Quantcast

bike pr0n and the dirty thoughts it causes

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Brought home my brand new GT ID-XC 1.0 today...mmmmmm :drool:

Who wants a Fox Float 100R? I want something lighter. Skareb, Minute 2, Reba, F100x, maybe even a Marathon.

I'm also stuck in a sticky conundrum. I'm one of the Shimano Hater Mafia, and I don't like Dual Control (I LOVE the SRAM thumbies), so I was thinking I could sell off my shifters/levers/brakes and get SRAM X.9 and some decent hydraulic brakes, but then I realized that while solo 24 Hour racing (Which I will do a lot of on this bike...), my thumbs get really sore and tired, and about 12 hours in I can't shift with my thumb alone (I had to "palm" my old XT trigs). So I thought, "hmm...maybe this dual control won't be so bad, even though I like the shifting of the SRAM stuff better..."

I dunno. If someone is willing to give me enough money for it I'd do it. Oh well. I may just leave it like it is and ride the piss out of it. I got a kickass team deal on it...yay! HAPPY!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
manziman said:
nice bike. I like all the kids toys and lincoln logs on the floor..or..are those yours?
Nope, I'm stuck with sharing a room with my 6 year old brother until March when my family's house is finished. :mad:

mobius said:
Fox fork=good keep it!
It's not that bad, but I like having compression adjustment and lockout, and it's a bit heavy for my tastes (3.8~lbs), I want something at or under 3.5, this is going to be used for XC racing as well,

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I know a couple of people who might be interested in that Fox. I'll have them PM you.

Oh and nice bike... you gonna use it in Old Pueblo?

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
are they still using I-drive? can you hook us up with a shot of the other side of the bike? also, anyone have any experience with the DTswiss shock? I've seen them around, always been curious about their performance.

looks sweet man. new bikes are the best!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Echo said:
I know a couple of people who might be interested in that Fox. I'll have them PM you.

Oh and nice bike... you gonna use it in Old Pueblo?
Sweet...that'd be cool. And no on Old Pueblo, I wish I could be down there, but my new team deal dictated that I had to buy one of the shop's bikes. If I got this one, no Pueblo, but my option to ride Pueblo would've been a GT Zaskar hardtail (Equipped with crap...blah). Unless I run upon a pile of money, I won't be able to get down there :(

squarewheels said:
are they still using I-drive? can you hook us up with a shot of the other side of the bike? also, anyone have any experience with the DTswiss shock? I've seen them around, always been curious about their performance.
Yep on the i-Drive, they just modified it for 04 by getting rid of that eccentric BB, dropped some weight, made it more efficient, etc. I really like it, it rides like a VPP. I'll try and get a shot of the other side today. The shock is pretty nice, but no verdict, I haven't trail ridden with it yet, just dropped curbs in the parking lot. It's really plush at first, and then ramps up and gets really progressive near the end of the stroke. Supposedly it's also extremely light...I dunno, I'm liking the new Fox RP3, I might switch it out, depending on how it performs trailwise.

MMcG said:
Nice bike - but can you really notice .3 pounds of weight in a fork?????
I can...I really like to have lighter front ends on my bikes. I do draw the line at a SID, however ;)

Kanter said:
Whats it weigh now?
I think 25-27ish, I haven't thrown it on a scale yet.

I'm also probably upgrading the wheels to what comes on the 2005 version, XT's laced to DT Swiss XR4.1s, that should lighten it up a bit, these Syncros rims feel heavy.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
naw...hugi 240s, splined rotors then the dt rims. that would lighten up a LOT.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Nice bike!

I just got a new XC bike as well with XT int. shifters and i'm still on the fence. I do have some Juicy 5s and SRAM X.9 drivetrain waiting to be put on, but i dont know what i'm going to do.

Oh and keep your Fox.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
xbluethunderx-My superlight for this season has the dual control as well,and like you i wanted Sram.I have to say after some time using them i am coming around.Believe or not there are times when braking and shifting at the same time comes in handy :thumb:

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
lovebunny said:
why woulld you need to shift UP and brake at the same time? thats a sweet bike by the way. can u use a bb tool to work on those pivots? thats what it looks like
Thats exactly what you use. Good idea IMO.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah..........

*Wipes tear from eye*

Why is there a "catholic girls guide to sex on your dresser?"

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
chicodude01 said:
Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah..........

*Wipes tear from eye*

Why is there a "catholic girls guide to sex on your dresser?"
I was hoping someone would notice that...I believe it's my gfs, I'm borrowing it. Sweetly funny. :evil:

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I like the miniature bike by the stereo. Gezz i remember when those things were popular. I had one of a mountain bike. Nice bike.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
xbluethunderx said:
Who wants a Fox Float 100R? I want something lighter. Skareb, Minute 2, Reba, F100x, maybe even a Marathon.

