Quantcast

bike frame question.

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by tubs26, Jan 27, 2013.

1. tubs26

tubs26 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    ok so I want to get back into DH and as we all know its easier said then done. i dont have a job so its really just money I've saved up from selling things that neighbors gave me for free. I read somewhere that the bikes are expensive because of the name and whatnot, someone posted on that website that he had a frame built/built his own frame for $150. where the hell can i do that!? lol. do you call up someone and tell them what you want? or what?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Downhillbiker23

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Maybe he meant $150 in parts. You'd need welders, tube benders and what not. If you pay someone to design one it would cost way more than $150

3. tubs26

tubs26 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    huh, ok, he said it was a hard tail. ill find it again.

4. tubs26

tubs26 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    "I just build my own frames
    You can get good high end steel tubing,bb,drop-outs etc for about $150.00 and then just build up the frame rigid single speed....You can set up a fairly well equipped shop for less than the cost of one bling bike and then learn how to fabricate frames. You can then build a new frame for cheap.....
    So are cyclists paying to much....well i think so but then the market supports it.. "

thats what he said, ill post the website if you want though

#4 -   Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  5. tubs26

tubs26 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I dont know if I'm misunderstanding him or what.

6. blackohio

blackohio Generous jaywalker

Rep/Likes:
    31 / 120
    it;s going to take a bit more effort than just getting the parts. geometry plays a big part of it, as does welding/heat treating. You'll be much better off buying used, as often times you can get a complete for what you would just pay in components alone.

7. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 280
    To be honest even protection is going to run you more than 150$. A full bike for 150$? That's also not possible. I've seen some deals in my life but if it is to be safe and usable it's hard to make it. You may weld a frame for that much but that makes no sense since you get get a proper hardtail for that amount (used). The thing is components will cost much. Even if you have tires from the trash can, brakes, wheels and drivetrain all expensive.

8. 6thElement

6thElement Schrodinger's Immigrant

Rep/Likes:
    80 / 1,557
    He could buy two minions and have change for a pack of gum with his $150.

9. tubs26

tubs26 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    yeah i kinda thought something was up. ill keep looking for complete bikes. see whats crackin.

10. jnooth

jnooth Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 1
    something like this is probably as cheap as you are going to find for something that you can go out and have fun on and not constantly be breaking parts. its simple. a single speed hard tail

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1263591/

**not my add**

11. tubs26

tubs26 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    yeah that's kinda what i was leaning on getting, i already have a bmx bike, I just want something i can take out to the woods and jump stuff.

12. tubs26

tubs26 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0