Quantcast

Bike insurance

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
Im looking to insure my bike throuh a independant insurance(its under the house insurance at the monemt does anyone have any opinions on whether its worth it, or how much it costs any help would be greatly appreciated.

jason

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Why not keep it under homeowner's insurance?

I checked with our renter's insurance place before we got insurance, gave them the value of my bike, and they said it was no problem.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Not sure it'd be worth it or even available. Just make sure your renter's or home owner's policy has it covered under "Replacement Value" and not "Actual Value". It costs a little more for that coverage but worth it.
I was told that the Spain and Norway air routes are notorious for "lost" bags so I triple checked with my agent and it is covered without an extra rider. I made sure to tell him the true replacement value too.
He suggested taking photos/video of it in the box/case it's packed in for travel and photos in general to document it should the unthinkable happen.
What I don't really understand is why they want an extra rider for a silly little ~$3K diamond ring but not for ~$20K worth of bikes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I noticed that, Qman. My girlfriend has a bunch of jewelry that they wanted a rider for, but my bike stuff, which totals out at probably similar to what her jewelry is worth, she just shrugged and said it was fine and it was all covered.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My renters insurance through USAA is replacement value on everything by default. I think you can get actual value, but I only pay something like $15 a month for $50k or so of coverage anyway, so I don't see why anyone would do that.

Man, I don't even know how much coverage I have now, they bump it up for free every year that I don't have a claim, but it started at $35k a few years ago. Guess i should look. :D

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
binary visions said:
I noticed that, Qman. My girlfriend has a bunch of jewelry that they wanted a rider for, but my bike stuff, which totals out at probably similar to what her jewelry is worth, she just shrugged and said it was fine and it was all covered.
yup. That and the jewelry is practically irreplaceable not to mention dealing with the emotional breakdown of the jewelry's owner....
If I walked into my LBS with an insurance check, I'd have a new bike within 48 hours. Go figure.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Jason in the UK you don't have many options. Householder's is good if you (or more likely your parents) have a good general policy.

However you should seriously explicitly check what it covers. Call them up and have a chat to get some straight answers. Is it new for old? Does it cover damage? Does it cover theft away from your home?
It might not cover some things you want it to, such as theft away from the house.

Aside from that there is a company who regularly put flyers in MBUK who do really good ceverage, but it costs 10% of the value of the bike per year. Ouch!

When I went to Uni I basically had to use that cover. It is very good cover though, even has accidental damage and damage whilst riding. For example if you had a nice set of cranks or forks and broke them whilst riding it would be covered and it'd be worth the excess to claim on them. The only thing you need is to buy a big ass lock of their list of approved locks.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Some auto companies will also covor your bikes as an extension of your covereage, mine costs me about 10 buck a month more, covors the bike in case of collision damage, falling off rack, etc...