Quantcast

Bike Park in Hendersonville, NC breaking ground Tuesday???

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Facebook post I spotted:

Drew Refshauge
3 hours ago via mobile
Bike park in Jackson Park, hendersonville is a go! Breaking ground on Tuesday. We have a badass builder coming in from highland mountain bike park to build and make it legit. Dirt jumps. Pump track and skills area. We need 1800 feet of silt fence to get going. Can anyone help? Pass the word on.
Anybody wanna fill us in? Came out of left field.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
No doubt man. Always better off having pro builders that are actually gonna stick around and ride it for years after it is built.
No worries. If they're building quality stuff it's good for everyone. Now if BS gets built...that's not good for riders, other builders, or other municipalities considering doing similar projects. Devalues all of our work. I'm sure if the builder is really from Highland it will be great though. Best park I've seen in person.

My location couldn't be better considering gateway park in Travelers Rest and this project in Hendo are going on right now...I'm smack dab in the middle. Now I just need to make some time to actually hang out and ride here instead of living the life of a dirt gypsy.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Not to fuel any of the rumors, but we did run into some guys that work at or are from Highland in the Black Mtn parking lot when we were at Pisgah yesterday shooting the Shaws. DeLorme knew who they were, but I don't know who it was. Maybe that's why there were down in the area? Maybe not.

I also heard another bike park rumor yesterday that involves a WC rider, but I can't imagine where they were talking about. I'll try to find out more.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Not like there's anyone local that could help with that :rolleyes:

Hope it's cool.
I wish I had money to hire you guys. We have around 70,000 acres that should have trails all over it. BTW, the WRXC is a full loop now. No more killing yourself to climb/push up the DH.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I wish I had money to hire you guys. We have around 70,000 acres that should have trails all over it. BTW, the WRXC is a full loop now. No more killing yourself to climb/push up the DH.
Sounds like a job for a good grant writer! I'm happy to see many projects popping up in our area.

I'll be coming to WR soon for some riding. I'll bring both bikes as always.

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
Sounds like a job for a good grant writer!
Good grant writers help. If ever I thought we would get a grant it was the one you and I talked about (the trails grant). When we sent that in we had over 2 dozen letters of support from the community, the grant work was done by a firm that has gotten me many grants in the past, we even had one of our state senators write a very nice letter of support, the public meetings were very well attended, and it still got shot down.

Yeah, all that helps, and you don't stand a chance without it, but one thing is a sure thing, nothing is a sure thing.

I did wind up getting 100k parks grant late last year that I never thought we had a snowballs chance in hell of. A portion of that will be spent at the location we looked at.

go figure

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
Someone translate anthat into Engrish?
Mulestar worked with me on a trails grant. I thought it was a lock. It got declined. I applied for another grant. Thought it was a waste of time. Got 100k.

what else can i help you with?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Mulestar worked with me on a trails grant. I thought it was a lock. It got declined. I applied for another grant. Thought it was a waste of time. Got 100k.

what else can i help you with?
Up to speed now. :thumb:
So, anybody think this weather is hampering progress a smidge....?

The FB page references a ton of needed materials and some pretty hefty sized equipment still as yet unobtained (word?). Seems like if they were breaking ground, that list would be much shorter. Fingers crossed.

NCBMXPRO

Monkey
Apr 22, 2005
Charlotte
I noticed that this was going where the old bmx track was. If I remember right, the dirt there was very loose. More like silt. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but hopefully it will compact and be great for the bike park. I cant wait to see what is coming!

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
Dirt thieves! :nope:
They are working on environmental study right now. But it seems from the sources I spoke with that yes it is a go just political paper work right now. Flood plain study and so on. Yadda Yadda Yadda Yadda.

So while this is in a holding pattern come check out Gateway in Travelers Rest. Things are taking shape and looking sweet.

Saturday from 9am to 1pm.

You build they will come.

http://upstatesorba.com/gateway-park-love-fest-3213/?fb_source=pubv1

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Licking my chops for a place 20 minutes form the house to get my girls even more hooked. Softball is getting so serious. Have I mentioned how hard it is to tell your kid "No" if they're really good at something?

jager

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
I went out there today to check it out and help out. They are pretty close to being ready to open. Here are a few pics I snapped on my phone. Pretty sweet pump track. There is also a smaller track for the childrens. Phase II will be adding a skills area and Phase III will be a rework of the trails in the park. All of the dirt came from the bmx track, they were not allowed to bring in any additional dirt.

Pump track:
hbp4.jpghbp2.jpghbp1.jpg

Jump Line (kids pump track on back right by the cars):
hbp3.jpg
return line | | adv line | int | beginner

Last edited: