great shape, and would be a good Yeti to add to the family.

She wants a Specialized Safire, but even with my "bro discount" its a $1700 bike, and that's more than I want to put into this girl at this point.

Feb 17, 2010
A, A
Yeah, I'd have to agree with the dude that said, "find a chick who likes mtb'ing and ask her out". Thats actually where I am right now, but i'm building her a bike from the ground up, custom paint custom hubs, a nice build, but not goin to break the bank. I'll put probly $600 or $700 into this first HT bike and when she outgrows it and wants to go longer and further, then we'll go with a fully. Just getting her in, she'll either love it or hate it. Ya know what you could do, take her to a demo, where she can ride a fully and a ht, that way you can see if she even likes to ride before you jump in head first.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Just give her the hardtail.

She ain't going to ride it beyond to the park and back, and the idea of "If I give her a full-suspension, then she will ride at N* with me", is a fallacy.

Besides you could just rent a good bike for the one time she finds out mountain biking involves crashing, I am thinking about the several women who have taken to mountain biking.

They have all bought their bikes based on their specific criteria, but most important for them was that it was THEIR bike.

If your lady wants to be a mountain biker, she has to get her own bike.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
My lady is CHEAP!

Before we divorced, my ex rode, did DH, the whole nine yards. Far too cool of a girl for me.

The new one is flipping out because she can't come play, but refuses to spend the sort of money we do on bikes. Its a **** show.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

I rescued this from the shed yesterday. Bought it for a friend so he could race the Mt. Hood series, but he ended up going to Iraq instead. I got it for $600 off ebay over 2 years ago and it's dying to be ridden. I should strap my wife to it and send her down the hill at Ski Bowl :rofl:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
No, same girl as that thread.
Almost 8 months now. I'm keeping her drugged for the most part.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
So if you were going buy a bike for a woman you were sleeping with, would you save some money and get her a well spec'ed used bike, or do you drop an extra $600 to $800 and get her a FS bike?
you don't want her too sore so you can't plow her after the ride...

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I did not purchase my girlfriends bike, but the choice to get a full suspension was the best choice that could have been made for her enjoyment level of mountain biking, she has a hair more travel than necessary, and it may slow her down a bit on the climbs or long pedal sections, but her overall comfort during and after a ride are 10 times better having chosen the full suspension bike.