Quantcast

Bike Friendly Skateparks

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I just got home from getting kicked out of the folsom skate park. I've been riding that place for ages (at night) and have never had problems, but a cop pulled up around an hour ago and called me out. I was there with one friend and one bike shared between the two of us. We didn't get ticketed, but he took out names down and whatnot.

Anywho, I live <i>near</i> folsom and sacramento. I work in folsom. What are some close bike friendly parks I can hit up?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I don't know of any public parks that allow bikes. I guess it has something to do with insurance. It sucks, but you just have to risk getting a ticket for now. This past weekend, some friends and I rode 4 different skateparks in the bay area, and went on a full day street session in San Francisco without getting hassled once. You probably will get a ticket sooner or later, but I kind of look at a ticket like a lift ticket at a ski resort. You get to ride for a while but eventually you have to pay to play.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
It's nothing spectacular but Rush Park tolerates bikes. They have signs stating that bikes aren't allowed but no one cares. They have skaters, bmx, razor scooters, and bladers all the time out there. The park is on Antelope Rd just west of Auburn Blvd.

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
I have friends that ride at the skate park in Placerville near the fairgrounds. I think they might even have special bike hours. I have not ridden there myself yet but the park looks like it has some good lines for bikes.

I think the biggest reason for outlawing bikes at skateparks is pegs. They destroy the coping that is designed for skateboards and not durable enough for grinding on a bike. Obviously this is not a problem for most MTB's.

Here's a pic of the park: www.caslusf.com/joe_park2.jpg

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I talked to some bmx kats once and they told me they rode Pville's skate park which is supposed to be really sweet. They said tho that you need to hit it up hella early in the morn. He said they hit it later in the day and got kicked out. So I'd go at the buttcrack of dawn.

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
pleasanton bike park is fun.. you should try there. it's dirt and its ONLY for riders. theres no skateboards, no skooters, no bladers. it was built by shane huntoon, the guy who runs the san ramon and livermore bmx tracks..
you should check that place out. its public, no fees to pay

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Vacaville and Fairfield both have decent scateparks.
Friends of mine ride the Vacaville one all the time.
Bikes are "technically" banned at the Fairfield one, but there are always bmx'ers there.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
skatetokil said:
yeah, i ate **** in my local skatepark this morning and it reminded me how much softer dirt is than concrete.

I don't know, sometimes the dirt is just as hard. It seems like I eat harder on dirt anyways, scrubbin hard and gettin tangled up.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
mtbikermark said:
Where is that dirt jump park in Pleasanton? Are they public trails?
I can't remember what street it's on. Do a search on msdhw.com and you'll be able to find something (that's how I found it).

It's public, legal and free.

Word of warning. Last time I was there it was half flooded. If your driving all the way from Jackson you might want to wait a few weeks.

East Bay Rich

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
WC CA
Antioch Skatepark is nice and flowey. There are sometimes rent-a-cops on weekends. It can get crowded.

WC Skatepark is fenced and some people I know have gotten booted after a few minutes.

Lamorinda Skatepark in Moraga is small and bikes can get tix. usually lotsa groms...

San Ramon skatepark is 2 miles from the San Ramon BMX track (same road, i think, but never been to the skatepark)

Check out the iHateBikes.net blog here.

Pleasanton BMX park is just east of the McDonald's on Stanley Blvd. If you pass the Water Slides, you've gone too far. The cross street is confusing since it's Valley Drive to the North of the intersection, and Bernal Ave to the South. Last pics I saw (3 weeks ago) is that the middle section is really flooded.

YahooMap
-ebRich

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Pleasonton park is pretty bomb. I've taken my mountain bike out there and it was completely awesome.

I ride BMX at the parks, though. When you ride street/park and you break parts almost as often as you do when you DH, it's good to be riding something that is cheap and easy to fix up.

So I guess I'll have to check out Rush park and P-ville. Do any of you know the bike hours at P-ville? It's pretty far away, and I'd like to ride when I show up.

Does Rush park have a lighting system? I've driven by there on a monday afternoon a few times and it was PACKED. Any good times to go?

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Nah, Rush closes at dusk so no lights. I go in the morn before I go to work. So I hit it at 7am for a 20-30min session and head to work.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
Serveem,

I should try n get over there when you do since I work graves and could sneak out early. I definately need to learn how to ride skatepark. I thought Roseville had a skate park out at the Maidu Center off Douglas Blvd?

We need to hook up bro, I found a sweet tucked away dj spot so pm me if ya want. I kinda stumbled upon it. We need to take a day, pile our crap into the truck and go hit some local spots up. Not long sessions but just try n hit a bunch of spots out here locally. I need to get working on my skills as they suck.

Oh yeah, 8 of us from my buddy's team went up to Auburn on Saturday and it was super tacky. We did everything including the darkside(Cool side). It was fun. I went back to clipless pedals and almost killed myself.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
J_B

Yea after this storm breaks I'm game to meet in the morning at Rush. I'm hoping to get my urban set up soon but I ride my trail bike at the park. I haven't been riding DH cuz my wheel set is getting pretty weak. All my repairs are starting to pile up.

I'm down to DJ whenever, you're the one with the wacky schedule. This past Sunday we went to the prison jumps in Folsom. Was a great day for riding.

You're crazy for riding with clipless pedals.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
PM sent.

ServeEm said:
J_B

Yea after this storm breaks I'm game to meet in the morning at Rush. I'm hoping to get my urban set up soon but I ride my trail bike at the park. I haven't been riding DH cuz my wheel set is getting pretty weak. All my repairs are starting to pile up.

I'm down to DJ whenever, you're the one with the wacky schedule. This past Sunday we went to the prison jumps in Folsom. Was a great day for riding.

You're crazy for riding with clipless pedals.

Prechrysler

Chimp
Aug 6, 2004
If you're ever in Sonoma area, you can hit up the Santa Rosa Skatepark. Bikes aren't allowed there, but there are more bikes than skaters it seems, so cops never do anything about it; a democracy thing, I guess. Also, Ramp Rats is an indoor BIKE and skatepark in Petaluma.

edit: You have to pay for Ramp Rats, $8 a day. It's quality, though.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
thePINKster said:
pleasanton bike park is fun.. you should try there. it's dirt and its ONLY for riders. theres no skateboards, no skooters, no bladers. it was built by shane huntoon, the guy who runs the san ramon and livermore bmx tracks..
you should check that place out. its public, no fees to pay

Pleasanton is a lot of fun. As of Sunday, 3/13/06, it is still closed due to water. Hopefully soon.

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
pbr said:
Pleasanton is a lot of fun. As of Sunday, 3/13/06, it is still closed due to water. Hopefully soon.
Sad day.... when do u think it'll b open again? and do you know if the livermore and san ramon bmx tracks are too wet to ride?

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
thePINKster said:
Sad day.... when do u think it'll b open again? and do you know if the livermore and san ramon bmx tracks are too wet to ride?
Livermore is open. We rode it a few weeks ago. I'm not sure about San Ramon, but I believe it is open.

Pleasanton doesn't really have a drainage set up at all, and seems to retain water. Hopefully that is something that can be remedied this season..

It would be nice if they added some more stuff to Sandhill.. so much space with so much potential still......

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
pbr said:
Livermore is open. We rode it a few weeks ago. I'm not sure about San Ramon, but I believe it is open.

Pleasanton doesn't really have a drainage set up at all, and seems to retain water. Hopefully that is something that can be remedied this season..

It would be nice if they added some more stuff to Sandhill.. so much space with so much potential still......
I agree and would love to see some DJ's out there...plan to talk to Phil about that at some point...