Quantcast

Bike Park Road Trip

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
That looks incredible! Doing similar a few times this season - but from the other way (Ontario). Not sure on Sunday River, can't find many reviews or comments on SR.
Should be awesome!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
may want to add attitash in there too. I haven't been, but it's between SR and highland. Supposedly very east-coast DH trails. might be worth the stop since you'll be so close.

I'll second whiteface. Love that place.

I will un-second killington though. Some people love it, but the time I went there was extremely disappointing compared to the big three of east coast dh. Maybe there are super-secret DH trails, but I rode everything on the map just about. I'd swing by if you have the time, but I would leave it off if it means sacrificing plattekill, diablo, whiteface, bromont, or highland. Hell, I'd probably rather go to burke mountain and ride their one jump line all day vs. killington....but that's just me.

eastcoastDH

Chimp
Apr 8, 2011
noVA
yeah, i definitely wont sacrifice Plattekill, diablo, whiteface, bromont or highland, cause bromont and highland are the main reasons for the trip and i love Diablo. Ill only stop by killington/sunday river if i have the time, but they are pretty low on the priority list.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I went to Sunday River a year or two ago and hated it. Granted there was a light drizzle and everything was wet but it just seemed like everytime I got my speed going there would be a 90* uphill turn that would destroy any kind of flow that I had going. They had a couple trails that were fun but not fun enough that I would ever go back.

Attitash, on the other hand, I found to be very fun. Has some steep stuff and was mostly all natural features (2-3 yrs ago)...reminded me more of the Colorado old school stuff than the super tight east coast single track.

Highland is my home hill and, while it is small, I always have fun there.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
FYI... Plattekill is in Roxbury, NY. Not Plattekill, NY.

Sounds like a fun trip. Make sure you plan it around the mountains summer schedules so they are open during the week. I know Diablo/Highland are open during the week at some point, not sure about the others.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
If you are into what I call 'old school' DH, meaning just plan long hard cahllenging runs, I highly recommend Whiteface.
When I was there a few years ago - they had some manmade/wood stuff, but it fit nicely into the terrain and riding style. Maybe they have added some more, but I am sure it still is more 'old school' than ramps and stunts wood DH stuff...
I still vividly remember riding the Gondola - up through the clouds, looking up and watching the gondola in front disappear into the clouds, and one coming the other way just 'materializing' out of the mist and clouds! So surreal and incredible! I am an old guy - but get giddy and tingly thinking about the 'Jurassic Park' feeling I got there!!
I would ride down a bit, stop and video the rest as they came through the clouds, gaining definition as they approached, then ghosting away into the clouds and mist!!
Love Whiteface - planning two trips (part of a multi stop or maybe solo), maybe three if I do 5K DH race in September.

eastcoastDH

Chimp
Apr 8, 2011
noVA
If you are into what I call 'old school' DH, meaning just plan long hard cahllenging runs, I highly recommend Whiteface.
When I was there a few years ago - they had some manmade/wood stuff, but it fit nicely into the terrain and riding style. Maybe they have added some more, but I am sure it still is more 'old school' than ramps and stunts wood DH stuff...
I still vividly remember riding the Gondola - up through the clouds, looking up and watching the gondola in front disappear into the clouds, and one coming the other way just 'materializing' out of the mist and clouds! So surreal and incredible! I am an old guy - but get giddy and tingly thinking about the 'Jurassic Park' feeling I got there!!
I would ride down a bit, stop and video the rest as they came through the clouds, gaining definition as they approached, then ghosting away into the clouds and mist!!
Love Whiteface - planning two trips (part of a multi stop or maybe solo), maybe three if I do 5K DH race in September.
Sounds awesome:thumb:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
The gondola ride up Whiteface is bloody ominous- always makes me tingle with fear and excitement. You could hit Killington either on the way up to Whiteface or back. If you are traveling up the New York 87 north, Killington is at exit 20 or 21 (then about 45 min-1 hr. east drive into VT). Whiteface is at exit 29 or 30 off of 87 N.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
i did similar trips in 2006 and 2008.

here are my ride reports:
5 NE resorts in 5 days - 2006

NE resort tour 2008

IMHO, HIGHLAND is definitely worth the long drive... a group of us in the NoVaDC area have been making the trek about 2 times each season for long 3 day weekends. you can definitely get your DH and DJ fix there swapping back and forth between bikes. just make sure to avoid any resorts during race/event weekends to avoid big crowds.

i've never been to attitash or sunday river and i wasn't too impressed with killington (too much fireroad). whiteface is a BIG mountain and definitely worth stopping by for a day (just wish they were able to build more trails). i honestly haven't spent a lot of time at plattekill, but the trails i rode there were a lot of fun (although slow lift). bromont isn't a big mountain but they had some fun trails and the water park next door was SUPER cheap to get in to clean off during a dirtbag bike tour!

have fun and i'm sure you'll have a great road trip :thumb:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
i did similar trips in 2006 and 2008.

here are my ride reports:
5 NE resorts in 5 days - 2006

NE resort tour 2008

IMHO, HIGHLAND is definitely worth the long drive... a group of us in the NoVaDC area have been making the trek about 2 times each season for long 3 day weekends. you can definitely get your DH and DJ fix there swapping back and forth between bikes. just make sure to avoid any resorts during race/event weekends to avoid big crowds.

i've never been to attitash or sunday river and i wasn't too impressed with killington (too much fireroad). whiteface is a BIG mountain and definitely worth stopping by for a day (just wish they were able to build more trails). i honestly haven't spent a lot of time at plattekill, but the trails i rode there were a lot of fun (although slow lift). bromont isn't a big mountain but they had some fun trails and the water park next door was SUPER cheap to get in to clean off during a dirtbag bike tour!

have fun and i'm sure you'll have a great road trip :thumb:
We have been allowed to build new trails. As we get more and more customers that is happening, as we put all the money back into the park. So come on up ad enjoy and see new stuff each visit!