Quantcast

Bike Locks. Need help

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hi commuter monkies. Ive decided to get a road bike for commuting and though it will be cheap I also plan to ride my dj bike 2-3 times/ week around the city so I can put some pump track and dirt sessions after work/school.

That means I need a bike lock and a really sturdy at that since my dj bike looks like a christmass tree. I have no problems with chains since I will probably be using a backpack/messenger bag anyway. Ive read a bit about ART1 and sold secure standards but I cant really find the hardest locks (or ART1 site for that matter) to break. What products do you suggest?

Im leaning a bit towards a chain since it will be easier to mount the bike.

My first pick is :
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1002&pid=1242
and
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1002&pid=1168

Can any1 explain me the 30$ differance on ebay? I wont get insurance based on the lock quality anyway but they both are rated at 12 on kryptonite rating

Any other locks I should look into? No I wont get a motorcycle lock. Their weight is a bit too hardcore for me.

I guess you already know, but the "toughness" of a lock just gives you an idea of the minutes it's gonna take to bust. Cheap ones might fail at the lock or links in a few seconds; most expensive ones will last less than 5min with power tools (which is a lot, BTW).

IMHO, any of those chains should be good enough. Kryptonite has great stuff and customer service; if you want stronger locks, you should aim at bike or storage chains (= more weight & $$$). Couple that with a strong U-lock, and you've probably the best lock combo.

But then again, the safest lock is showing the bike as little as possible, and having it with you. Not just "in sight", but by your side. If you can, leave it inside your building; if that's not an option, negotiate with a nearby store/workshop to keep it there (locked), where it's seen all times. If that's not possible either, park it in front of a business (bars, restaurants, gyms, etc.) where it's seen constantly. And try to change the parking spot every once in a while... Also, I've heard more than one story about thieves stealing bikes from the balcony of a 1st floor; don't think it's safe, because ladders are cheap. Just a few tips...

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I know only of 2 places where it will be stored outside and it will be in hearing radius from me in a busy place but I still want to be safe. What interested me in kryptonite chains is this wired review:
http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/01/pr_reviews_biketools_lock/

They claim it takes 15min + for one part of a chain link and that is with a power tool. I know it is wired and it is probably a bit of an overstatement but still got me interested.

As for moto locks. I know of one we take with us every year to France since Morzine has a high bike theft rate and the guys from a local moto mag tried to cut it for a test and couldnt but it weights around the same as my dj bike so it is too heavy (not to mention it costs around the same as my dj bike)

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I have the NY chain, and the thing is HEAVY FYI. I wear it as a belt and holy hell do I notice it.

If you're on a road bike or something with skinny tires I would go with 2 of these

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1000&pid=1100

They will barely do a frame, rear wheel and pole, the other lock is for the front wheel to frame. That lock actually fits really well under your belt between your beltloops over your back pockets, they get hardly noticable

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I guess you already know, but the "toughness" of a lock just gives you an idea of the minutes it's gonna take to bust. Cheap ones might fail at the lock or links in a few seconds; most expensive ones will last less than 5min with power tools (which is a lot, BTW).

IMHO, any of those chains should be good enough. Kryptonite has great stuff and customer service; if you want stronger locks, you should aim at bike or storage chains (= more weight & $$$). Couple that with a strong U-lock, and you've probably the best lock combo.

But then again, the safest lock is showing the bike as little as possible, and having it with you. Not just "in sight", but by your side. If you can, leave it inside your building; if that's not an option, negotiate with a nearby store/workshop to keep it there (locked), where it's seen all times. If that's not possible either, park it in front of a business (bars, restaurants, gyms, etc.) where it's seen constantly. And try to change the parking spot every once in a while... Also, I've heard more than one story about thieves stealing bikes from the balcony of a 1st floor; don't think it's safe, because ladders are cheap. Just a few tips...
^^^ this...

Doesn't kryptonite have a guarantee about your stuff getting stolen while locked up with their locks?

I'm an auto mechanic/ auto collision technician, and I can safely say, it'll take me less than 2 min to bust just about any steel or hardened steel lock/chain/ulocks included if I'm prepared. I'm not gonna post how to do it though.

Your best bet to keep your stuff is what C101 posted in his last paragraph.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I have the NY chain, and the thing is HEAVY FYI. I wear it as a belt and holy hell do I notice it.

If you're on a road bike or something with skinny tires I would go with 2 of these

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1000&pid=1100

What about this:
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1000&pid=1097

They will barely do a frame, rear wheel and pole, the other lock is for the front wheel to frame. That lock actually fits really well under your belt between your beltloops over your back pockets, they get hardly noticable
I dont really care about the road bike since I will probably buy something old for 200-250$ and I have something for the front wheel. Im a bit more worried about my dj bike. It is a cheap build but thats mostly due to my friends, magazine, old job at dartmoor bikes and rebuilding it would end up costing me around 1k$

That is why I dont want to go easy on locks.

Also from what I read the NY Legend is 3.8kg. Maybe the older ones are heavier? 3.8 doesnt seem like much but I may be thinking with gym weights not do a 50km a day weights.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I dont really care about the road bike since I will probably buy something old for 200-250$ and I have something for the front wheel. Im a bit more worried about my dj bike. It is a cheap build but thats mostly due to my friends, magazine, old job at dartmoor bikes and rebuilding it would end up costing me around 1k$

That is why I dont want to go easy on locks.

