Quantcast

Bike manufacturer suggestions?

Sep 30, 2006
TYR
I've decided that doing the mountain bike thing is the way to go for me. I'm short and well built, so jogging and I don't get along. I've done some preliminary research and decided on a hard-tail bike in the $500 range. The trails around here aren't rough enough to warrant a full suspension bike and I'm just a rook anyways. I've been riding a crappy Wally World bike just to make sure I enjoy riding before I make the leap into the real stuff. My only problem is finding out which manufacturers are good "bang-for-the-buck" makers, which are high-end makers, and who to stay away from. I know opinions are a dime a dozen, but I figure most of you know what you're talking about. Thanks!

-noob

Aug 31, 2006
Buy from a real bike shop. And I can't think of any manufacturer that is sold in a real bike shop that you should avoid. Pretty much every bike at specific price points are too similar to worry about finding a bike that's a noticeably better value.

So, buy a bike that appeals to you visually and buy from a good shop -- one that will fit the bike to you, maybe give you some freebies, certainly take the time to educate you.

In other words, don't shop for a bike, shop for a shop.

Have fun!

Sep 30, 2006
TYR
Are there any special considerations I should make when looking for a bike, taking into account my build? I'm 5'6" and about 220 lbs. I guess the shop will lead me in the right direction? Most places just push you towards the biggest, baddest, and most expensive model.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
For a heavier shorter rider, i would look at the giant stp. It's lighter than a p bike and less fr oriented, but It's the closest thing to a do everything bike I've ever come across, and you certainly wont break it unless you huck to flat all the time. The top of the line model can be had used for your price range, but I believe they still make a stripped down model that you could afford new.

bneall

Monkey
Aug 23, 2006
Culver City
haha konabumm, keep up the good fight :)

but yea Giants are great, and Kona too. Not a huge fan of Specialized, but its all preference, everything from these guys in the $500 range is mostly spec'ed out very similiar.

I'd recommend kona, but the 500 range is a tough nut to crack, i ended up paying 600 for my entry level kona, and the 800 range is tempting with better parts. anything under 500 isnt worth your time basically, good luck shoppin.