Quantcast

Bike Questions

polo

Chimp
May 26, 2004
Hi!

I am planning on buying a new bike and have a few qustions concerning the configuration of the bike I have in mind:

No Saint Angel XT . The bike is from an internet shop here in Germany, modifications are possible. Price: 1250€ without pedals
Frame: No Saint Angel (18", 1680g, 5 year guarantee)
Fork: Rock Shox Duke SL (80mm, black)
Stem, Handlebars, Seatpost: Ritchey Pro
Bar Ends, Grips: Ritchey WCS
Headset: Cane Creek ZS2
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
Shimano XT 2004
Brakes: Magura HS 33
Wheelset: Mavic Cross Land UST
Tires: Continental Explorer Pro UST
Pedals: Shimano 520: + 25€; Shimano 540: + 39€

My questions:
1. How are your experiences with the Mavic Wheelset? The alternative would be XT Hubs with Mavic 719
2. I realize this is an almost ideological question, but: should I go for the Magura brakes or rather Avid V-Brakes? Which ones?
3. What is the difference between the Shimano Pedals mentioned?
4. Any other recommendations / critique?

Thanks!
Paul

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
First off... the link to the bike didn't work.

Mavic wheelsets are top quality, but can be hard/expensive to tune/repair/true. Consider Hope hubs, not XTs, as the alternative... similar costs, much lighter.

The hydraulic rim brakes are expensive - probably good, but expensive. You could get Avid Mechanical discs for less, and they are excellent discs. IMO, vbrakes are vbrakes... if you don't want to go with disks, go with a cheaper rim brake and save yourself some cash. I ran Shimano Deore vbrakes for a few years with no problems.

The pedals are very similar in price, design, and weight. I'm not sure there's a noticable difference between the two, except for color.

The only think I'd reconsider is the Duke, and that's just personal preference. I'm not a big fan of Rock Shox, with the exception of the SID, but that's just me.

polo

Chimp
May 26, 2004
Thanks for the comments!
I can't get the Link to work :rolleyes:
but here's how to get there:
www.ciclib.de => "Räder" (top left corner) => "MTB" => lowest of the 3 special offers "No Saint Angel XT Bike"

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Sounds like a nice build. Just to reiterate what jackson said, if you are concerned at all about weight, stay away from the XT hubs. Be sure to post pics if you get the bike! :thumb: