Quantcast

bike frame question.

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
ok so I want to get back into DH and as we all know its easier said then done. i dont have a job so its really just money I've saved up from selling things that neighbors gave me for free. I read somewhere that the bikes are expensive because of the name and whatnot, someone posted on that website that he had a frame built/built his own frame for $150. where the hell can i do that!? lol. do you call up someone and tell them what you want? or what?

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
ok so I want to get back into DH and as we all know its easier said then done. i dont have a job so its really just money I've saved up from selling things that neighbors gave me for free. I read somewhere that the bikes are expensive because of the name and whatnot, someone posted on that website that he had a frame built/built his own frame for $150. where the hell can i do that!? lol. do you call up someone and tell them what you want? or what?
Maybe he meant $150 in parts. You'd need welders, tube benders and what not. If you pay someone to design one it would cost way more than $150

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
"I just build my own frames
You can get good high end steel tubing,bb,drop-outs etc for about $150.00 and then just build up the frame rigid single speed....You can set up a fairly well equipped shop for less than the cost of one bling bike and then learn how to fabricate frames. You can then build a new frame for cheap.....
So are cyclists paying to much....well i think so but then the market supports it.. "

thats what he said, ill post the website if you want though

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
it;s going to take a bit more effort than just getting the parts. geometry plays a big part of it, as does welding/heat treating. You'll be much better off buying used, as often times you can get a complete for what you would just pay in components alone.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
To be honest even protection is going to run you more than 150$. A full bike for 150$? That's also not possible. I've seen some deals in my life but if it is to be safe and usable it's hard to make it. You may weld a frame for that much but that makes no sense since you get get a proper hardtail for that amount (used). The thing is components will cost much. Even if you have tires from the trash can, brakes, wheels and drivetrain all expensive.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
He could buy two minions and have change for a pack of gum with his $150.

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
yeah i kinda thought something was up. ill keep looking for complete bikes. see whats crackin.

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
yeah that's kinda what i was leaning on getting, i already have a bmx bike, I just want something i can take out to the woods and jump stuff.