Quantcast

Bike geo tweaks. Input needed.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Here's the deal. I've got a Transition Bottle Rocket that I use for everything from an AM bike to a lift served/ shuttle DH rig. More of the latter of late. I'm even hoping to do a couple of DH races on it this summer. So I'd like to make it a bit more DH friendly. I ran a 36 on it for a couple seasons, which had been on a previous bike as well. When that gave up the ghost, I picked up a Totem with the idea that I'd like to try slackening the bike out a little. The slacker part of things felt good, it plowed through the rough stuff much better, and felt more comfortable on the steeps, but the BB was just too high. I wasn't comfortable cornering with the BB height, so I lowered the fork to 160mm and rode that for a bit. Now, Ready to Ride Cycles has their offset reducer cups available, and I'm thinking about dropping the -1.5 degree Socom cups in there. The headtube length is plenty close enough to work, but I'm wondering what you lot think about the geo changes I would get out of it. See the chart below.

Also, I've recently tried running the fork at 140mm to lower it even more for more jumpy/ trail riding sort of stuff. The lower BB is cool, but it's too steep for any serious descending. I'm thinking that with the offset cups, I could run the fork at 140 for AM sort of stuff, and at 160, maybe even 180 to DH on.

I'm open to any thoughts anyone has. I know I'm sort of trying to make my BR into something it's not, but I realistically can't afford a new frame, and I don't want to give up my ability to do some AM sort of rides, so this seems like it might be a much cheaper alternative.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The 160mm -1.5deg option looks very nice but you are the one who has to feel comfy on the bike. Get the reducers and then play around with the fork to get it right where you want it the most.

BTW. I know it's not trendy to say on a dh forum but if you feel that your front is to low on the steeps maybe just rise the bars a bit? (higher bars/spacers/trashed beer cans)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks.

I've messed with bar height a bit. Raising them does the same sort of thing that the 180 fork did- better on steeps, but it hindered cornering. I'm hoping the slacker cups will let me have my cake and eat it too, so to speak.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If it were me, I'd do a 150-160mm fork with the slack cups and a low bar height. Low, slack, and fast!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If it were me, I'd do a 150-160mm fork with the slack cups and a low bar height. Low, slack, and fast!
Yeah, I'm thinking something along those lines sounds pretty solid. I can set the fork to wherever I want, it's just a matter of making a spacer in the right length.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just pulled the trigger on the cups. I'll post up with my impressions once I've got 'em.