Quantcast

Bike Parks, Passing slow riders etiquette

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
Just curious about peoples thoughts about passing etiquette.

At the end of 2007 season at Diablo I found myself getting stuck behind slower riders who would not pull over and let me pass. In some cases I would overtake these slower riders after giving them some time to pull over. Once or twice I caused a slower rider to crash as I startled them as I passed.

When I started Downhilling I would always pull over if I heard a faster rider behind me. It seems that there are many riders, particularly at the bike parks who will not pull over when a faster rider is behind them. If there was a faster rider behind me I would still pull over and let them pass even though I am an experienced DHer and go reasonably fast all the time.

I think the bike parks (Whistler, Diablo ... etc) should put signs up advising riders to pull over and let faster riders pass.

Discuss.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Maybe that's because people are busy looking in front of them and not looking back to see is a "faster" rider is behind them. Maybe you're so fast they can't hear you coming..... Maybe if you try out much harder trails at diablo you won;t catch up to the newbies....(Ripper, BMW, Deceit etc)

Let the slow riders live.... you were slow once, in fact i recall passing you several times and you holding me up on several occasions!

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Try and be polite and let them know you're there. Hopefully they aren't trying to hold you up but being a dick probably won't help you get them out of your way. A simple "Hey! Heads up" usually works...

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
You should space out gaps even more before you head down the trail, or if you end up coming up on someone just shout a friendly "Rider!" and say thanks as they let you by. Simple stuff. Now race runs, those are different...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Just run'em over. That way they will get discouraged and quit, leaving the trails all for you.

Seriously though, I just yell out "Behind You", as opposed to saying," on your left".
This way the slower rider can decide to get over to the left or right, which ever is easier for them.
Always say, "Thank's" and/or offer encouragement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Try and be polite and let them know you're there. Hopefully they aren't trying to hold you up but being a dick probably won't help you get them out of your way. A simple "Hey! Heads up" usually works...
Instead of running over fallen riders at the US Open, right? :busted:

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
I'm 99% sure these riders knew I was behind them.

Generally when I spot a slower rider in front of me I drop the brakes ride for a couple of seconds right behind them so that the slower rider realizes that they have a faster rider behind them. Then I get on the brakes and let the slower rider get ahead so they can pull over.

Most of the time the slower rider will pull over and let me pass, probably 70% of the time.

A few times I pulled a dicey overtake because I was sure the rider in front was being a dick.

I ride BMW more than any other track at Diablo.
I'm not posting to boast that I'm some mad fast rider I'm just looking for peoples opinions about passing etiquette. There are lots of riders at Diablo that are much faster than I am.

I guess I don't shout "rider" or "heads up" because I assume with a full face on the rider probably wont hear me.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
If you're riding diablo and passing riders, you're not riding the more difficult trails because those trails are not heavily ridden. Maybe you should start riding trails more up to your skills?

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
I'v literally kicked people over to get them out of the way, try that (assuming you have yelled at least twice before doing so that is)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When I was racing, If someone got in my line during a race run that was their problem not mine. I should of had a stencil and painted it on my bike for every photographer and spectator that I took out. Oops.
Yea, I'm about getting to that point. If you're just hanging out in the middle of the course, its YOUR responsibility to look out for racers, not the person on a bike. The same holds true for practice. There are riders going near/at race speed trying to get the course dialed.

I can't tell you how many times I had to stop/alter course this past weekend at fontana for people just standing in the rock garden.

Mc.Dub

Monkey
Feb 28, 2007
Montreal
It's not always easy to get out of the way. I'm not really fast so I get right out of the way but it's not always the easiest thing to do, plus I hate having someone behind me freaks me out when I'm trying not to kill myself on the trails. lol

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That's just dumb.
Just because your faster on the course doesn't mean your tougher than them. You might just get your ass beat for it.
Yeah, and deliberately staying in front of a large group of faster riders the WHOLE WAY DOWN with full knowledge that they're behind you is a good way to get your ass beat too, or at least knocked off the trail at the earliest possible opportunity...

AzToJrse

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
SOUTH JERSEY
at diablo you don't need to hire bears, they show up of their own accord.
thats true, i saw 4 bears this year. one 300 pounder right at the entrance to upper dominion. a simple yell "rider" should do it, if not tail them down the mountain and explain to them what to do if it happens again, in a polite manner of course.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
thats true, i saw 4 bears this year. one 300 pounder right at the entrance to upper dominion. a simple yell "rider" should do it, if not tail them down the mountain and explain to them what to do if it happens again, in a polite manner of course.
I was course marshalling at the open last year, at one point we almost had to stop practice because there were bears near the course.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
For the most part you can tell when someone is coming up behind you...don't be a dick get over. Yelling rider or rider up when your approaching a slower person usually works...

