Quantcast

bike lanes

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I grew up in Eugene OR and almost every mayor road seems to have them. Then I moved to Portland, OR and they are very few and far between, but the roads are wide and fairly safe. If they added a few more in Portland, it could be a very bike friendly city.

Seattle on the other hand, has almost none. Plus the roads are generally very narrow, don't always align properly in intersections, merge is strange ways and they drivers either don't pay attention and/or are very aggressive. So even if bike lanes were plentiful here I would still fear for my safety on the streets.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
I live in Ashland Oregon, and while there are bicycle lanes and paths aplenty here, just 10 miles north in Medford there are pretty much none. So I'm definitely for them. Funny that you said Portland could be better Tenchiro, because Portland got some Gold Level bicycle friendly community award in 2003 or something I heard. . .I dunno exactly what criteria they take into account, but I would assume bike lanes play a big part in the award? I dunno.

Anyhoo, I'm for bike lanes, they put me more at ease.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Bike lanes are nice, although I prefer full blown bike paths or super wide sidewalks on busy streets. It's just easier to ride bike paths and not worry about stupid people driving, although you can't haul ass on a bike path like you can streets. If the street is not as busy bike lanes are perfect. So, bring 'em on!! Especially along the route that I commute to work. ;)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I hate bike paths because there are too many noncyclists in the way, just looking to get run over. Bike lanes on the other hand, generally rock. San Diego had a billion of them, here in Bend they usually either have them, or you are going the same speed as cars and don't need them, or you are out in the country and there isn't any traffic. I think every city could benefit from more bike lanes.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Depends on how it’s defined and maintained. Most of the ‘lanes’ in my neighborhood are just a 1 ½ or 2 feet of the far right hand lane and therefore just the receptacle for broken beer bottles and various debris. I don’t use them I just ride in the street but close to the bike lane line.
When I was in Germany I saw whole other roads for bicyclist. That was cool.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Muuqi said:
Funny that you said Portland could be better Tenchiro, because Portland got some Gold Level bicycle friendly community award in 2003 or something I heard. . .I dunno exactly what criteria they take into account, but I would assume bike lanes play a big part in the award?
I noticed that alot of them simply stop, while other roads that would be perfect for a bike lane just don't have them. There are eve some roads that should't have them that do.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Forget bike lanes. I am riding in the middle of the road, and cars can just back up behind me.

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
I agree with Heidi. Paths are aweful. Too many clueless users. Peds and bikers. I feel safer with cars along side when the difference of speed is maybe 5-10 mph rather than a ped where it is easily 20mph. Lanes are great, but you need a very wide road to start with, assuming that there is parking along the side.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Supposedly NY has a bunch of designated bike routes, but many of these run along the busiest highways where the speed limit is 55 at times. I don't think I've ever ridden in a bike lane because none exist so I don't know what my stance is. I know that riding in the shoulder can be pretty rough. It's basically a large recepticle for broken glass, litter and stiff critters.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
bluebug32 said:
Supposedly NY has a bunch of designated bike routes, but many of these run along the busiest highways where the speed limit is 55 at times. I don't think I've ever ridden in a bike lane because none exist so I don't know what my stance is. I know that riding in the shoulder can be pretty rough. It's basically a large recepticle for broken glass, litter and stiff critters.
Well, there is a bike route along the West Side Highway. Totally away from cars, it is a safe way to ride uptown.

Some of the other bike lanes, like the one on 6th Avenue, are death traps. Taxis and trucks totally ignore them, and just below Times Square where Broadway intersects, cars will merge left over that bike lane at full speed.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
sanjuro said:
Well, there is a bike route along the West Side Highway. Totally away from cars, it is a safe way to ride uptown.

Some of the other bike lanes, like the one on 6th Avenue, are death traps. Taxis and trucks totally ignore them, and just below Times Square where Broadway intersects, cars will merge left over that bike lane at full speed.
We're talking out of the city. People who ride in the city are either insane or have balls the size of canteloupes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I raced in NYC, and I have ridden to Saratoga from NY.

9W is the route to take out of the city, and it a decent ride from GWB. I tried riding through Westchester into the Hudson Valley, and there are too many SUV's on roads built for horse carriages 250 years ago.

I used do the Gimbels ride, which leaves from the Cross County Mall. Talk about blocking the road, there was 200 angry New York Roadies taking two lanes up Central Ave in Yonkers. Girlwhoboards would be in tears if she was driving behind that crowd.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
The Toninator said:
Depends on how it’s defined and maintained. Most of the ‘lanes’ in my neighborhood are just a 1 ½ or 2 feet of the far right hand lane and therefore just the receptacle for broken beer bottles and various debris. I don’t use them I just ride in the street but close to the bike lane line.
Exactly! Same thing here in Phoenix.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Yep, same here in Tucson for the most part. Although some of the bigger roads have a bike/bus lane. It's nice to have an entire lane to yourself, and the buses always move over and pass you in the regular traffic lanes. Pretty sweet.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
We need more, but they also need to be more obvious to the motorists. Around here, drivers tend to look at them as turning lanes. The lanes are painted on the street, but there should also be an occaisional road-sign denoting this as well.
I tend to ride on the paint when conditions allow...it's so much faster and smoother.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The Toninator said:
When I was in Germany I saw whole other roads for bicyclist. That was cool.
I have had pretty much the same experience - the bike lanes are where most of the road debris ends up. Total waste of time unless the street sweeper has made recent pass.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Someone had mistaken bike lanes and bike paths. Lanes are on actual roads, while paths are segregated from car traffic.

I am in favor of both, but lanes also have to have the respect of the community. Otherwise, cars will drive in them and deposit their bottles on them.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
sanjuro said:
Well, I raced in NYC, and I have ridden to Saratoga from NY.

9W is the route to take out of the city, and it a decent ride from GWB. I tried riding through Westchester into the Hudson Valley, and there are too many SUV's on roads built for horse carriages 250 years ago.
I live about 5 minutes off of 9W. I don't like riding on the larger roads. I prefer to ride on the backroads near my house where the speed limit is 25-30 and there aren't many cars or even a yellow line in some cases. And I've never ridden in Westchester...I don't even like visiting there much less riding down!

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
robdamanii said:
People who ride in the city are either insane or have balls the size of canteloupes.
Hence the reason I am leaning towards liking actual bike paths. I love bike lanes because you can haul ass compared to bike paths with pedestrian traffic. But, on super busy road it's just easier to stick to the paths, and most of the time those paths by busy roads don't have much if any ped traffic.