Also from what I read the NY Legend is 3.8kg. Maybe the older ones are heavier? 3.8 doesnt seem like much but I may be thinking with gym weights not do a 50km a day weights.
Go with the chain as mush as a pain as it is. I don't think so, it's not like it's heavy to pick up, it's that you end up wearing an 8lb belt around, and the links in the chain make it less than comfy. It gets heavy to carry as a lock for any period of time

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think I will go with a U-Lock after seeing that. Easier to tension it so it wont be sitting on the floor and give less leverage.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
cheap bike, expensive lock. locks just make criminals think about it. make the payoff not worth their time and risk. can't make your rig theft-proof, but you can make crooks think about going elsewhere for loot.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
And what about the New York Ulocks? the only rate one notch lower than the top chains.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1000&pid=1097

As for the chain. If I go for a biggish messenger bag (what is your opinion on full size messenger bags?) then unless Im carrying a laptop around I can easily put it inside.
Those are cool too. They key with U locks is not having to much extra lock, the main way from what I have been told (from a bunch of bike messengers) that a U lock get's broken into is with a jack from the inside, they literally pop the thing open with it. So if you can, you want to have your U lock on the tighter side of fitting correctly (although I've never heard of anyone actually having a jack blow apart a U lock personally)

I have a big messenger bag, they are less than comfy with a bunch weight in them, even when I do have my bag with me when I am using my chain it still goes around my waste. Honestly if you're carrying allot of weight go with a pack, the big thing about the messenger bags is how quickly you can get the thing off and empty. If that isn't a concern then a backpack will be far more comfortable

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I know it sounds silly but I just hate the looks of bagpacks and since it will be my go around the city bag I will probably go with a messenger bag. Nvm. I will probably post a separate topic about it when the time and cash comes. Right now I need an u lock.

For the tight stuff. How the hell can I know if it will be too tight or not? I will be probably be connecting my bike to many different things.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
For the tight stuff. How the hell can I know if it will be too tight or not? I will be probably be connecting my bike to many different things.

I always took my front wheel off and then put the lock thru the front tire, then the rear tire above the chainstay then around the pole/bike rack.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Go with the chain as mush as a pain as it is. I don't think so, it's not like it's heavy to pick up, it's that you end up wearing an 8lb belt around, and the links in the chain make it less than comfy. It gets heavy to carry as a lock for any period of time
Do you have a weight on this lock? I hate that their site doesn't list weights. I am looking for something for my commuter and my nice road bike when I stop somewhere for a few minutes and can't bring it inside, (like I usually do).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Rufus I have found some unnoficial weights. New york Legend 1m chain is 3.8kg. On guard top of the line chain (similar length) is 4.4kg.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have always been a fan of a thick, histrand cable over a chain. A chain or cable can be cut with bolt cutters, but a cable isnt getting cut with a hack saw and a cable is tougher to cut with bolt cutters than a chain is. I go after what will slow down a theif the most. Good Ulock, and a thick hi strand cable. I mean hell the video posted showed a qulity chain being ripped apart by a large pair of bolt cutters, hacksaw would rip through that chain pretty quick too....

Bottom line is, if they want it, they are going to get it.... so like Mandown said, cheap bike expensive lock... Make the risk/reward balance ****ty for them, they will take someone elses bike instead.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Just did this yesterday morning at home:

It is a thinner cable than I would prefer, but if you are in the garage, you have plenty of time to get through a cable, this will stop 99.9% of the thieves, but the remaining .1% are gonna get your bike regardless.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
My wife and I are pretty big fans of the Mini-5 U-lock. You can get creative about how to lock your bike up if you're primarily just worried about the frame as opposed to trying to get the wheels as well, but it definitely depends on what rack you're going to be locking it to. We primarily use it in high-traffic areas where a thief would be noticed if he were trying to strip a bike of the parts (and let's face it, a knowledgeable thief with a multi-tool could strip a bike of most of the parts in ~3 min), and we also have bolt-on hubs but at the end of the day, the advice on "expensive lock, cheap bike" is pretty much what to go by. I'd also stipulate that your bike should never be the least-secured bike on the rack, either...

Optimal bike rack allowing the Mini-5 to secure both the frame and front wheel:

Two bikes locked up with one Mini-5:

edit: By the way, buy the smallest U-lock that fits your needs. Both the Evolution and NYC U-locks come in different sizes, so basically you can buy whichever fits your needs the best. The Mini-5 is the smallest and works well with small-diameter tubing and road wheels, but the bigger ones might be necessary for mountain bike tires/large diameter tubing. I'd suggest finding a cheap singlespeed with road wheels/tires if your commute allows for it (ie, less than 15 miles and relatively flat), as you won't have to worry about having someone steal a more expensive road bike. Your other option is older (1970s/1980s) road bikes with downtube shifters which will roll just as fast but give you a bit more leeway in hills and are still pretty damn cheap, at least around here.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
We have very few dedicated bike racks in Poland. Mostly lamposts, railings etc.

I will look into Abus. Right now I'm thinking Krypto New York U Lock and Blackburn U Lock

gonefirefightin

free wieners
If you look on youtube there are hundreds of lockpicking videos. People do that as a hobby just like people do computer hacking for fun.
I worked for a locksmith when in college and have kept up on the craft ever since and keeping with the technology. the device he was using is called a barrel tumbler. it is usually used as a last resort when other rakes and picks dont work. it is one of the few picks that can also hold a security pin back. in my experience using them it is at least a 5 minute workout since one little twitch will start you all over again (even shown in the video)

Thieves usually don't have the money nor the education or the patience and time to use these advanced devices and opt for the cheaper and more hasty methods. most of the u locks I have seen vandalized to steal bikes we either drilled or cut with a sawzall.

out of all the consumer locks ever made, bike locks are the hardest to pick