Quantcast

Bike rack needed for DH

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
So I'm looking at getting rid of my truck and getting an SUV for traveling to races. Problem is I need to be able to take 4 DH bikes on a hitch. Is there anything that will withstand long road trips with 4 DH bikes on the back?

Hitch mount preferred.

Let me know your thoughts good or bad on some racks.

Thanks.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
How about a small trailer? I am assuming if you have 4 DH bikes you have 4 passengers. It will free up cabin space and make long trips a lot more comfortable. 4 bikes and gear can go on the trailer where as with the rack you would have all the gear in the cabin (or perhaps in a roof rack). Given the price of new racks that fit your requirement, you could pick up a used trailer. However, racks are much easier to store in the off season than a trailer is. Anyway, just an alternative idea.

ReductiMat

Chimp
Jun 16, 2008
I've been using a 1UP rack for about seven months now and it has held up fine.

My buddy just got a new KUAT rack, and that seems well built too.

Both can be expanded to 4 bikes.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Wil

Our Yakima Holdup with the plus 2 lasted 3 seasons and over 40K of driving through Summer and winter. I just bought a new one for 2010

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Wil

Our Yakima Holdup with the plus 2 lasted 3 seasons and over 40K of driving through Summer and winter. I just bought a new one for 2010
Nice......those North Shore racks look great...

Rich whats the model number on the one you have? nevermind....I saw it's the holdup............works good with 4 DH bikes?

Last edited:

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I'm a fan of the NS racks (because they have a 6 bike option) but it definatly has a few downsides. It's hard for younger/smaller riders to load their own bikes, so be prepared to be doing a lot of lifting. Some bikes (especially those with adjustable 1.5 headtubes) don't fit without bending the rack. the bikes are less protected if you get hit/back into something. Hopefully that won't be an issue, but I've seen it happen.

That being said, the NS rack is a favorite of mine and holds the bikes VERY stable for shuttling and is built to last.

-KT

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I use a Saris rack that fits 2 and can expand to 4. It works great and is super solid for holding DH bikes. The only complaint that I have is that the rack used to block the gate on my jeep from opening but I have a new truck for going to the mountain this year so that's not going to be a problem anymore.