Quantcast

Bike maintenence help

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Hi.

My rear brake disc (Tektro IO Mechanical Disc Brakes btw, 160mm if it matters) keeps coming loose and I don't have the right type of driver for the bolts. Closest I have is this hex wrench that kinda sorta gets the job done for like a day or two until the disc comes loose.

Apparently it's been like this for a while because I remember dealing with this at least a month ago. Was rotating tread on my bike (I'm too poor to buy new tread right now) and I noted this.

Anywho, what the hell is the driver needed for this bolt? Looks like a Torx head but I've already tried the two Torx bits I have to no avail (they were too small).

OR

Recommend me a good front/back hydraulic brake system for $100-150 that has 160mm rotors or converters to run larger rotors. I've had so many problems with the Tektro IO system that I don't want to get them replaced under warranty, and I can save up about $150 to get new brakes in a reasonable timeframe. Hydraulic because, well, if I'm going to spend money I may as well upgrade. =/

Thanks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I guess it wasn't clear that I am asking what, exactly, this type of bit is. What kind of torx is it. I'm pretty sure I have a 15 and a 20 right now and neither fit.
And, of course, it is T25!

When I first got a disc brake bike, I went out and bought one of those pocket knife style of all the smaller torx sizes, including T25.

While you will only need T25, Avid brakes use other sizes (T10) for their bleed screws. Never know when that might be handy.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
And, of course, it is T25!

When I first got a disc brake bike, I went out and bought one of those pocket knife style of all the smaller torx sizes, including T25.

While you will only need T25, Avid brakes use other sizes (T10) for their bleed screws. Never know when that might be handy.
Thank you. +rep'd for being helpful.

I think when I'm at the bike shop tomorrow looking at their price for a T25 (I will probably end up getting it from Lowes though), I'll see about putting in an application so I can get a job and eventually buy myself a new bike so I don't have to deal with this thing. =/

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
You could pick up replacement allen bolts at a hardware store.

Also get a small bottle of blue Locktite. It comes in a reddish bottle but will say blue. Locktite will help keep the bolts from backing out.

I build robots (mostly gearboxes tbh) and I am painfully familiar with Loctite blue. It tastes like carrots, you know. At least before the burning, anyways.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
My wife had the same brakes that you have on your bike - I really wasn't impressed with them.

I had a set of Avid BB5's and was highly impressed with them (hear that the BB7's are a touch better). Should be able to easily get them off eBay in your price range.

Just food for thought...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I build robots (mostly gearboxes tbh) and I am painfully familiar with Loctite blue. It tastes like carrots, you know. At least before the burning, anyways.
It's for the threads on your rotor bolts not your vegetables.

But good for you trying to learn the way of the salad.

That would be much mo funny if Wolfgang Puck was saying it.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
It's for the threads on your rotor bolts not your vegetables.

But good for you trying to learn the way of the salad.

That would be much mo funny if Wolfgang Puck was saying it.

haha.

the story behind it:

late one night into building robots (about 10hrs into this particular day, it was about midnight/1am) I had remembered a discussion between some of my superiors about how loctite tastes. I figured I would give it a little try as I was using it to lock down some chassis bolts. A little got on my finger, I tasted it, and voila, it tasted like carrots!

And then it burned and felt like it had somehow coated the entire inside of my mouth.

I washed out my mouth with some soda (that I spat out, not drank) and it took care of it.

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
I guess it wasn't clear that I am asking what, exactly, this type of bit is. What kind of torx is it. I'm pretty sure I have a 15 and a 20 right now and neither fit.
I can't stand Torx stuff, I always ruin the driver. I replaced all my rotor fasteners with Allen screws. I believe they are an American thread because I use a 1/8" Allen wrench on em. I can give you the exact thread # tomorrow.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
I can't stand Torx stuff, I always ruin the driver. I replaced all my rotor fasteners with Allen screws. I believe they are an American thread because I use a 1/8" Allen wrench on em. I can give you the exact thread # tomorrow.
I love Torx, though.

And I could always find the thread count tomorrow when I go to the hardware store... it's not like I am leaving my bike rotor screws at home. They kinda come on the bike. :twitch:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Recommend me a good front/back hydraulic brake system for $100-150 that has 160mm rotors or converters to run larger rotors. I've had so many problems with the Tektro IO system that I don't want to get them replaced under warranty, and I can save up about $150 to get new brakes in a reasonable timeframe. Hydraulic because, well, if I'm going to spend money I may as well upgrade. =/

Thanks.

If that was my price range, I would go with these.