Quantcast

Bike Position Question

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I have a Surly Cross-Check, and when I spend a considerable amount of time on it, my elbows hurt. Everything else feels fine, Standover, Reach, leg exstention, ETC.

I spend a considerable amount of time on the hoods, and then when I move to the top bars or the drops, my Elbows really start to hurt.

Is this a stem length thing? Seat position? I'm stumped. can anyone help me?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
try a shorter stem first. don't touch you're seat. It has nothing to do with that. Are you locking you're elbows when on the hoods?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
^ agreed about not touching your saddle... people used to say "move your saddle back, that'll take the pressure off your arms." While that's true, the saddle should be positioned strictly for your knees/legs.

You should be able to ride leaning forward, as in the drops, without using your hands -- assuming your balance is good enough -- but using your ab muscles.

Shorter stem might help, but if you're already at 80mm, then it's either your stomach muscles that need help or you might be on the wrong bike... too long of a top-tube.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So...... do curl ups and don't go below an 80?

My Bike is a 60. I'm 6'3" and the 58 felt to small. I asked a bunch of guys at the shop I worked at when I ordered it, and I asked some friends at other shops who are more roadie oriented, and they all said go with the 60. I guess I'll start with the stem length, and then maybe try a different rise. My elbows arent locked per se, but they are more extended then they should be.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Riding on the hoods always feels like an unnatural way to have your hands. Switch hand positions often -- drops, hoods, flats, corners.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Skookum said:
What's the hoods?

I know this is going to be hard for you, but on these things called "road bikes" and "Cross bikes," they have a hadlebar that curls under. The brakes are mounted where the bar starts to curve, and that is called the "brake hood," or "hood(s)" for short.

There is another type of hood also, but I hope that you know where you can find that one ;)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BigMike said:
I know this is going to be hard for you, but on these things called "road bikes" and "Cross bikes," they have a hadlebar that curls under. The brakes are mounted where the bar starts to curve, and that is called the "brake hood," or "hood(s)" for short.

There is another type of hood also, but I hope that you know where you can find that one ;)
haha i have a road bike i just never ride it, and i just didn't know. i'm caught up now, but if you tell me my road bike has a vulva, well then, i'm just not gonna believe you....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BigMike said:
So...... do curl ups and don't go below an 80?

My Bike is a 60. I'm 6'3" and the 58 felt to small. I asked a bunch of guys at the shop I worked at when I ordered it, and I asked some friends at other shops who are more roadie oriented, and they all said go with the 60. I guess I'll start with the stem length, and then maybe try a different rise. My elbows arent locked per se, but they are more extended then they should be.
first, curl ups? You mean sit-ups/crunches? Yeah. Some people are comfortable going with really short or long stems, I'm thinking that if you need something outside of 90-120mm, then you might be on the wrong bike.

As for how your shop sold you the bike, yeah, that's exactly how it's done... guess, then ask other people who aren't sure either.

Did anyone actually measure you or atleast toss the bike up on a trainer, make adjustments, and see how it all works?

How much lower are your handlebars than you saddle. Your bars should be at least 5" lower.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
LordOpie said:
first, curl ups? You mean sit-ups/crunches? Yeah. Some people are comfortable going with really short or long stems, I'm thinking that if you need something outside of 90-120mm, then you might be on the wrong bike.

As for how your shop sold you the bike, yeah, that's exactly how it's done... guess, then ask other people who aren't sure either.

Did anyone actually measure you or atleast toss the bike up on a trainer, make adjustments, and see how it all works?

How much lower are your handlebars than you saddle. Your bars should be at least 5" lower.

yeah, I meant sit ups :p

And I worked at the shop, asked my co workers, and asked my friends at another shop that specialized in road type stuff. It wasn't a "hey, I bet we can sell this guy on a bike" type of sale. As for the bars being 5" lower than the seat, I don't think they are that much lower, but I'll measure it when I get home. Its not a road bike, and I do use it on the trails, so its set up for kind of a mixture. The seat is not AS high as it would be if it were a roadbike, just incase I need to bail, get off the back, etc. Thanks for the help and the pointers, i'll measure it later and get back to ya :)

And Skooks, I thought you were being facetious, so I was being sarcastic back :) Its all good :monkey:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BigMike said:
As for the bars being 5" lower than the seat, I don't think they are that much lower, but I'll measure it when I get home.
oh man, you took me seriously. Which suggests that no one who had a clue helped you fit the bike to you. 5"?? Maybe for a competitive time trialist?

I suggest your bars be even with your saddle or slightly below. If you can't get them that high, then you might be on the wrong bike, tho there is help with the "Delta Stem Riser" from Performance or something similar... tho people will likely tease you.

As for your saddle being lower for bail-out reasons, that's cool, but you'll find it's not good on long road (as opposed to cx) rides.

Get your saddle adjusted to a comfortable position (if it's not already) BEFORE you do anything else. Make one small adjustment at a time. Once done, then address bars/stem.

read this -- http://peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Have fun storming the castle!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I only took you semi seriously ;)

My seat is very comfortable, like I said, the only thing wrong is my elbows. upon closer inspection, I found that the right brake is slightly lower and a bit turned in, so that may have somthing to do with it.

and just for sh!ts and giggles, since I am home now, I measured it, and my bars are a little over 2 inches lower than my seat :D