I'm also stuck in a sticky conundrum. I'm one of the Shimano Hater Mafia, and I don't like Dual Control (I LOVE the SRAM thumbies), so I was thinking I could sell off my shifters/levers/brakes and get SRAM X.9 and some decent hydraulic brakes, but then I realized that while solo 24 Hour racing (Which I will do a lot of on this bike...), my thumbs get really sore and tired, and about 12 hours in I can't shift with my thumb alone (I had to "palm" my old XT trigs). So I thought, "hmm...maybe this dual control won't be so bad, even though I like the shifting of the SRAM stuff better..."
I'm not sure if you've looked into changing your shift cable to the 1.1mm stuff vs. the 1.2. Also, personally I prefer to run full length cable housing to cut down on the chance of contamination getting into the shifting lines. The combo of clean and thinner cable might help w/ your shifting fatigue. I'm kinda in the same boat w/ my thumbs. I had suffered some injuries from skiing and now they're pretty weak. I don't do 24s, but in a 4 hour ride, I've yet to even notice fatigue. What I run are Avid Flack Jackets (good housing) & some Sram 1.1 cables.
Ow, also, and this is goona sound spammie, but I'll trade you your F100R for a Sid Race, 2001 w/ 2003 uppers, 8" steerer + some $$.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Looks strangely like GT is trying to bring back the URT design.

EDIT: Never mind the URT comment, just took another look... pretty freaky design...

How does it ride? Specifically, how well does the suspension work when you are standing?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Pau11y said:
Ow, also, and this is goona sound spammie, but I'll trade you your F100R for a Sid Race, 2001 w/ 2003 uppers, 8" steerer + some $$.
No thanks on the Sid...would steepen my HT angle too much, plus, well...it's a Sid :p

golgiaparatus said:
Looks strangely like GT is trying to bring back the URT design.

EDIT: Never mind the URT comment, just took another look... pretty freaky design...

How does it ride? Specifically, how well does the suspension work when you are standing?
Yeah, it's definently not a URT, but it's a freak. I played with one of those Klein URTs...ech. It's my first FS bike, so I don't have much experience in how they "normally" feel, but it rides really nicely, I tried a Spider VPP and it rides somewhat along those lines. According to GT, it's still almost a 4-bar with major modifications. It does have a tiny bit of bob when I sprint out of the saddle, but not much at all, compared to other FS bikes I've ridden with stable platform valved shocks (Superlight, NRS, Fuel, Dakar), as the DT Swiss doesn't have it. It is also fully active when I hit stuff off the saddle. I'll be honest...I almost got a Titus Racer-X 100, but the five hundred dollar price diff (1500 and 2000) swung me towards the GT.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I want my Homegrown back. I miss the snappy feel of a hardtail and the 20 lb weight... I guess I can't judge yet, as I haven't taken it on a true "trail ride" (Everythings covered in snow...does snow biking count?), but the full sus is bothering me. Especially when pedaling in the granny, the suspension doesn't bob but it will sag more to a point that it sort of rakes out my headtube and feels chopperish. Any solutions for that? I also don't like how I can't just push down on my pedals and fly 5 feet into the air...

The cranks are creaking, and the drivetrain is already having problems. I'm hoping these are just break-in issues that I can fix without having to replace anything...

Edit: The brakes own. I think I'm keeping the Fox, I called them up and they said I could get RLC right side internals (So I get lockout) for 175 bucks.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
xbluethunderx said:
<snip>

The cranks are creaking, and the drivetrain is already having problems. I'm hoping these are just break-in issues that I can fix without having to replace anything...
Dude - it's a GT. You might as well get used to the replacement game right away........... ;)

-S.S.-

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
Dude - it's Shimano. You might as well get used to the replacement game right away........... ;)

-S.S.-
:mumble: f$#^%@^cking sh!tmano...

If I only had a b...SRAM... :nopity:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
No - I meant you're just getting broken in - you'll shortly start replacing pivots, bearings/bushings, rear triangle, etc....... Look at it as a warm-up of things to come. :thumb:

-S.S.-
I swear to god...if I have to start replacing **** like that, I will steal a Titus from my shop. "Blah blah oh the IDXC is such a good bike blah blah".... :nopity:

We shall see how she does in the first race of the year on Saturday.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
thunderx-like you i just came off a ss hardtail for two years and just went to a fs.i had the same intial reaction.the more i ride it and learn to use the suspension to my advantage the more i like it.does it sprint like my 20# ht,nope.but i believe the pro's will outweigh the cons once the dust settles

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
chicodude01 said:
Good god look at that roadbike ;)

Your bike still sucks :)
Thats like something I would say :rolleyes:

Anyways nice bike, to complicated for my taste, I like very simple sleek hardtail bikes for xc. I'm a huge minimalist, who can;t spell. :( :eek:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
If I don't like it in a couple months, I'll sell the frame and fork and buy one of the new Felt hardtail frames and a skareb. Or I'll just buy one when I save up enough money...god how i love the hardtail :D