Quantcast

Bike mechanics

J

JRB

I personally see a few things you will never use. If I have a chance, I may see if they have some other sets that will build a more usable kit.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I know nothing of the brand and am always very wary of cheap tools.

Not to say it might not be good, just pointing out that cheap tools are a sure way to wreck your bike parts and your body.

These sets are great if you don't want to come up with a real list of the things you will need, or will be wrenching on a lot of different bikes. However, tool sets in general usually end up coming with items you don't need or don't want. For instance, you're getting a BB tool for Shimano Hollowtech, a BB tool for Truvativ and a standard BB tool. Do you really need all three? Do you not have your own open end wrenches? Do you need three types of spoke wrenches? Do you need a headset wrench? What about the gear and chain scrubbers? Do you have cup-and-cone hubs, for the cone wrenches?

You might do better to really sit down and look at what tools you actually need, then buy those - at that point, you can decide to go with an off brand or Pedros/Park tools.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
THanks for the replys, I won't be doing anything heavy duty with them, just occasional stuff and mostly on my commuter.. Ill look into park tools.

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
Yea, try to squeeze that into your day...

Buy it BAH.
It'll be tough, posting in every thread and all, but I will see. I just don't use a bunch of that stuff.

Maybe I'll just list what I use most.

Tri - hex wrench
T handle wrench set
phillips screwdriver
flat screwdriver
cable cutters
cone wrenches
pedal wrench
bb tool
crank puller

Now that I think of it, that kit would be fine. Check on performance and nashbar too.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
cool-same price, what do you like about this one more? it does look a little more "professional" to my untrained eye..

J

JRB

BAH said:
cool-same price, what do you like about this one more? it does look a little more "professional" to my untrained eye..
I like the t handle hex wrenches and the star nut tool. The spoke wrench sucks, but I would just get a spokey or a park anyway. Those spoke rulers are cool too. I have several tools that are not park that are fine. I really would go for that one. The Sette stuff looks decent, but the mix is not as good, imo.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
exactly how much "reputation" does one need to spread before giving somebody it again?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'd rather have a few solid tools than a whole bunch of cheap tools. While I don't know much about Sette stuff, the little I have heard about them is not good. I believe a "steaming pile of sette", if I'm not mistaken.

Start off with hex keys and cable cutters, then add stuff as you need it.

Most weekend wrenches should be fine with a good set of hex keys (I like the t-handle ball ends from pedros, but craftsman hex keys are more than fine), cable cutters, bb tool, crank pullers, and chain whip/cassette tool. I'm guessing you already have decent screwdrivers.

You can't go wrong with Pedros or Park anything when it comes to tools.