Quantcast

Bike for Highland?

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Im going on my first trip to highland in may.

Ive got the money to complete 1 of my 2 bikes before I go, either my 05 DHR build or my Tazer FS, both very different bikes, which one is suggested so i can start concentrating on that one first as i know Highland is varied in its riding

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
You'd be fine on the DHR there, but the Tazer would be fun, too. Relatively speaking, Highland is a bit smoother and maybe a hair slower than most parks I've ridden, so a full DH bike seems a bit overkill on some of their stuff. Considering how diverse the riding is there, DH trails, jump parks, pump tracks, jump trails, the Tazer might be more fun.

BTW, saying it's 'maybe a hair slower' than most parks is not a knock on the place at all. The level of trail building is second to none, and it's my favorite place to ride, other than maybe Bromont and definitely Whistler. It's just that it's a relatively small mountain, so you can only do so much there.

--JP

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
It's a win win situation. Either bike would be a blast there. Unless your Tazer is built up with super lightweight stuff - then it would be pretty sore after a day there. Most of the trails are either smooth and fast or slow and techy - aside from 'Threshhold' which is very blown up and you definitely want a DH bike on.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
turner is built up pretty standard fair

the tazer built up with a pike U-turn

leaning towards the DHR right now from the sounds of it

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
I would choose the DHR, you can do almost everything there on it. You can't go wrong either way, it just depends on what you want to ride the most.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
If you hit jumps as much as I do you'll really enjoy the shorter travel bike. Otherwise take the bigger bike. You'll have fun on both, it's just a question of which type of riding you prefer.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you're kind of on either side of the spectrum. On one hand, the DHR will let you blast through certain sections and really opens up threshold, the old DH race trail. On the other, the Tazer will let you rip through the berms that are everywhere and accelerate out of them better than you could on the turner. The mountain doesn't have a lot of elevation, so a bike that pedals well is essential.

For me, of all the bikes I've ridden there, the shortest travel bikes have been the best. New Bullit, Racelink, Mini Link, Sunday, Bighit, and my favorite was the bullit. The best (most fun) trails there are not necessarily the roughest, in fact most of those trails have limited rough sections at all (top of fancy feast, middle of eastern namrock, top of helltrack).

Anyways, I think you'd get more use and fun out of the tazer. Check out their videos, they're pretty accurate as to trail features, and you can gauge what kind of riding it is. I saw a feller there on a foes zig zag, and I think that might be the perfect bike for that mountain.