Quantcast

Bike Parks is the WEST

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So we should compile a list of Resorts that allow biking in the west.

WEST

Whistler
Fernie
Panorama
Kicking Horse
Sun Peaks
North Star
Mammoth
Cypress
Silver Star

Can anyone add to the list?

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Mt Shasta Ski resort runs the lifts for mtbs and has some fun trails & a dual/mtx style area near the bottom. The terrain is rocky and loose, lots of 'moon dust'. The trails network isn't that big (3 or 4 dh runs) but worth the stop if you are near the area. They were closed last summer but I'm told they will be open to bikes again this year.

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Brian Head in Utah not only runs the lift but has a great shuttle service that has a half dozen sweet long trails, drops you off and picks you up at the end.

Though Bootleg isnt a ski resort, does offer a shuttle service.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Keystone, CO - pretty good, mostly high speed runs, but they've got a jump trail and ladder bridges

Vail, CO - they have some trails, but they still aren't very friendly to bikes compared to Whistler, etc.

Silverton, CO - Bender was the trail boss there till he broke his back, lots of big stuff, ladder bridges and what not.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
1soulrider said:
Mt Shasta Ski resort runs the lifts for mtbs and has some fun trails & a dual/mtx style area near the bottom. The terrain is rocky and loose, lots of 'moon dust'. The trails network isn't that big (3 or 4 dh runs) but worth the stop if you are near the area. They were closed last summer but I'm told they will be open to bikes again this year.

Hve you ridden the Gnar DH trail there? it's not part of the ski resort.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
chicodude said:
Hve you ridden the Gnar DH trail there? it's not part of the ski resort.
Are you talking about the trail that runs from up by the old ski park (as far up as you can dive on the mountain) down into the outskirts of the town of Shasta? I've heard it called 'The Entertainer', it is one of my favorite trails I've ridden. Theres just something about a trail that loses 6000' from top to bottom :drool:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
dlb said:
Brian Head in Utah not only runs the lift but has a great shuttle service that has a half dozen sweet long trails, drops you off and picks you up at the end.

Though Bootleg isnt a ski resort, does offer a shuttle service.
You have add Bootleg to that list--without a doubt. Brian Head and Deer Valley would also be a nice addition.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
1soulrider said:
Kanter, surprised you didn't mention Big Sky.
I would think it would be one of the closest resorts to you?
Opps forgot about that one. Not many trails but they are building.

Big Sky Resort in Montana

Schweitzer doesnt have many trails either

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If your counting shuttle runs, then Pioneer Bridle Trail needs to be added as well. It runs from the top of Poochie at Timberline Lodge all the way to Rhododendron. 19 miles total with about a 1 mile climb around half way.

I haven't ridden it in a few years, but it's a BLAST.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
big sky has tons of trails kanter. and whats awesome is they dont mind the pirate trail building going on 99% of the time.

ps the race course at big sky is one of the best i have ridden, too bad you can only ride it on race days

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Downieville has a bike shop that gives bikers shuttles to the top of their hour plus long downhill. Something to think about if you're at Northstar. There's also one other resort in Tahoe that lets bikes in and has trails but it's not close to Northstar in terms of quality and quantity.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
dexter said:
big sky has tons of trails kanter. and whats awesome is they dont mind the pirate trail building going on 99% of the time.

ps the race course at big sky is one of the best i have ridden, too bad you can only ride it on race days
Me, you, and HOW will have to hit it up this next year.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Winter Park in CO. they started last summer and have the goal to be the best bike resort in CO. in a few years.

Snowmass has very little, they say they are building more this year. Half the time the lift is free.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sunrise, AZ. There's a few guys that put in hard work and make some pretty nice trails.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
don't forget tamarack, idaho...holy crap...

viva mt. shasta! guys, don't tell anyone about shasta, it sucks anyways

that's to fool people into not going there so it doesn't get crowded, LOL

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Zutroy said:
There are some rumors starting to circulate in the Northstar my not run bike ops next summer.
Might be something different but those rumors float around almost every year, including earlier this year. Some season-pass holding monkies got vouchers for a couple days of riding in '06 because they closed a day or two early this year. You never know but I think it's looking good.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Deer Valley

Park City MR

Solitude

Sundance

Snowbird

Sundance and Snowbird only have XC, but Solitude has illegal DH if you can find it. PCMR and Deer both have sanctioned DH runs.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
dexter said:

Big Sky is definitely awesome. We rode/pushed to the race course a few times last year, I really wish the gondola took you to it.

Angel Fire is another one of my favorite places.

Telluride has some fun stuff to ride and the gondola is free.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
OGRipper said:
Might be something different but those rumors float around almost every year, including earlier this year. Some season-pass holding monkies got vouchers for a couple days of riding in '06 because they closed a day or two early this year. You never know but I think it's looking good.

Yeah, but these are floating around amoungst the area operaters themselves, not the usual riders. Time will tell, hope it is just the usual talk.

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
Kanter said:
Me, you, and HOW will have to hit it up this next year.

I can give you guys the low-down at Big Sky, as I ride there all the time in the summer. I know all the guys that build up there as well as almost everyone who rides there regularly. There's always more trails than they show on the map. Some of the more hard-core stunt trails are now legitimate trails on the mountain, so there are more trails in the works most of the time. They're starting to come around from a management perspective, but still a long way off from becoming a Whistler or Fernie. Rumor has it that there's going to be a 4-cross race on the snow this winter.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Just got back from Bootleg, it's definately a place to hit up if it's on your way somewhere. The trails are a little confusing though because so many intersect with eachother. I didn't take 1 ride that was the same twice. Loose and dusty but a fun none the less. The shuttle road isn't long either so you could do a boatload of runs if you had the driver. Plus Brent seems to be up there daily, and helped me out a bunch by pointing me to normal runs and not ones that I would have to walk everything on or die on.

We were in Vegas so we tried the Bootleg deal. It's about 20-30 minutes outside of Vegas but we got lost a little and it took about an hour to get there (from being lost).

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
1soulrider said:
Are you talking about the trail that runs from up by the old ski park (as far up as you can dive on the mountain) down into the outskirts of the town of Shasta? I've heard it called 'The Entertainer', it is one of my favorite trails I've ridden. Theres just something about a trail that loses 6000' from top to bottom :drool:

Yea. I never have been all the way up. We start in the middle area, that is still like 7 miles down Greastest trail ever. But it sucks. So never go.

Really. It sucks.