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
I'v literally kicked people over to get them out of the way, try that (assuming you have yelled at least twice before doing so that is)
whoa, cool guy.

Seriously though, I don't think it's a big deal if/when you are not racing. When you are riding for fun, like at a bike park...that is exactly what you are doing, riding for fun. Sure I have come up on slower riders at Northstar, Mammy and on other trails but I'm not gonna try and pass them in a sketchy spot or yell at them to get out of my way just so I can satisfy my ego.

Now, racing is a different story, I come up on someone (which is rare these days) I will let them know waaay early so they have a chance to move out of the way.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
*sarcastically* literally kicked them of course, sry fore the miss understanding haha

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Rep given to Fonzie.

Never assume someone knows you are behind them, it's hard to hear things happening behind you especially if you're wearing a full face, the wind is rushing through, you're focusing on the trail, etc. It's also pretty lame to be upset with someone for not moving if you don't speak up. I mean, unless you see the person look back and then move over to block or something, they may not know. My experience is that most riders WANT to move out of the way if someone is behind them, but will want to look for a place where they can make room safely without having to stop. So speak up, be a little patient, and recognize that you don't own the trail.

Except for Kidwoo. :monkeydance:

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
the best thing is probably to come up next to them and steer them into the woods off the trail. Then drop a few gears and wheelie away into the mist

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
come on guys, you mean to tell me that NONE of you have handlebar mounted heat seaking missile launchers to eliminate slower riders in front of you? sheesh get with the times.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
I ride my bike to get rid of stress and have fun...if someone is in my way oh well. The only exception is my cousin...I like to ride right up behind him and yell as loud as I can, a couple times I have startled him to the point of wrecking. Even more fun when we are snowboarding :)

Admittedly though, on a trail like A-line where its not hard to let someone pass it gets a little annoying. One time I saw a guy yell at some kid in front him to get the F out of the way on smoke and mirrors of all trails...like you could even get out of the way if you wanted on the woodwork???

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
When I was at mammoth I had a huge problem with begginers that rented downhill bikes and thought they could ride the downhill trails. I'd round a corner hauling a$$ and find someone walking down the trail or riding one footed and I'd have to bail off the trail usually resulting in a crash.

enjoydirt

Chimp
Sep 9, 2007
Seattle WA/ Monterey CA
wait, isn't it the faster riders responsibility to make a safe pass (since they are more under control)?

unless of course its during a race, then slower riders should get off the course and out of the way.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
come on guys, you mean to tell me that NONE of you have handlebar mounted heat seaking missile launchers to eliminate slower riders in front of you? sheesh get with the times.
I have a prototype of that system but can't run it til dw gets finished with submitting the paperwork to the USPTO.

-ska todd

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I'm 99% sure these riders knew I was behind them.

Generally when I spot a slower rider in front of me I drop the brakes ride for a couple of seconds right behind them so that the slower rider realizes that they have a faster rider behind them. Then I get on the brakes and let the slower rider get ahead so they can pull over.

Most of the time the slower rider will pull over and let me pass, probably 70% of the time.

A few times I pulled a dicey overtake because I was sure the rider in front was being a dick.

I ride BMW more than any other track at Diablo.
I'm not posting to boast that I'm some mad fast rider I'm just looking for peoples opinions about passing etiquette. There are lots of riders at Diablo that are much faster than I am.

I guess I don't shout "rider" or "heads up" because I assume with a full face on the rider probably wont hear me.
You assume they won't hear you yelling but you expect them to hear you RIDING? FFS man... just call out! Give em a bit of time and space, make SURE they know you're coming and most of the time they'll get out of your way. If they don't, yell again. If they still haven't gotten out of your way, either pull over and give them a gap, or follow them down and ask them politely at the bottom of the run to move over when people ask them to.

It's not anyone else's responsibility to somehow guess that there's a rider behind them and that they want to overtake, it's your responsibility to make 100% sure they know before you go criticising them or making dodgy passing manoeuvres.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
certain mountains I feel have the problem worse then others.

The absolute worst is coming up to someone and grab a handful of brake, then instead of pulling over, they just glance over their shoulder at you, grab a couple gears and start sprinting to try and pull a gap on you. Unless you are at a worldcup it is the slowest riders getting passed, so you have a beginner rider going way out of control and trying not to get passed, usually resulting in them eating ****...which endangers you obviously. If they acknowledge your presence and do not let you pass, I prefer block passing in a wide corner.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Holler at the slower riders, but give them some time to move. Dont just decide to cut them off and pass them, its a great way to get them, and yourself hurt. When I first started DH, I got cut off by a faster rider, and after I got up from tumbling, I proceeded down the hill, and threw My bike at him. Well I was pissed, he ran me into a tree, never letting me know he was there, and no I didnt hear him, I was concentrating my ass off as it was, wasnt during a race, was just a weekend out.