Quantcast

bike lanes

Do you like bike lanes?

• No, hate 'em, get rid of 'em!

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Love 'em, wish they were all over the place!

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Is that some sort of single track?

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I just re-read the laws here and I supposedly 'have' to use them when available.

Since they're not maintained, I'd rather we didn't have them at all.

Do you have and use them?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
we have them around here , but they are generally full of crap so i just ride in the road
I do the same, but it appears that a cop can 'tell' me to get in the bike lane.

Do I have any recourse if he tries to ticket me by saying that the law allows me to ride as far from the edge of the road as reasonably necessary?

It's the "reasonable" part that I want to manipulate cuz I think it's unreasonable to ask skinny tires to ride over glass. But can the cop define reasonable in his own way?

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
okay if i answered the poll and comment even though i don't have a road bike? (if not, please skip this post and remove a vote from #3)

i chose option 3 because i have mixed feelings about them depending on where they are, how they're maintained (if at all) and the auto factor that still plays a roll. they were fairly useless in NYC because people would still drive/park/take a dump in them. but they were helpful in creating a little extra space at times. the few i've seen here in SLC seem okay but i haven't used them enough to really say yay or nay.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I didn't know you moved to SLC. Congrats on getting off the east coast :)

Yeah, the maintenance issue is really the deciding factor.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I recently moved to Tumwater, WA and have found it to be the most bike friendly place I have ever lived in. Lots of clean, well maintained bike lanes and signs that say Share the Road and picture a road bike. I find that I am more likely to ride my bike for short errands living here than anywhere else. :)

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
I recently moved to Tumwater, WA and have found it to be the most bike friendly place I have ever lived in. Lots of clean, well maintained bike lanes and signs that say Share the Road and picture a road bike. I find that I am more likely to ride my bike for short errands living here than anywhere else. :)
tumwater, fun name for a town. cool about the bike friendliness too. washington state has many towns like that, doesn't it?

i wonder what the most bike-friendly metropolis in the US is. anyone know?

i think i prefer dodging cars, peds and poo in a bike lane than trying to avoid an onslaught of broken glass. and if i were on skinnies i'd be pretty yioinked about a law that forced me to endure a flat (or five) every time out.

sometimes i wish local governments would be fined for not being bike friendly. including cleaning up the glass, making sure there's smooth pavement and ticketing drivers and litterers who violate the space.

lord opie, thank you! i'm grateful every single day and could care less about 3.2 beer.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
so which "Beer" is Tumwater famous for

ah yes that beer drinkers delight Olympia Beer lol

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I just re-read the laws here and I supposedly 'have' to use them when available.

Since they're not maintained, I'd rather we didn't have them at all.

Do you have and use them?
I agree, If they kept them clean and Maintained i would use them, but since they usually build up with a bunch of crap, i ride outside of them. Not to mention its usually about the roughest section of the road